Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little lost... help?

Hi All! I'm almost 3 weeks post op (7/22/16) and so far I'm doing...ok.

I say ok because I seem to be fighting my head more than anything. Since 1 week post op i havent had any issues drinking and I'm ahead of the curve on eating. Nothing seems to bother me as long as I take small bites and eat small amounts. I'm doing pretty good at that but I can't seem to wrap my head around it all mentally. Because I dont have any problems eating or drinking, my brain tells me this isn't working. :( I know I shouldnt but I find myself obsessing over the scale (I'm down 14lbs) and any little up-tick (even just a few ounces) just reinforces my feelings of dread that I'm going to fail at this. I'm eating Proteins first and hardly anything else but it freaks me out and I find myself feeling bad for what I eat and how often I eat even when its small amounts.

I'm not at the point yet where I can eat veggies or fruits (which kills me since I actually do like them) and my brain says all the soft foods are whats killing me. I don't WANT my head to sabatoge me but I feel lost in this. I had my surgery in mexcio so talking to them is less than helpful.

Any suggestions are most appreciated. :)

This sounds to me like this is perhaps a job best handled by a clinical counselor.

Have you spoken to your surgeon or NUT about eating veggies if they are steamed and EXTREMELY soft? I was eating veggies at 3 weeks post-op, but I made sure that they were super-soft. A few bites and full. I did stay away from extremely fibrous veggies like celery or asparagus, but broccoli and carrots were fine as long as I only ate the florets and again, made sure they were super soft.

If you do get clearance for some veggies, as with any food, take a bite and wait a few minutes to see how your sleeve accepts it before taking more.

I also obsessed over the scale in the beginning, and I've quickly come to the realization that our weight changes throughout the day by a few ounces to even a pound or two. For instance I learned quickly that you weight about a pound or so more after a shower, even after you dry off because your skin retains some of the moisture..lol...I always freaked out about that. The best thing to do for me was to weigh in once a week, and try to do it at the exact same time of day. I chose to do it right when I wake up (after using the restroom...lol...tmi I know but that liquid can actually be enough to impact the scale). This allowed me to not be so obsessive throughout the day.

Since starting this, and making the decision to make my diet consist of whole foods, the only thing I count anymore is Protein, as I feel as though everything else is coming from healthy sources of food. I workout 5 times a week also, and that has helped me tremendously as well. It keeps my mind busy and helps me stay positive knowing I'm doing the right things to succeed so that, at the end of the week when I weigh, even if it's not as much loss as I want to see, I know I'm making the right choices it motivates me to continue on that path.

Try some new things. Take it slow. Whenever you have questions, speak with your surgeon/NUT. They are there to help you.

Don't wait for things to get "back to normal". Create your own normal. Do that and you'll find YOUR OWN path to success!! Best of luck!

@@smg She was sleeved in Mexico and doesn't have a NUT or surgeon to go to.

@@GACaldwell I agree that some therapy may be helpful. I found it very helpful (pre-op). Try contacting your local hospital to see if they have a Bariatric Support Group. You may find some support there - even though you had your surgery in Mexico. If it helps - my plan suggests eating 5-6 small meals per day (every 3 hours). Protein first - but suggests produce as well (no seeds or nuts for 6 weeks) - no Pasta, bread, rice, etc. long-term (like forever! lol).

At 3 weeks we are supposed to be eating 1-2 ozs of purees (over 20 minutes) - wait 30 minutes and then drink 2-4 ozs of a Protein liquid over the next hour. The ozs increase to 3-4 ozs at week 4 I believe. You should not feel bad or guilty about how often you are eating if you stick to a schedule (don't graze). Stay off the scale for now. Your body is healing and adjusting. You've done well with losing 14 lbs so far - just keep getting protein, fluids and Vitamins - and it will continue to come off. Look into a therapist with experience with bariatric patients - I truly believe we all could benefit from a good therapist. Good luck.

@@KristenLe Ah I see...didn't catch that. Man I don't know what I would do without my NUT and surgeon's team. They made all the difference for me. More power to you!

first I want you to know that your feelings are completely normal. I felt the same way at your point in recovery! it's a wild ride, but just keep following your program and you will find a year from now you are somewhere physically that you can hardly dare hope for even now.

all the plans differ @@KristenLe I never had a puree stage. :D I was on a wide variety of soft foods at that point and could have things like canned carrots or green Beans if I had my Protein first.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I appreciate the insight and will keep plugging forward. Unfortunately, since I live in a small town there are no support groups here (hence why i joined the boards!) But my primary care dr is supportive and I'll be following up with him. I just have to be patient. (Not my best virtue! LOL)

Make an appt. with your doctor, a bariatric nutritionist and check into counseling. I fear that I will be in the same boat. I have surgery Sept. 13th! I think that I am going to learn real quick how food messes with your head.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks everyone for the replies! I appreciate the insight and will keep plugging forward. Unfortunately, since I live in a small town there are no support groups here (hence why i joined the boards!) But my primary care dr is supportive and I'll be following up with him. I just have to be patient. (Not my best virtue! LOL)

In addition to BariatricPal, you might want to look into Overeaters anonymous. You can find meeting lists, podcasts, and other resources online at OA.org.