Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate shopping...wait, what?

I know, cute clothes, off the rack sizes but oh my goodness what do I choose?

We have had guidelines for food, exercise and everything health related but I need some fashion guidance.

I haven't been able to wear this size since I was in High School and things sure have changed in the last 20+ years. I go to the stores and aimlessly walk around lost.

Ugh, I thought this would be the fun part.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I used to shop online almost everyday because i knew my size and I had places I knew what size I wore there.

Now shopping takes hours because I have to try ever single thing on, every single time I go shopping. Even if I haven't lost weight, that doesn't mean I haven't lost inches. *sigh*

Also I am not navigating a lot of new stores and new sections and it is just a journey of its own.

There's a book which addresses, among other things, the question of discovering or defining one's tastes/identify after surgery. I've written a bit more about it in response to others' posts. I also wrote a review on the first edition at Amazon a few years back. As I recall, I was most struck by the material on finding one's identity in regard to your topic. Here's a link from the author's website to the new edition.

http://www.drtaniekabala.com/book

Just think though....when you know exactly what you like, you spend SO much money. Think of all the money you're saving right now while your figuring it all out!

Just think though....when you know exactly what you like, you spend SO much money. Think of all the money you're saving right now while your figuring it all out!

Very true. I mostly stay in sweats and tees but today we had a party to go to and I wanted something that fit.

I felt overwhelmed. I may have to grab some friends to help.

There's a book which addresses, among other things, the question of discovering or defining one's tastes/identify after surgery. I've written a bit more about it in response to others' posts. I also wrote a review on the first edition at Amazon a few years back. As I recall, I was most struck by the material on finding one's identity in regard to your topic. Here's a link from the author's website to the new edition.

http://www.drtaniekabala.com/book

That link is not working, can you give us the title of the book or the author?

@@gina171, sorry about that. This link indicates "ebook," but is good for the paperback as well.

(Edited: Another link that won't work

Title: "The Weight Loss Surgery Coping Companion:

A Practical Guide to Coping with Post-Surgery Emotions"

Author: Tanie Miller Kabala, Ph.D.)

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Surgery-Coping-Companion-ebook

I have the revised and the original editions, but haven't taken time to compare them. If it means anything, this is the review of the original edition that I wrote in Amazon: "With so much written about weight-loss surgery itself, it's good to have Dr. Kabala's book as a guide through the emotional aspects of weight loss. It addresses clearly the familiar doubts, fears and obstacles. There is space for responses to the written exercises, but it would be smart to write everything in a separate journal. A journal becomes the record of our evolving emotional (and physical) landscapes and our growth through the weight loss journey. The most eye-opening chapter for me is "How to Cope with Identity Confusion." Dr. Kabala was wise to include clothing choices, as clothing is a big part of how we express our personalities. The large questions that arise with significant weight loss -- Who am I? What do I like? What do I want? How will I express myself in ways that feel comfortable? -- are given clarity and a format for finding answers. Because the book is about dealing with the common roadblocks, people who are considering surgery can benefit from it, too. I think the same holds for people who are losing weight without surgery."

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

CATO store, I just Love it! Women's clothes at affordable prices. One side is Women's 1x and up, other side is XL and down. Modest yet style! Co-ordinated together outfits on display so you can mix and match. I go there and always fall in Love with something. I'm not plugging the store for any other reason than the fact it works for all sizes. And I feel excited when I leave.

FYI: 5 years ago I lost 65 lbs and did it drastically in 3.5 months without surgery. I went through an emotional roller coaster ride. #1 I didn't recognize my self in the reflection. I found myself crying in the dressing room because of the fact I was so disconnected from that person.

#2. Before surgery I gained it ail back and some due to thyroid disease called Graves brought on by diet and genes. Had thyroid removed. Not able to get the weight off on my own.

#3. Surgery now and am down enough to go shopping and fit into cute clothes. Except now I am able to come to terms with this immediate issue. Because now I realized since the things that matter to me.

Asking myself this question: " Do I like how I look, and am I proud of what My image in the mirror says about me?" Only you can answer that!

I completely understand. I used to be able to order clothes online, and they arrives at my doorstep. Now, I have to try everything on, usually, I go back to get 2 sizes smaller, as I can not mentally adjust to my goal soze, which I attained. Then, once I find something that fits, agonize over whether I should buy it, as it may not fit next month. The price we pay to be healthy and at goal weight. Maybe I will adjust someday, but the downside is far outweighed by my benefits.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I know, cute clothes, off the rack sizes but oh my goodness what do I choose?

We have had guidelines for food, exercise and everything health related but I need some fashion guidance.

I haven't been able to wear this size since I was in High School and things sure have changed in the last 20+ years. I go to the stores and aimlessly walk around lost.

Ugh, I thought this would be the fun part.

I love the brand INC by Macys, and look forward to wearing their regular misses sizes: http://www1.macys.com/shop/womens-clothing/inc-international-concepts-womens-apparel?id=3481

In store and online they consistently have sales, and the pieces are good quality and last. Pieces mix and match well, and they are classy but comfortable designs. The pants often have the nice tummy tightener waist, (which I know I will appreciate with loose skin around my abdomen as I lose more)

Since my weight loss I am excited to go into "normal" shops and I feel the begining of another addiction....... Shopping!!! But there are times when I wonder what my style is????? Never the less, I sometimes just go into stores to try on the clothes to see how my shape is changing ..... I've also noticed I have now moved from my traditional anything in black to more vibrant colours. Loving my band

The better department stores have personal shoppers: bergdorfs, neimans, nordstroms, saks etc. and they also do alterations in house.

Sail away. I also adore inc clothes. Macy's carries them here and I find I like their sizing and cut.

They cost a bit but I usually have a Macy's coupon or promotion so it takes some of the sting out of shopping there. I find that brands quality is very good .

I am so with you!!! I am currently on a shopping trip and don't even want to shop. I don't know where to go, what style to buy, and don't feel good spending money on things that I hope won't ft soon anyway.

I'm down 90 pounds with about another 100ish to go so I need new clothing but also still have a ton to lose.

I actually hate shopping now. And I sued to love it.