Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my problem port

Lisa, sending you big (((hugs))) and encouragement! Congratulations on the amazing weight loss!! You will get this straightened out! Just one ?, why did Lopez and Larry refuse "to let you bring up the past"? The past is what has caused all your problems since being banded! And Lopez is going to discount your hospital and endoscopy charges. Yipee! That's mighty big of him, since he probably owns a big portion of the facilities he uses. I don't mean to be negative here, but the jerk could have called you several months ago. It's apparent he's keeping an eye on on this board and knows about your situation. You deserve to have a responsible doctor that can help you so you can live a healthy life.

Congratulations on 66 pounds lost! That is awesome. You really are fighting a noble battle.

I was out freezing my butt off on our annual motorcycle toy run and missed your port closing. I hope it closes up again and you get everything buttoned down -- new port and all. I am hoping and praying for the best for you.

Why did Lopez and Larry refuse "to let you bring up the past"? That's a darn good question and one I addressed adamantly. Larry put me through to Nora on a 3 way call and the first thing I asked is "why have you guys ignored me." But Larry cut me off and told me not to bring up the past, so I tried again. He then disconnected me from Nora, which made flames shoot out of my nose. He told me that he's here to help me get my problem fixed and bringing up the past won't help. I told him bringing up the past is the only way to resolving the issues that will get my problems corrected in the future. When Lopez called, he only wanted to talk about resolving my medical problem. I'm at their mercy, so I let it go because I can't afford to step on any toes with people that are helping me. I'm exhausted, and I just need to be fixed up. Damn leaky port is just a flowin' away. I always think of the positive, so I imagine the liquid is melted fat just flowing out of my body. Maybe visual imagery helped me lose all the weight!

Becky, today was my regular bike group in addition to the toy run. We drove the truck to our meeting place, and it broke my heart to stay behind. I decided to stay off my motorcycle in fear it might open my closed wound. I could've went, considering the wound opened anyway. It's icy and raining here so my Angels temporarily closed the wound to trick me so I wouldn't ride... they're always watching out for me.

Lisa, your spirit is amazing and your strength truly inspirational. What you've had to deal with would have done in many a lesser soul, myself included. And to lose weight amid all of it!! You're the bomb, lady. :D I can't wait for the day when I come here to read that you have a new port and a cleanly healed incision. PARTY TIME!!!

(Note to worried newbies reading this: It is VERY UNCOMMON to have a wound not heal for months and months. And the band is made of inert materials, so it's almost unheard-of for it to be "rejected" in people with normal immune systems. Infection is always possible with surgery, of course, but these things usually clear up quickly. Lisa's case is VERY unusual.)

Lisa awesome job on your weight loss (melting fat) and on keeping a positive outlook. You are a inspiration to all of us. One day at a time is all you can do and you have done it well. Port or no port, look what you have accomplished, I believe with all that you have been through nothing can stop you.

I was so glad to read that Lopez is going to step up to the plate. Now maybe you can get to the bottom of all of this. What ever it may be, we are all here for you and I know that you will be fine.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,

Oh, Lisa, it sounds like if there is a difficult path you will find it. And walk it. It's not enough to be strong, it's not enough to have good intentions, it's not enough to call folks and complain. But it is enough to be tough. And you're certainly tough enough.

Time passes. Things heal. The tough survive. You will survive, and your story will inspire others. You will overcome the port and band problems, and you will beat food. Look at all you've been through and still survived, and iced the cookie of that survival with the sweet frosting of success. Down 66lbs. You are triumphant.

What a tale you have to tell! I, who have never met you other than here on this board, am proud of you. Proud to know you. Priviledged to call you friend. When you need comfort a part of me will be there in spirit. That's my hand on your shoulder, and that's me whispering "You Can Do It".

"Lisa's case is VERY unusual." Yes, it is. Many will tell you LISA is very unsual, but that's me! Even Lopez said rejection only happens to a small percentage. Larry at Inamed told me there's a 13 year-old girl that rejected her port. She had her port removed and is doing pretty well with just the band. If this wound was closed, I wouldn't be concerned with a new port yet. I still have restriction. The only reason I want a new port now is because I want to resolve this open wound. If they move the tube, maybe it can heal. And since I'll have to go under anesthesia for the endoscopy, it's better to have everything taken care of at once. Now I just have to figure out the who, what, when, where and how$.

Thanks, Whip. I honestly would not have handled this alone. I wasn't handling it very well for awhile, but I'm good now. There are people out there with bands unaware of this boards. All I have to do is post an SOS and people crawl out of the woodwork with suggestions, help, support, phone calls. I have peace of mind knowing I'm not alone. I hope one day my experience can help someone else. Then it will worth it.

(Note to worried newbies reading this: It is VERY UNCOMMON to have a wound not heal for months and months. And the band is made of inert materials, so it's almost unheard-of for it to be "rejected" in people with normal immune systems. Infection is always possible with surgery, of course, but these things usually clear up quickly. Lisa's case is VERY unusual.)

Thanks for adding this, Alexandra. Very helpful to hear this. I have been following this thread and since I am still in the research phase, was kinda getting nervous.

Sonia

First, Lisa, congratulations on your weight loss. I think you're very pretty and I hope you're not offended but your picture reminds me of Lindsey Lohan. :D

Second, and this is just something to think on and not anything of which I have any evidence whatsoever...but I was talking to my husband about this Dr. Lopez and the problems that people have been reporting. I also talked about how he's in Mexico and people get the banding done there because it's less expensive.

One of the things my husband asked right away was "Is he using the same band?" His thought was that there could be a possibility that he's using a cheaper one that he's having made elsewhere which perhaps doesn't have the "purity" of materials, which is why (1) his surgeries are far less expensive; (2) he doesn't report his problems to Inamed; (3) he has more erosions; (4) your port is being rejected; and (5) your port has been "lost" before it could reach Inamed--unless that last one was a joke on your part.

He would obviously have to order some ports from Inamed because they would know if he hadn't but my husband said he could drive down his costs by also using a cheaper non-Inamed band on some patients.

Now Lopez wants to remove yours. If your body rejects the band eventually, you're going to have to have it removed. If Lopez doesn't remove it and some other doctor does, the band will find its way back to Inamed, who would then know if it's theirs or not.

Of course it's all complete speculation but as my husband pointed out, all someone has to do is send one of these things to China or something and someone would come up with a way to make one. They don't look particularly complex.

I apologize if this makes me come across as some sort of conspiracy nut. But everyone kept pointing out the high incidence of erosions and now Lisa's problem...and it just made me wonder what was going on and why this particular doctor was having so much trouble.

hey lisa,

your loss and attitude are phenominal! :banana!!!! you impress the hell out of me!

you have the best attitude about this whole thing to research all your options then make an educated decision.

you'll be in the 230's SOON!!!!!

(((((hugs)))))

michelle

Shoot, today I have a tiny red patch below the incision and just a little itchy as if I'm allergic to the tube. Me and my friends are keeping eagle-eyes on it. If it gets any redder or warm, I have an emergency round of antibiotics at home (thanks, Donali!) I know my own body better than any doctor, and it feels exactly like an allergy. I'm taking two Benedryl tablets right now, and my friend is going to track the time and incision to see if the redness goes away. But why have I gone 6 months with no redness or irritaton? And isn't it strange/odd/coincidental that the wound closed up for 2 days with no leaking, and during that time it got red? As if the liquid needs to come out or the tube gets pissed?

Sonia, none of my posts are meant to scare anyone. I live on this board for answers. These people have saved my life. I'm actually glad to go through all these problems if it means someone else won't have to suffer one day. I don't mind being an experiment! We're all glad you're researching beforehand. It's important to know that there are risks involved. But please know that even after all I've been through, I'd be banded again in a heartbeat.

As far as my problem being unusual, yes, that's true. But even so, you have to add my possible "rejection" into the list of potential problems. Maybe erosion is only 1% nationwide, but if you add up all the infections, slippages, port revisions, rejections, etc., that risk goes up. But lots of stuff can be corrected without removing the band.

I didn't know who Lindsey Lohan was, so I checked her out. That's a total compliment! She's hot! I better post a new pic of me soon, cuz my avatar is that one special pic that is really cute but doesn't look like me. That's why I keep it there!

And NO, I'm not kidding about my port being missing. I need to call Dr. Kuri's office and see if they know what happened to it. Maybe Inamed received it but here's why I say it's lost: Craig Arthur at Inamed needed the serial number, so he called Lopez's office since the serial number should be in my medical file. Inamed was unable to get the information from Lopez (scary, huh?) I didn't chase it any further though. Then when Kuri took out my port, I was under the impression he had to send it to Inamed. But if Kuri sent it to Inamed, then why is Craig Arthur having trouble getting the serial number? Hmmm....

I've heard "rumors" that Mexican doctors use cheaper ports, and that issue was addressed to Inamed just recently. They stand firm by Lopez. As far as I'm aware, I have an Inamed band. Even if China or Japan made a new band, how would one tell the difference between the the fake and the real one?

All valid concerns.

Shelly, I always get so excited when you jump in. Thanks for showing up!

Hmmmm....ShrinkingViolet brings up some very interesting speculations. Sure would answer a few questions!

I wonder what the J & J band is made of...

One more thought. Open wounds aren't as unusual as we think. Remember, any surgery can result in a problematic wound. Patients can have the same open wound for years (which is why we have a new local "open wound" center.) And they're not all related to implants. In addition, the body can reject any kind of implant, not just the band. Women reject breast implants, and anyone can reject surgically implanted foreign objects. I know a woman that had surgical pins implanted in her ankle after a fracture, and she rejected the pins. My friend had a breast reduction and had open wounds for months. So maybe I'm not too unusual.

You are very unusual.......but that is why we all love you soooo much!!! Lisa, with all sincerity I hope that this eventually comes to an end for you. This has taken sooo much of your time from you. I am glad that somehow Lopez got off his lazy *ss and is going to help you. I hope that there is no erosion or anything else that keeps you from keeping your band. I don't know what I would do if they had to take mine. I truly wish you all the luck in the world!!!

Hurry and get better soon--there is still much joy ahead of you!!!

You are in my thoughts!!!!!