Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a surgery date for August 15th. I have wanted to have a sleeve done for over a year . I have a BMI of 35 and no real problems except high cholesterol.

I'll be honest , I have stopped researching because the horror stories really stick in my head. I have two friends who have done it and they rave about it and said its the best thing they have ever done. I try to think about those two people.

Anyway, what I am a little confused about is the the post surgery diet( after 6 months) . I keep reading about people gaining weight back. I also keep reading about not eating carbs. I REALLY feel if I could not eat carbs, then j wouldn't be in this position in the first place, right???? In my head I kind of figured once I had the surgery I could eat so little it wouldn't matter what it was. I feel pretty STUPID even typing that, it I did. I mean 3-4 bites of even bad food three times a day wouldn't be enough calories to gain weight would it??

I guess my main point is is that if you really have to Diet a strict diet after this- how do you do it??

I know I am

Rambling. Thanks

For any info you think would help.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had similar concerns when I started researching the surgery. I'm scheduled for August 17, so I can't speak to any of this, but my thread on the subject had some amazing information from people who are longer-term vets of the surgery.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/365646-questionsconcerns-about-the-lifetime-commitment/

Hope this helps!!

Here is the best thing about the sleeve - it takes away your hunger and cravings (for a while at least). I know it is hard to imagine but it is true. You won't want carbs - you won't want food. I had to make myself eat for the longest time. I am now about 18 months out and my cravings have come back some. Nowhere near what they used to be and I also can control myself and I know I can't overeat because it could stretch my stomach back out. I do eat what I want now that I am at 160lbs. That means sometimes I will have one scoop of ice cream or sometimes I might eat one small slice of pizza. The key here is I don't do it all the time and when I do I have very small portions. I also workout a few times a week. I have ate this way for about 6 months now and have successfully kept my weight around 160 give or take a couple pounds.

I had similar concerns as you. I am 100% glad I did this and I feel awesome! I look awesome! I wish I would have done this sooner. If you follow all your doctors guidelines for what to eat at each stage you will do just fine.

Congrats on your surgery date. A new you is right around the corner!!!

@@tenseintexas Because you aren't able to eat much quantity - it's important to eat quality. That's why most plans recommend Protein first. Eventually you'll be able to eat more and you don't want to fall into the same pre-surgery habits. Some foods are considered sliders which means you can eat larger amounts and eat "around" your sleeve. Eating healthy (changing eating habits) is important with any WLS - although you can eventually eat most foods in limited quantities.

It's been more than 3 years since I had WLS. Other than the first couple weeks after surgery, I have eaten anything I wanted, in whatever proportion I can manage to cram down, any time I've wanted to.

I eat bread, rice, any other carbs, Little Debbie cakes, pie, candy bars, fried chicken, and Breakfast sandwiches from Whataburger.

Keep in mind that I cannot eat very much at a time of any of these things. But if I want them I eat them. Occasionally I will gain a pound or 2, or 3, and I'll have to ease off the donut holes until it goes away which usually takes 2 or 3 days.

I am certainly not advocating bad eating habit, I'm just saying I have bad eating habits, I still lost about all the weight I ever wanted to, and I am doing fine. Healthy as a horse and not fat.

Don't spend too much time worrying, It'll all work out in the end.

I have asked several nutritionist why people gain the weight back. The two most frequent answers are around developing a diet full of slider foods- and not exercising. I think- this is not what they said, but my own interpretation- is that people lose weight and don't fully appreciate how many fewer calories they need at the smaller weight. Their metabolism may only support 1200 calories a day but they are eating 1500- and not exercising. The good news is that unless you willfully ignore the gain and actively reject a healthy lifestyle then you probably will not ever hit your high weight again. You just have to monitor and be honest with yourself and your choices. You will do great!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App