Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throat infections after sleeve?

Hi all! I was sleeved 11/21/14. All was going great and i made my weight loss goal by about 10 months in. However starting july 2015 i have had one peculiar side effect: chronic throat infections.

Not talking like little scratchy throats. I am talking requires IV fluids with steroids, then oral levaquin and steroids for a minimum of a week. I am now in the middle of my 6th infection in a year. Docs keep chalking it up to having a 3 year old. But neither she nor my husband catch what i get.

I can only conclude that it has something to do with my sleeve. Something to do with the loss of good bacteria, the overuse of PPI's (they have me on pantoprazole still), the diet slipping (i *may* have enjoyed too much alcohol of late - all celebratory). Is it maybe an absorption issue? I don't know exactly. All I know is I have to figure this out.

Wondering if anyone else has had this side effect? Anything that has helped? I am getting my ENT and a new GI on the case this week cause I have had enough.

Could your throat problem stem from stomach acid eroding the lining of your throat?--GERD

There is a study out now that is connecting long term use of PPIs to kidney disease. Maybe there's a connection to your problem as well.

I will follow your thread to see what others have to offer.

I believe some interesting research might be in order.

In the meantime, feel better, Friend.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches