Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Lapband Removal Dangerous?

had lots of trouble with the band-had it removed 11/27/07 and had rny at the same time...was shocked that bc/bs approved it so quickly--feel soooo much better and cannot believe how much trouble the band really was...and now its like I never had another surgery, I feel GREAT..wishing you the same luck and a happy and healthy new year.....pam

did you have your band removed and the bypass done at the same time? how far were you from your goal weight when you did this. I would like to talk with you. email me roho617, Please:confused::o

had lots of trouble with the band-had it removed 11/27/07 and had rny at the same time...was shocked that bc/bs approved it so quickly--feel soooo much better and cannot believe how much trouble the band really was...and now its like I never had another surgery, I feel GREAT..wishing you the same luck and a happy and healthy new year.....pam

I too am having trouble with the band. liquid backing up and going into my lungs. I have not been to the doctor yet. how far were you from goal weight when you had yours removed? I too have bcbs. Select. my doctor is not on thier list. I would like to know more about your removal/bypass journey.

What were you mentioning about H-pylori. I had it before surgery and they put me on a load of antibiotics. My dr. said you will always test positive for it. It never goes away. My parents both had ulcers. They say it comes from the drinking water...dont know...However, I had the band removed and they did the endoscopy while they were in there...I dont know if they still found it...Wont know till next week. They didnt put me on any antibiotics before my removal....hmm....

Hello,

my name is debbie from virginia. i had my band done in 9/2008 and now am having issues, i am going to a gastro dr. NOT the bariatric dr at this point. i have a upper gi and scope scheduled for next week... i suspect i do have a band slip, but no insurance to cover that procedure, but have medical insurance so if there is a medical reason/complication to remove the band my insurance cover the costs, less deductible etc... I was curious why you decided to have your band removed? if insurance covered your removal and if a general surgeon removed the band or your bariatric surgeon that put the band in removed it?? If its easier to chat, instead of emailing back and forth... feel free to call me on my cell, 804-393-9939 Thanks for reading my email and taking time to share your situation with me. any information is appreciated as i continue to deal with these issues!!

Hi All...

I thought I'd do a short update on my successful band removal yesterday. Everything went well and I was able to come home late in the afternoon. I'm feeling so much better now that the band is gone. Here is something to keep an eye on. The surgeon who removed it found that it had been causing scar tissue to build up on my liver. This would not have been caught had I not made the wise decision to have it removed. Apparently, the band had been rubbing against my liver, thus causing the scar tissue. I have no idea how much damage was done but will certainly be following up on this with my doctor. So...after 1.5 years of PBing and vomiting, I now have liver damage. Boy, I am so glad to be free of this thing. If I could share one bit of advice, it would be to encourage those of you, whether successful or unsuccessful with the band, to please have yourself checked out for possible complications that you may not even be aware of, which could be doing significant physical damage. As in my previous reply, I plan to remain on my organic, whole foods regime, continue to increase my exercise at a reasonable rate, and enjoy the steady weight loss I am experiencing without the nasty side effects of the band. I wish you all health and success. God bless.

My band eroded and was acutally inside my stomach. I had it removed around 6 months ago and have had nothing but problems since. I am still running to doctors to find out what is going on. I have lots of stomach pain and swelling and it even hurts to breathe.

Yes, the two surgeries can be done at the same time. No good reason to have two separate surgeries, right? I'm in the process of doing this exact thing. Met my new surgeon yesterday and he said that he was initially very excited about band technology, but he's found that he's had to remove about 50% of the bands he has put in, which is a failure rate he doesn't like at all. Now he's not such a big fan of banding.

My band has been a complete failure and all I've done is puke for 2 years. I've never been able to graduate past mushies. Band is coming out and I'm going the RNY route. Was thinking the sleeve, but the surgeon recommends RNY for my particular case. I lost a grand total of three pounds with the band.

did you have your band removed and the bypass done at the same time? how far were you from your goal weight when you did this. I would like to talk with you. email me roho617, Please:confused::o

I am so sorry to hear everything you have gone through with the band. I had my put in 8 years ago and recently my doctor discovered it had slipped. I was so upset. I had lost 90 lbs over the years with it and managed to keep it off. Five days ago he removed it and replaced it with a new one. So far so good! I pray that it will continue to work. Crazy journey for us all. Good luck in whatever procedure you decide to have done.

Best Wishes,

Ayme

Yes, the two surgeries can be done at the same time. No good reason to have two separate surgeries, right? I'm in the process of doing this exact thing. Met my new surgeon yesterday and he said that he was initially very excited about band technology, but he's found that he's had to remove about 50% of the bands he has put in, which is a failure rate he doesn't like at all. Now he's not such a big fan of banding.

My band has been a complete failure and all I've done is puke for 2 years. I've never been able to graduate past mushies. Band is coming out and I'm going the RNY route. Was thinking the sleeve, but the surgeon recommends RNY for my particular case. I lost a grand total of three pounds with the band.

I sure wished I had read all of these posting before I got my lap band. I have had mine for 11 months now and I haven't lost any weight. Back in Aug. I got my fill in the hospital so the Dr. could watch everything go down and said everything was fine and in place. Today of all things, to get stuck was grits. I am still too afraid to even drink a swallow of Water. My stomach burns.... I'm scared.... Wished I had never had the lap band, and now scared to go have it remove and have another procedure. Enought about me... How's your RNY and would you recommend it.

Hello :rolleyes:

I do not understand why someone would tell you the lapband can not be removed??? My band was put in 8 years ago and lost over ninety pounds and maintained the weight off. Last December I was experiencing a lot of heartburn and very little was going down. It turns out my band had slipped. My doctor informed me the band had to be removed. My band was removed in April and a new one was put in. The band is working once again and doing well with my new band. My surgery lasted 3 hours due to so much scar tissue. I would get another opinion.

Good luck :rolleyes:

Ayme

Hi,

I need advice. I was banded 18 months ago and everything was terrific. Went a little to restricted too fast after 6 months and had a slight defill (back to 1cc in a 10cc band) Everything returned to normal. No pain, 'normal' hunger signals. Great.

About 8 weeks ago I went for slight refill (.5cc increase). A week after gorged myself on sweets and alcohol (emotional eater). Severe wind and pain just below chestbone for 3 days - was told to drink peppermint tea and put on antibiotics. Pain went away after 24hrs. Began to get scared mentally. Last two weeks have been aware of mild indigestion at night and a lot of burping. Getting really scared. Although probably minor in the grand scheme of things, this is not something I want to deal with.

My consultant said that band removal was not possible. Clearly this is nonsense. I'm aware that I'm probably over-reacting but what's the dangers of having the band removed? My band is stiched in place - is this going to be a problem? Basically I'm terrified and feel in a catch-22: don't want the band in because of all the negatives but taking the band out seems really dangerous too.

Any help much appreciated.

Hello :rolleyes:

I do not understand why someone would tell you the lapband can not be removed??? My band was put in 8 years ago and lost over ninety pounds and maintained the weight off. Last December I was experiencing a lot of heartburn and very little was going down. It turns out my band had slipped. My doctor informed me the band had to be removed. My band was removed in April and a new one was put in. The band is working once again and doing well with my new band. My surgery lasted 3 hours due to so much scar tissue. I would get another opinion.

Good luck :rolleyes:

Ayme

Hi,

I need advice. I was banded 18 months ago and everything was terrific. Went a little to restricted too fast after 6 months and had a slight defill (back to 1cc in a 10cc band) Everything returned to normal. No pain, 'normal' hunger signals. Great.

About 8 weeks ago I went for slight refill (.5cc increase). A week after gorged myself on sweets and alcohol (emotional eater). Severe wind and pain just below chestbone for 3 days - was told to drink peppermint tea and put on antibiotics. Pain went away after 24hrs. Began to get scared mentally. Last two weeks have been aware of mild indigestion at night and a lot of burping. Getting really scared. Although probably minor in the grand scheme of things, this is not something I want to deal with.

My consultant said that band removal was not possible. Clearly this is nonsense. I'm aware that I'm probably over-reacting but what's the dangers of having the band removed? My band is stiched in place - is this going to be a problem? Basically I'm terrified and feel in a catch-22: don't want the band in because of all the negatives but taking the band out seems really dangerous too.

Any help much appreciated.