Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my surgery date is 7/25/16. I went to my pre op on 7/12/16. I was mentally and financially prepared to start my liquid diet on 7/18/16. While at the appointment I was told that I should have started on 7/11/16 but no one informed me. I tried and was quite successful on Wednesday and Thursday but I didn't do so well Friday, Saturday and today. For some reason everything is tasting super sweet and I do not like things that are very sweet. I am terrified that my liver will be a problem for surgery.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by forever changed

all you can do is go forward. look up some savory options online for your liquid diet, not everything has to be sweet. Let us know how you are doing.

probably just getting junk out of your system then, make sure you're drinking loads of Water. that's the only way I know to cope. and if you slip, avoid the carbs like the plague.

thankfully I didn't have a preop liquid diet. I think it must be the hardest part of the whole process. I did have to be on liquids the day before and almost two weeks afterwards, and it was certainly a challenge.

Are you on Clear Liquids or full liquids? I'm post-op and still on full-liquids. I really wanted savory today. You can do Soups (or broth). I had some Thai Tom Yum Kha Soup broth for my dinner. For Breakfast and lunch I made a concoction of cream of wheat, plain Greek yogurt, and a pinch of dill and seasoned salt. It reminded me of Tzatziki sauce, and hit the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I felt the exact same way during the 2 week pre-op diet. I called my surgeon's office and asked if I could buy the Meal Replacement Soups and then raced over there to pick them up. I was so much happier with the soups. I had the New Direction brand broccoli cheddar and cream of chicken. You may be able to find them online if your surgeon's office doesn't carry them.

Good luck!

Honestly, the liquid diet is agony. There is no way around it. I cheated 3 times, and I will not do it again. And on full meals, not just a little something to tide me over. We are addicts, and our bodies are purging carbs/sugars/caffeine and whatever else is in our diets. Headaches and lethargy seem to be par for the course. The first few days were the worst by far, and I found that after I ate real food I was back at square one. So, if you stick to the diet it will get better.

I am begrudgingly on day 5, one week to go. I do miso broth for lunch, or get bone broths that I season with a little Worcestershire or spicy seasonings, lime, lemon, you name it. Anything to make it more bearable. You can also get unflavored Protein to add to Soups if you prefer. I have no experience with them, but a lot of folks including my surgeon has recommended them. My diet does not include yogurt, cream of wheat, meat, veggies or any food other than Protein shakes and Clear Liquids. Blows. Its suckiness is unavoidable but YOU CAN DO IT. Just power through. Get your warrior swag on and swallow those shakes! If they are truly unbearable talk to your nut. I also use almond extract, cinnamon, and vanilla extract to make them more palletable. I even used pumpkin pie spice in a vanilla shake and it was pretty darn good.

Also Thom Kha and Thom Yum thai Soup broths are indeed mighty tasty - but steer clear of Tom Kha, it is made with coconut milk which is very high in fat/calories.

Edited by annagene12

Honestly, the liquid diet is agony. There is no way around it. I cheated 3 times, and I will not do it again. And on full meals, not just a little something to tide me over. We are addicts, and our bodies are purging carbs/sugars/caffeine and whatever else is in our diets. Headaches and lethargy seem to be par for the course. The first few days were the worst by far, and I found that after I ate real food I was back at square one. So, if you stick to the diet it will get better.

I am begrudgingly on day 5, one week to go. I do miso broth for lunch, or get bone broths that I season with a little Worcestershire or spicy seasonings, lime, lemon, you name it. Anything to make it more bearable. You can also get unflavored Protein to add to Soups if you prefer. I have no experience with them, but a lot of folks including my surgeon has recommended them. My diet does not include yogurt, cream of wheat, meat, veggies or any food other than Protein shakes and Clear Liquids. Blows. Its suckiness is unavoidable but YOU CAN DO IT. Just power through. Get your warrior swag on and swallow those shakes! If they are truly unbearable talk to your nut. I also use almond extract, cinnamon, and vanilla extract to make them more palletable. I even used pumpkin pie spice in a vanilla shake and it was pretty darn good.

Also Thom Kha and Thom Yum thai Soup broths are indeed mighty tasty - but steer clear of Tom Kha, it is made with coconut milk which is very high in fat/calories.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using the BariatricPal App