Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting for anesthesia!

Sitting here in pre op - waiting for anesthesia. Everyone has been great so far. I'm not as nervous yet as I expected.

Hugs & prayers for all of us getting our sleeves today!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm jealous! I'm having my sleeve done in 3 weeks! I don't think I'll be as calm. Keep it up

Feel good & good luck!

@@chicken Lady, @@yleitner and whomever else comes along,

I believe it is unusual to be nervous on the day of surgery. There's no time for nervousness when you're kept busy in the prep area with people fussing over and around you and strings of others coming and going with their clipboards and seemingly endless questions. You'll find that you're so diligent and compliant with the "Turn this ways" and "Bend that ways," not to mention taking care to answer the questions accurately as though you're being graded. We become good girls and boys. All in all, not a bad thing, which does not mean you should forgo asking your questions.

@@Chicken Lady, you may even be in recovery as I type this. You'll be great. Same for the rest of you.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Hi!

Surgery went well. Spent Wednesday (27) to Friday (29) in the hospital- my IV blew so my nausea & pain were hard to control that Thursday so I spent the extra night there. Was sent home on liquids & purée as tolerated.

I'm doing well. No pain or complaints. I lost 13# the first week, but nothing the 2nd week. Just hanging in there and learning to feed my body.

I see my surgeon & nut on Thursday for my 2 week check up.

Thank for checking up on me!

So Happy to hear your doing well! I'm doing the sleeve next tuesday! and I'm a bit nervous about the pain. how is the pain right after surgery?

When I woke up in recovery, it was a little uncomfortable from the gas, but not too bad. I had a Dilaudid pain pump and every time I hit the button I would fall asleep for 15 minutes. Then wake up remember I was supposed to hit the button, Hit the button and fall back asleep for 15 minutes. It was my first experience with anesthesia and I was pretty sleepy more than anything else. I got up to my room in the early evening so they just encouraged me to rest and sleep it off. The next day I was much more awake, it hurt a little bit when I would swallow things too fast. Even now if I swallow too fast or gulp air it is painful behind my sternum until the air bubble comes up. I'm just learning to not swallow air or swallow too fast.

I did not have any drains or catheter. I was thankful for that. Although they did to keep scanning my bladder in the recovery room to make sure it wasn't too full. When I finally got up to my room I did ask if I could go to the bathroom so they would not give me a catheter. Looking back now, it was kind of funny because I was still so sleepy from the pain meds and anesthesia that I willingly sat on a bedside commode and kept falling asleep sitting up. I'd wake up and remember oh yeah, I'm here to P and start to doze off again. Fortunately I've worked in the medical field for a long time so I wasn't embarrassed- just determined to not get a catheter!

Edited by Chicken Lady

My hospital is a center of excellence, and they recently started a new protocol. They have you drink apple juice about 2 1/2 hours before surgery. Supposedly it helps you have a better recovery after surgery. I didn't get the info in time so missed drinking my apple juice. I don't know if it would have changed how recovery went. Other than the gas pains and being groggy, I feel like it was really OK.

thank you for sharing your experience, it makes me feel less nervous.

Edited by yleitner

I'm sure you will be fine- after all the only thing you have to do is show up & have a good nap. The surgeon has to do the hard part!

Hey, how are you doing? My surgery is tomorrow 9am! Not sure if I should be nervous or excited.

Doing great. Every day gets easier. And I'm down about 21# since surgery (5weeks tomorrow) I still struggle with my new tastebuds. Didn't expect my taste to change so much.

How are you doing?? Did your surgery date change? I thought you were supposed to be a few weeks ago?

Don't be nervous. Be excited! Your new life starts tomorrow!!