Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!! need a little help!

Guest polohmcc

Guest polohmcc

Hi! I am a new member here, and I am scheduled for surgery in feb. I was hoping to get some day to day kind of info. I hear a lot about diets and fills, I would like to know more about the minor stuff. what do you regret about the surgery if anything? even minor things. I just want to make sure I know the Bad as well as the good. I am fully ready to commit to the new lifestyle, and I understand the risks I am taking, but I really haven't gotten much info on daily anooyances, if there are any.

Thank you so much for any info!

Hillary

Hi Hilary,

I trying to think of the little insignificant things that bother me. The only two little things are the fact that I burp a lot and my throat makes a lot of noise when I eat too fast or swallow too much air. Now that I am getting closer to goal, I do feel like I am dieting more to get to goal . The first 100 pounds were relatively easy for me and now I have to work a little harder. Other than this, It has been a great journey. Yes, its work, but the rewards definitely outweigh the annoyances. Good luck and feel confident that you are making a good decision.

Babs in TX

334/189/170

6/23/03

Hi Hillary,

I literally can't think of any "little" things that have bothered me. When I try to think of the negatives of having had this surgery, there was and is only one thing. For me, the fact that I have permanently lost the ability to eat without restraint--a ginormous bowl of Pasta, for example, or gorging at a free buffet--is the absolutely ONLY negative thing. And whether it is negative or not is clearly a matter of perspective.

It's the only thing that has ever felt negative, but it's during those moments that I realize this is exactly why I had to relinquish control over my portion decisions. I had no ability to manage them myself. It's a hard thing to accept, but one that I absolutely had to in order to save my life.

I agree Alex! I miss not having the availablitity to EAT during times of stress, or having emotional problems etc., thats about the only time I got aggravated with my band. Because those are the times I really want to EAT - eat EVERYTHING in sight! So, basically the band has helped me think of other things to do instead of using food for comfort. Which is a good thing, but it took me a while to realize this.

Another thing that may be negative for the newly banded person is = Restriction! It took me a while to figure out that my level of restriction was different day by day. Some days I can eat like my "pre-banded" days. Thats a little discouraging because the dietition told me that after surgery I would only be allowed to eat 1/2 cup of food at a time. Boy, what a shock when I sat and ate an entire order of nachoes at Chilie's restaurant about 2 months after I was banded. But, 3 days later my morning shake would gurgle going down because I had so much restriction.

What Im trying to say is that learning your own level of restriction - and WHEN it comes and goes MAY be the only negative thing. When we are very stressed, during our monthy cycles, in the mornings... these are the most commen times when I notice MY restriction stronger, and others have said the same.

Good luck!

I really agree with what everyone else has said. Check out the "burping and farting thread." To expand upon what Paula said, I would just add that the band is a complicated thing to figure out, especially in the beginning. There are a lot of new sensations that you have to learn to decode. There are also particular foods that I miss - especially bread. And I agree with Babs that the first 50% of my excess weight came off effortlessly, but now I am having to be more careful about my diet.

Remember, too, that you asked to hear the bad, so we are telling you the bad. Stack it all up against the promise of better health, more energy, improved appearance, longer life, and improved mental health and the "bad" is almost insignificant. All of those things are a very prominent part of my day to day life.

Nancy

Hi Hillary -- There's an older thread here somewhere called something like "How many would do it over again?" I think Jack started it. Lots of bandsters weigh in (no pun intended, honest) with their feelings and opinions.

I second what everyone else has said. Yes, there's some pain right after the surgery, but it doesn't last long. I got my band about three months ago, and I feel better than I have in years.

No matter what little bumps in the road I have had and there has NOT been any really other then my esophagitis, I would do this over in a heartbeat! Everything in life has the bad and the good! Who is doing your surgery?

I'm glad I took time to read a few more posts before getting ready for my big day tomorrow. By this time tomorrow night I'll be in bandland. Thanks for all the positive thoughts.

Guest polohmcc

Thank You so much for all of your responses!! This has really been helpful. Latley I have been getting bogged down in the what-ifs. I think seeing how positive everyone feels is really helpful.

You guys are awesome!!!

Hillary

Guest polohmcc

One more thing, I saw that someone

asked who was doing my surgery, I live in denver Co. and my surgeon is Dr. Bell. If anyone is in colorado and looking, I REALLY like him, his staff is amazing!

Hillary