Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Food Did (Or Will) You Miss the Most?

The thing I miss the most right now is popcorn. I was a popcorn junky. I always had to have a bag at the movie theater. At home I would keep several varieties to pop myself. When I go into a place and smell that smell I almost want to cry.

Its interesting the foods that everyone can not or will not have.

We aren't restricted like that... the motto is everything in moderation once you get to goal... and adjusting the rest of your meals to balance it all out whilst in the losing phase. (Personally i think this is a healthy way of teaching good eating habits for life)

Sushi is not an issue if you are going to have it once in a while, just don't go having it every week... i am 3 months post op today and i have had a prawn roll... no issues... except that it took me half a day to finish it...2 small bites and i was stuffed.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm already thinking about those things I will miss and how I plan to accept it. I will DEFINITELY miss drinking Water with my meals! I feel this is going to be a HUGE adjustment! I will also miss diet Coke. It's my go to at least once a day. Mexican food and sweets got me to this place, so I KNOW they are red light foods for me and I will have to get better control. I'm an addict with sweets. I perfectly fit into the saying, "One is too much but 100 is not enough". As long as I don't take that first bite, I'll be OK. Back in the days when I went to Weight Watchers, I was told BLTs would get me in trouble. Not bacon, lettuce, Tomato sandwiches, but bites, licks and tastes. This is very true. I will miss my old habits but I'm looking forward to new, healthy ones.

Thomas brand of Maple French Toast Bagels, I really, really loved them! I used to eat them with brown sugar and butter. Sometimes I think maybe I could have a half of one, but I don't dare because it would just make me want one every morning!

Edited by Montana Gal

I was thinking this morning about how my brother came down to visit and decided he loved Kolaches - I've never been a huge fan because of the sausage(back from before I had my gallbladder removed sausage was a huge NO without causing issues)

ANYHOW - I started thinking about how I miss Pittsburgh's version of kolaches and that there was a store downtown that sold pretzel wrapped hotdogs and how the first bite was always super amazing... but even with that first bite to tempt me... I was kinda eh about wanting one...

Cannnn we talk more about sushi??? Getting sleeved 7/22 and definitely did not consider that I couldn't eat sashimi?!? Can someone confirm this?? I don't need a sushi bomb roll, but I LOVE sashimi! :(

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am not aware of any reason you can't eat sashimi (or even sushi) once you are cleared for all foods.

Cannnn we talk more about sushi??? Getting sleeved 7/22 and definitely did not consider that I couldn't eat sashimi?!? Can someone confirm this?? I don't need a sushi bomb roll, but I LOVE sashimi! :(

I am not aware of any reason you can't eat sashimi (or even sushi) once you are cleared for all foods.

I eat Sashimi once or twice every week, without any issues. I used to eat (brown or black rice) sushi rolls but found that I gained a little weight since they are pretty carby when you look at the ingredients and sauces I was throwing into the mix. I still eat them but not as often as I used to.

I had sushi last night for the first time in over a year. It was worth every little bite! So good.

I will say I do miss all the unhealthy foods (I have gotten off track), but I am now a firm believer in "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". Honestly, at this point it's my motivation not to let the bad habits take hold.

Sashimi (just the fish) is good to go. Sushi has the rice.
I'm literally having sushi right now, eating a Protein roll and it has no rice. Just get rolls with no rice and mostly just fish. They have soy wraps and cucumber wraps too. Sushi is good cuz it's all Ala Cart so it's perfect for our small meals

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I eat sushi 3 times a week. Just no rice. Love it

For all the sushi lovers out there:

Sushi refers to the rice. Sushi is vinegared rice with a topping, which may or may not be (raw) fish. In Japan sushi comes with all kinds of toppings and fillings (for makizushi, or sushi rolls) - everything from natto (fermented soy beans), egg, cucumber, corn, hamburger, small wieners (really), etc. Even in Japan, not everyone wants to eat raw fish. But the one constant is rice. No rice, no sushi.

Sashimi is thin slices of raw fish. If you are having sushi without rice, it's sashimi.

I don't mean to be nitpicky, but I really dislike the association that raw fish=sushi. It doesn't. It's a common part of it, but not necessarily.

It's funny, in Japan, the one thing that people love and can't do without is rice. I've seen my students go back for 3 or 4 helpings (at least a cup each time) of it, sometimes eating it with nothing else. Bento boxes are always half filled with rice. Japanese people seem to think Japanese rice is much healthier than any other kind of carb or rice out there, despite the fact that when people want to lose weight, the first thing they'll do is reduce the amount of rice they eat. ;-)

I have to admit that when I have the surgery, it's probably rice that I'll miss the most - in it's various guises of sushi-related products, which I eat daily. I never cook rice at home, but it's so easy to find everywhere. There's one restaurant in particular that has the best rice I've ever had in my life - it's almost like eating butter, it's so soft and flavourful. That may be one of my last suppers before surgery (or more specifically, the pre-op diet). I know that it's possible to eat rice in small amounts post-op, but it seems like a lot of people have problems with carbs like rice, so I'm going to work from that assumption so I'm more prepared for it afterwards.