Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just 5 months out - but so far the only awkwardness is from being with people not in my "inner circle" who are surprised by what I can or can't eat, or the amount. there is a tremendous amount of misinformation out there.

"Awkward" is when I get a stuck episode publicly, and have to excuse myself to vomit or PB when there is no way OUT. Its happened 3x in two years, and each time it's horrible, embarrassing and stressful.

Most awkward for me is the folks who honest to goodness do not recognize. Like really takes them a while or I have to speak before they figure it out. And then they go on and on about how they don't recognize me. Sometimes it is funny but mostly it is uncomfortable.

The most awkward moment for me is also one of the most joyful moments since my WLS.

It was when me sweatpants fell off while catching a 42" Striped Bass from the surf of the Raritan Bay. ;)

I was the only woman surf fishing during the sunrise when I found myself chest high in the salt Water with only my new blues undies on.

As awkward as it was, the men on the beach were wonderful, jovial, retrieved my extra shorts from my car and were willing to take a solemn oath (the cross your heart and hope to die kind) NOT to take any pictures. :)

By the way?

I caught the fish! ;)

Definitely the comments from coworkers. Tomorrow will be exactly 6 months since my surgery and I don't think I've made it through one shift since without someone commenting on my size.

They are all very complimentary and don't realize how many other people are commenting on it (I work in a hospital) but it gets a little old and a little uncomfortable.

I think it's awkward when I tell ppl I'm getting gastric bypass and they say I'm not that big!!! Ummm I can't fit rides IM BIG!! But the awkward person I'd run into after I lose weight would have to be my aunt for sure!!!! I'll see her next spring bc she is not on my good side now

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This happened to me all the time. I guess I never looked my weight or carried it well, but, I could not fit into any ride either. If 130lbs overweight isn't "that big", what is??? LOL!

I hate it when I see someone I haven't seen in a while and they seem to treat me differently than when I was fat. They seem stand-offish, like they think I'm a completely new person and they don't know what to say.

I'm still the same as when I was fat ...just not fat. I cannot figure why a change in appearance causes people to relate differently - or not relate at all.

I also do not like having to hide jiggly skin.

I have a coworker who keeps giving me diet recommendations. I "should be" eating this and I "shouldn't be" eating that. She knows that I have had surgery, and I keep reminding her that I'm on a "special diet" with a reduced stomach, so the "recommended" way of eating (half a plate of veggies and a very small portion of protein) isn't going to work because my focus is Protein first - whether it be via Protein shakes or lean meat (she's also vegetarian). She doesn't agree with Protein Shakes and meat as Protein sources, because she says "I should be getting them naturally via veggies/beans." I am tired of explaining this to her, LOL.

My other pet peeve - my family keeps telling me that I'm getting too small and that I don't need to lose any more weight. Even though I'm tall - I'm still a size 12. Far from skinny IMO.

Edited by lexiemustang

When my stomach decides to gurgle loudly during a team meeting, and won't shut up ......

I think it's awkward when I tell ppl I'm getting gastric bypass and they say I'm not that big!!! Ummm I can't fit rides IM BIG!! But the awkward person I'd run into after I lose weight would have to be my aunt for sure!!!! I'll see her next spring bc she is not on my good side now

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This happened to me all the time. I guess I never looked my weight or carried it well, but, I could not fit into any ride either. If 130lbs overweight isn't "that big", what is??? LOL!

This too! I've had several family members or friends tell me "I didn't think you were big enough to have that surgery...." I was 120lbs over weight, I think people just get used to looking at you a certain way, and since I was fairly active I guess they didn't look at me as obese.

I went to give my father in law some shirts that don't fit me anymore and he said "are you sure you want to give these away? You'll probably just gain the weight back"

This may sound stupid, but I find it hard to go out to a bar (my husband and I don't drink but we play darts a lot) and I just order Water. Sometimes I get a feeling that they think I am just being cheap. So sometimes, if I get a reaction I will just politely let them know that I had surgery on my stomach and Water is all I can have. Plus I always tip for the service, not a percentage of the tab. Seems to work well, but I always dread a new place where they aren't familiar with me.

I'm only 9 weeks post-op and haven't really had any "strange or weird" times since surgery......But pre-op when I was working to qualify for surgery under my insurance. Man that was the strangest feeling! Weight wise I just barely qualified with a BMI just over 40 with no other health issues......So it was important that I not loose any weight during that time. Here I was fatter than I had ever been but I was eating terrible!! I was always a pretty healthy eater. My problem was more portion control.....but during the pre-op phase I was eating things that under normal circumstances I never would have eaten. It was a relief when I was finally approved by my insurance in more ways than just knowing I would be getting the insurance but that I could start eating healthy.....Once I was approved, my surgery was scheduled within 3 weeks but I started my pre-op diet a little early ....I lost 25.6 pounds pre-op!!