Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need experienced bandsters input please

Terri Doodle - You seem wise - before I jump off this "band" wagon adn cancel my surgery for fear of a lifetime of pain, PBing, slime, agony, vomit bags in my purse and multiple cc changes - can I just eat very carefully - always chewing to the nth degree and make it okay?? Please say yes - right now I seem to be putting it in God's hands and yours too - no pressure, though!

I've always loved food.....Southern food, Mexican food, home cooking, eating out - that was my family's focus and our entertainment and our social events. I lived mainly on carbohydrates, altho I didn't realize it until I changed my focus to Protein (I use 100 grams/day). I didn't have any idea what a difference having a band would make! Now I have very little interest in food...it is almost aggravating that I have to stop what I'm doing and put food in my body. That sounds crazy to a pre-banded person, but for me it's true. It's not a diet....it's just a new way of planning my 'intake.' I really like my Protein products so they take care of a lot of my nutritional needs although not all - it's not a diet, it's just a plan for keeping myself fed.

One thing I am having to work on is replacing the time/socialization/entertainment that NOT focusing on food has given me. I've never had any hobbies (except cooking, maybe) and I no longer work (the SMO life forced me to retire early). I realize it's important to replace one thing you are losing with another.....I haven't found it yet but I'm doing good and I'm happy. The right thing will come along as I regain my health and my life.

Best wishes to you..........:)

Terri Doodle - You seem wise - before I jump off this "band" wagon adn cancel my surgery for fear of a lifetime of pain, PBing, slime, agony, vomit bags in my purse and multiple cc changes - can I just eat very carefully - always chewing to the nth degree and make it okay?? Please say yes - right now I seem to be putting it in God's hands and yours too - no pressure, though!

Hi, I am not Terry, but I can answer that. If you eat slowly, take very tiny

bites, and chew until there is nothing left to chew, you won't throw up.

We learn pretty quickly which foods are just not worth the bother and

cause trouble. It just takes awhile to develop these new eating habits, the extra chewing, etc. Once you get something stuck, and you experience

what that feels like, it will become more of a habit to chew like crazy.

Well, you're asking someone who is totally 100% in LOVE with their band if you should cancel your surgery??? :)Hell NO don't cancel your surgery!!!!!

The thing that newbies don't understand is this: yes, you will get stuck from time to time. Yes, you will PB every once in a while. Yes, you will slime sometimes. But it's not like that all the time!! Living with a new band has a learning curve to it. The climb up that learning curve has a few bumps along the way....but once you get to the top it's pretty darn smoothe sailing. Is it horrible?? No. Is it hard? Sometimes, but not really. Is it painful? Sometimes, but just for a little while...and you've learned something that gets you one step farther up the curve.

92% of LBT bandsters say they would do it again. 92%....that's pretty good odds.

LOL...and thanks for the "wise" comment. I don't think I'm 'wise'...but I do shoot from the hip. :guess

Good luck to you!!

I REALLY APRECIATE ALL THE WONDERFUL REPLYS TO MY POST!

Tat was the one thing I was worried about with the band. I can deal with the no bread, it will be hard, but I can accept it. I have no problem with the pain and I think I can handle the bandster hell. It is just the focus on food that does me in.

I have all of my dr, surgon, psychyatrist, and nutritionist apointments between the 17th and the 18th and am so ready to start this journey to the new improved me.

I already am working on eating more Protein and finding some smoothie recipies and ways to get all my nutrients in. I think I am prepared for whatever they throw at me.

I apreciate EVERYTHING you guys help me with.

that is very true I can't eat any of that except some chicken on a good day . it took me a year and a half of fighting this band and getting sick .it was horrible. but I fought and fought and finally i gave in which is why i had it put on in the first place . and thank god the band won . now 75lbs lighter i feel so good and food is not a pleasure anymore i just eat what i need to and what i need to . you have to set your in mind that you can give these things up or you are in for a long hard road !!! I eat a lot of mashed potatoes , Soup, milk , lots of mushys and 2 years banded now

good luck !!

that is very true I can't eat any of that except some chicken on a good day . I eat a lot of mashed potatoes , Soup, milk , lots of mushys and 2 years banded now

That's really too bad. I never eat mashed potatoes, hardly ever eat soup, the milk I have is with my high Fiber Cereal. I just finished a chicken salad

with fresh broccoli and spinach leaves. I have had 4 fills and can

basically eat whatever I want. I just chew very well.

I know there are some people who have spasms in their esophagus

and they have trouble eating. I guess I am really lucky.

it's different for everyone... what they can swallow and what not. your band should be slightly uncomfortable i think.... as soon as i get comfortable with my fill level, i get a quarter fill. if i can eat my meal without having to take a hell of a long time and not have trouble swallowing my food at least once.. i feel as though i need more of a fill. that is how i am managing to lose weight. it works