Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two days post op, reality

Hi,

I had surgery Monday afternoon, august 15th.

I had been reading this site for months getting ready.

Ill just give a few tips if anyone new is on here and haven't had it done yet.

I was nervous until I got to the hospital, everyone was wonderful and explained everything that was going to happen.

Ive had surgery before.

When I awoke and was brought to recovery, I was in a lot of pain and was nauseous. I would do it again in a minute.

I stayed there a while. The guy next to me was talking normally with the nurses, I could have killed him.

Turns out he just had a minor procedure, I forget what, so Ill let it go.

Before hand I had heard many people say no pain, piece of cake etc, I think they must have had amnesia regarding that first day!!

Once in my room, the nursing staff was great they kept giving me anti nausea medicine.

There was a pain remote control you could press every 8 minutes. I pressed it a lot and tried to sleep.< /p>

I got up and walked 8 hours after surgery.

During that first night, I couldn't sleep much because the nurses checked your vital signs often.

The next day was like a miracle, I had some abdominal pain, but that was it. I got up and went to the bathroom by myself.

I can drink Water, jello( yuk) and yes.

Regarding what to bring, I stressed over it

The only think I used from my bag was my phone charger, chapstick, face cleanser wipes, and very import was Biotin spray. It moistened your mouth.

I was nauseous and could eat the ice chips, you couldn't have water till later.

It was like a miracle, the day after surgery I got up every two hours and walked the halls.

I still had some abdominal pain, gas? , not sure.

2 days out and I have high hopes!!

The fear is the worst part. I spent 10 hours in the hospital and went home with no pain pills needed. Went to the grocery the next day. Went to a huge mall four day later". I felt wonderful. I could have worked in two days later if needed. I was so afraid and like everyone that posts here we squirm and worry about something going wrong. This has been the easiest procedure in my life. Could not be happier. My husband had so many health problems I was terrified. He is a new man at 69, and life is so good.

I definitely experienced pain first day and nausea. I actually began dry heaving what felt like thick burps but nothing else coming up. My room was private and I was encouraged to walk almost an hour after waking up. I was groggy from the anesthesia and my poor nurse was clapping and directing me to keep focused. I found out that my doctor did not allow patients to have on demand pain meds, so I had to ask which I did twice. I was not allowed anything no ice chips, no Water, not even wet swabs for the entire afternoon until the next day. It sucked. I brought with me a change of clothes, a kindle, my purse, a phone charger, and my embroidery kit. Overall my stay was pretty good and even got boring towards the end. I had a private room and my lovely fiancée stayed the night and was really my rock.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

Yeah I think I woke up and the pain hit me like a ton of bricks. But they had me set up to give myself my own button to control pain. In truth I slept most of my first day and that evening I was up walking and going to the bathroom. I think they let you control your pain because you better know how much or how little you will need.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App