Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you still identify as a wls patient?

Good topic..

No, I don't identify as a WLS patient. (I don't forget about 270+ pounds though)!!

I am conscious of Protein first. I don't drink my calories. I don't drink while I eat, so I suppose I do eat like a patient, but it seems that is kind of " normal" eating.

I've lived in the same town so long that I see my friends and acquaintances

Fairly often and there is nothing "new" about my size 9 1/2 years out.

I still know and fear fatness lurks somewhere though.... And I am determined to keep it at bay. I keep my band under inflated to baby it along. I do NOT want to change anything at this point.

I'll be asking you guys first if I have to revisit surgery.

• Like 2

Yes. But it is a great excuse to not eat so much when I go out.

• Like 2

At 2.5 years post-op, I'm less focused on the surgery part but still as focused on the food choices and exercise.

It is an intriguing question. A few years after the massive weight loss, when the steady flow of comments and questions has diminished, the surgery part of this process fades away.

I worry about losing my edge in staying on top of following the rules as time passes. I want to remain aware of all that I've been through as a WLS patient to help keep me on track.

Note to self: you will always be a WLS patient.

what he said.

• Like 2

Yes, I do, two years out I' m still dealing with my weight and weight loss issues. I still measure and weigh my food. I also weigh myself daily. In doing so I have kept 100 pounds off for the last year. As part of my weight loss I will see a nurse and nutritionist yearly for the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

• Like 3

No I do not. I no longer weigh myself, count calories, or see a "nutritionist". I no longer equate my worth with my weight or consider weight gain a health risk. I decided life is too short to stay on a diet and they never worked well for me anyway.

I've embraced mindful eating, food allowance, body positivity, and focus on spreading this message of body love out to others. I stay active and enjoy fitness but I do not care to eat by any other persons rules but my own. My weight is secondary to my overall happiness. Being fat isn't a crime and there was nothing wrong with me to begin with other than poor self care and a lack of self love.

As for my weight, I'm not sure what it is but my size hasn't changed in over a year now.

• Like 2

I'll be three years out in July and I still think of myself as a weight loss surgery patient. I probably always will. I count calories still and weight myself daily as well as take all the necessary supplements. The excitement is long gone however,so now it's just a routine.

• Like 3

I’ll be 9 years this year and just finally realized that I don’t consider myself a WLS patient. I eat like a normal person. I live like a normal person. I’m only reminded when I see my annual labs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think of myself as obese anymore.... just a tiny fluffy. I do shop religiously... work out 2x. Hard per week. Cook home 90% try to drink all my Water. Good gig for 11 years, yet fat head entered an her I am with 15 extra unwelcome lbs. oh well
Nothing in life is perfect

• Like 2

A little bit of what each person has said for me - I have not seen my surgical team into and a half years I don’t identify as a patient - I am a person who needs to be aware of what I consume and how much energy I am spending - I was overweight for half my life yeah it’s a thing I imagine and always Wellby - it impacts how I approach food exercise and health. Like each of you I am so much more than my weight - I am an instructor, a author, a therapist, daughter, a mother a wife and with regular frequency I am even a lover. There is a great Ted talk called the danger of a solo story. We are all here because of WLS but we are complex vibrant persons Who have fought and fought hard to live life fully

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stella S said:

have fought and fought hard to live life fully

@jenn1 @Stella S @Julie norton @CowgirlJaneand yours truly @proudgrammy

look at us, a bevy of beauties reminiscing from where we came

it's amazing how far each and everyone of us have come

julie and her successful lapband take the blue ribbon at 11 years PO:rolleyes:

here come jane & kathy - neck in neck at 6 years

look at Stella run after 3 years

jen coming up the rear approaching 2 years- getting an honorable mention

look at all us go!!! we're aces!! all of us crossing the finish line

wait, wait - there is more to follow - MAINTENANCE here we are!

we all look as good as we feel, health and happiness are all they are

cracked up to be. NOT all problems are fixed with weight loss/GOAL - but

it sure helps facing life with "less" of us!!

kathy

ps any other VETS that see this, please hop aboard!:rolleyes:

I will identify myself and tell my story if I feel it may be of service to someone else. I have been in circles where the topic comes up. As I am sure many of use has experienced, there is a lot of misinformation out there. I am more than happy to straighten them out! HA!

But also when I am around someone who I know is struggling with their weight, I may casually mention something like, "Oh, I started [fill in the blank] ever since I had WLS", and I leave it right there. If they want to inquire about it more, I am happy to share my experience, but otherwise, I drop it as I know for myself, I would have been pissed if someone told me I needed WLS.

Now, on a personal basis, yes, I still identify myself as being a WLS patient. It is hard not to when I am at a wedding reception buffet. There are 10 great things that I would love to sample, but I know I have limited real estate in there. It's like, "Oh, man, that thai meatball was incredible ... I'd love to have just one more", but I know I can't if I also want to sample other things. I don't regret having WLS, but it is hard not to ignore the reality. I'm glad I have the sleeve as if I didn't, I would be eating large quantities of everything. WLS helps me be mindful and I don't want to forget that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PdxMan said:

WLS helps me be mindful and I don't want to forget that.

Aint it the truth!!:)

nice to see you, it's been awhile

@PdxMan be well - continued health, happiness and success!!

Today, tomorrow, and always, i will consider myself a happy sleeved

grammy!

Kathy

I think the answer to this will be "sometimes". after a few years with a lap band things were comfortable and i didn't much think about it. When things started going bad, i was reminded of it every meal every day.

I imagine with bypass, things will settle into normal routine and i will think less and less about it.

During the losing phase, and even the early maintenance months it is a constant preoccupation with the scale and your body. For me, anyway, it consumed a lot of time. Daily board visits, chats with other bariatric patients, daily weighing. As time goes on, daily weighing becomes weekly, which becomes whenever I remember to or am curious to see. Board visits have already dropped from daily to weekly and sometimes monthly as other things occupy my mental headspace.

I tend to spend more time on Facebook these days so interact quite a bit with others there. but let's face it. 30 posts a day bemoaning a 3rd week stall or complaining about "only" losing 30 lbs in a month becomes exhausting after a while...so i find myself posting less and less, been hanging more in the plastics groups lately but that will wane too...eventually I'm sure I'll be drawn back to the community groups I hung out with pre-op where people occupy themselves complaining about neighborhood dog poop instead of weight loss stalls or post plastics swelling.

This time around though, I doubt I will disconnect completely. I have made bariatric friends I still check in with and will be quick to return for support if I need it.

Yes I do and probably always will. At 4 years out I still say "i'm a bariatric patient".

Sadly, I had some regain and had to fight my way back from that and have 7 lbs to go. HOWEVER, when I saw my surgeon last fall we talked about the fact that I still have very persistent GERD, and take a PPI twice a day. I've maxed out doses on 2 of them in the past.

As a FNP I'm very familiar with the risks of long term PPIs, so I'm STILL probably facing a revision. I see the surgeon again late July so I'm hopeful that maybe things will turn around before then...

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• istytehcrawk

When I got dressed this morning, I realized I was wrong about the size of the jeans I got at Walmart the other day. They're not 26/28s; they're 24/26s! Which is even better, but also ridiculous because a pair of size 26 pants from the same brand were too small. The jeans have stretch, though, and the pants did not.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • karen_marie

As of last Friday, I dropped back into Onderland!!! Can't believe it! Last time my weight started with a one was at least 10-15yrs ago. Pic from this Saturday with my hubby and his mom at our house warming party. Other pic is me at my heaviest last summer. The transformation blows me away! As a reward for hitting this big milestone, I'll be signing up for a horseback trail ride - the first one I've been able to do in over a decade due to weight restrictions. I'm sooo excited!! I'm also training for my first half marathon - ran my first 10k on Sunday  It's incredible what I'm able to do now, and everyday I'm thankful for this amazing tool that is helping me realize some big dreams.

· 0 replies
    • Newme17

So, getting finances in order, I managed to sell my 2016 Toyota Avalon. It was a beautiful car, of which surprisingly, I’m doing fine without and I actually don’t miss it; and also of which resulted in having a one-vehicle household, which resulted in me HAVING to walk 2.2 miles everyday 5x a week to get my daughter to school. I’m actually quite glad, I’m feeling better/stronger again, and I dropped almost $20,000 of debt. WIN-WIN! 
      · 5 replies
      1. Sleeve1stFitNext

Awesome sauce!!!

2. FluffyChix

Yay!!! That's incredible on so many levels! Yay you! (You wouldn't have been able to do it if you didn't have the surgery and re-birth!"

Maybe you should look at practicing your nutrition stuff from home?

3. Creekimp13

Car debt is the bane of my existence. Wont do it. And I love Toyota...I drive (and LOVE) my 2015 Camry...so I know how hard that was. Absolutely awesome you're getting the walking in, instead. Love that so much! Also teaches good habits to the kiddo....which is brilliant.

Speaking of kiddo and cars..I've spent the last three months combing the web for a used car for my daughter. She has a summer job lined up here and needs a car to get to various labs and sample sites....and I won't let her go into more debt. (she has minimal student loans and will graduate next year with her microbiology degree)

I found her a 2008 Malibu from Tennessee, clean inside and out...with just barely 100K on it...and I'm feeling incredibly accomplished. $3000, we paid cash :) CarFax is clean, mechanic said it was in great shape and she should get a few years out of it yet. Very common car with cheap parts if repairs are needed in the future. Previous owner did a valve job and replaced timing chain, and all maintenance was done at dealership. Brand new tires and brakes.

It's parked in our driveway as we speak. Runs and sounds like brand new.

I can't wait to see her face:)

4. Mattymatt

Well that's awesome! Keep up the good, positive work. :-)

5. Newme17

Lol. Cute...I like that “awesome sauce!” @Sleeve1stFitNext!

@FluffyChix there’s so much that I probably wouldn’t have done if I didn’t have this surgery! I’m still so glad I did too. I seem to work better when being “forced” in to situations. Lol

@Creekimp13, we’re Toyota lovers here. A former Avalon, and two former Tundras...currently on our third Tundra...and have always had a car payment! Ugh! We’re doing this Dave Ramsey program that’s making a lot of sense to us and so there went the Avalon. Also in the process of maybe getting a cash car...speaking of which, you were hugely blessed for what you found! Wow! That’s the kind of deal I want. I told the hubby not to buy one yet though, I’m enjoying the walks and the time with my kids walking. Definitely good habits being taught. 😊

@Mattymatt thanks hon! Its hard to be in the dumps when there’s a win on both sides! Yay!!!

• allwet

so a newborn giraffe:  no wonder i am tired today
      Looking forward to complete Oxford English Dictionary
      Dam wish i hadn't missed that Gold brick.  Just my luck
      well got to fed the Giraffe. Catch you all later
      · 0 replies
    • istytehcrawk

Tonight's experiment: wonton wrapper lasagna (made with ground turkey and a Greek yogurt cream cheese/mozzarella/cheddar/spices mix instead of ricotta, which I don't like) and tacos (made with taco meat pilfered from my sister's supper). In the oven now!

· 13 replies
      1. istytehcrawk

Realized I never took a pic of the finished product, so here:IMG_4986.thumb.JPG.cb2e5dae24a45ae2e2896c8a38e26669.JPG

2. Orchids&Dragons

Those look scrumptious!

3. istytehcrawk

They are! I would have even liked them before surgery, and my coworker asked for the recipe.

4. Orchids&Dragons

Have you shared the recipe here?

5. istytehcrawk

The recipe I based it on is in the first comment on this thread, though I just used some leftover sauce I had frozen about a month ago and made my own concoction for the cheese layer instead of ricotta. For that, I used half a block of Greek yogurt cream cheese, a third of a cup of shredded mozzarella and a third of a cup of cheddar, plus a heavy dose of garlic powder and some Italian seasonings. That was enough to make 9 cups, in this order: wonton, spoonful of cheese mixture, spoonful of sauce, wonton, spoonful of sauce, sprinkle of mozzarella. Baked them for 13 minutes. Her recipe uses a second layer of the cheese mixture, but mine does not (though if I make them again, I might include it).

6. View All Replies
  • Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs