Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for help with my worries….

@@TracyBar Are there any support groups in your area? I think it would be good to hear from others that have been through it. I would speak to someone more objective than the facilitator or her family. Complications are not common but they can happen. If you are fairly healthy to start - and follow your surgeon's guidelines - I wouldn't be overly concerned about complications. This decision of having WLS is so important and you need to be 100% sure (and not only doing this to look better). Good luck on your decision.

Hi KristenLe - have you had the surgery yet? I would love to find a group in my area. Great suggestion! I'll see if I can search one up!

No, I am not allowed anything but liquids due to my ill health. I have to re hydrate myself, my bariatric team just seem out of their depth. Out of my seminar group in the NHS bariatric stream, three of us have had serious complications. All of us have had lengthy hospital stays, several re admissions and one of my friends is there now with an abscess on her spleen and Fluid on her lungs that they cannot seem to fix. I cannot tolerate anything but clear fluids and it is hard to push the calories in that way. I have to drink at least 150 ml every hour for 15 hours to battle the dehydration. That leaves little room for food calories. I am too ill to cook broth and I do try canned Soup but can only tolerate a couple of ounces. I am nauseous all the time. I am disabled and don't work. If you are working, keep in mind, if you have to have post op treatment (I was in hospital half of May, all of June and having outpatient treatment throughout July), will your work be okay with it? I can't drive my car yet, from May to July. The battery died in the car and I had to buy a new one so do get someone to drive your car a bit while you are unable to drive. My neighbour couldn't drive for three months after her bypass. No one talks about these things but they can be important.

Maybe complications are rare elsewhere but they are not rare in the NHS bariatric stream.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think that's unfair Gina about the NHS. It's a very small percentage that have complications. And you're warned about them preop before you consent for surgery. I know many people who have had WLS on the NHS without complications. I think many of your problems come from your existing medical problems. Look at what you're consuming. Change what you're drinking to high calorie drinks such as complan, try making smoothies with Protein powder/ spinach/ coconut milk/ yoghurt to increase your Protein intake. I know own you've had a rough time but we have to keep in mind that these complications are rare.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

dang, sorry you are having so much trouble. I will pray for you

@@TracyBar Are there any support groups in your area? I think it would be good to hear from others that have been through it. I would speak to someone more objective than the facilitator or her family. Complications are not common but they can happen. If you are fairly healthy to start - and follow your surgeon's guidelines - I wouldn't be overly concerned about complications. This decision of having WLS is so important and you need to be 100% sure (and not only doing this to look better). Good luck on your decision.

Hi KristenLe - have you had the surgery yet? I would love to find a group in my area. Great suggestion! I'll see if I can search one up!
Not yet - waiting for pre-op testing (cleared by Psych and nutrition). I'm hoping for a Sept date. I hope you find a support group - I can't imagine doing this all without help.

No, I am not being unfair about my particular area's complication record. Out of ten of my NHS bariatric seminar class, all but two of us have had complications in some form or another. Three of us developed abdominal abscesses. One of us was in HDU for weeks, another is currently on her fifth course of antibiotics, on morphine with Fluid on her lungs and seriously ill on the ward. She had no prior health issues. That statistic means it is not rare! I did not have any of these problems before surgery. Fibromyalgia does cause immunity issues but the bariatric team said "Don't worry about it" prior to surgery.

And no, I was not warned about food revulsion, gallbladder removal, malnutrition or abdominal abscesses. I was not warned about food, Protein or lactose intolerances. I cannot tolerate any of the items you mentioned. I know exactly what I am consuming. I have to drink 150 ml of Fluid every hour for 15 hours a day (instructed by my bariatric dietician) for dehydration. I am only allowed free fluids until the gallbladder care plan is established (instructed by my bariatric dietician). I can only tolerate clear Soup, diluted fruit juice and Water at present. I am six weeks out of surgery now.

I discovered that my CRP was 100 (5 is normal) on the day of surgery, my platelets were 600,000 (upper limit is 450,000).

My GP mentioned to a haematologist that my platelets were high but the bariatric team said a referral to haematology was "appropriate".

The pre op assessment nurse halted the surgery due to the platelet issue but the anaesthesiologist overruled that decision.

I couldn't give informed consent because I wasn't correctly informed.

The NHS booklet I was given on discharge has information in it that we were never told in the two years I attended prior to surgery.

I never would have done it had this booklet been available to me beforehand.

On the ward, there was no provision for bariatric patients on clear fluid so I had to find whatever I could on the normal menu that might work. But there was nothing at all for Breakfast. I was readmitted so quickly post op that I left my blue asthma inhaler behind. No one in the whole hospital could provide one so on the third day I had an asthma attack, then on the fifth day I had an asthma attack.

I was given Cyclizine straight into my vein which caused a severe reaction which nearly caused a stroke. I lost my eyesight, speech and could not read or write for two days. The nurse was heard saying "I pray everytime I administer that to someone".

No one emptied nor monitored my drain fluid. Which is why I think the abscess occurred, the drain was taken out too early.

They were eager to discharge me as a geriatric patient in my bay had decided that I was a teenage girl who had burgled her house and everytime she got a chance, she would get out of bed to try and assault me, often falling in the process.

None of my liquid medications were available through my GP, nor were they ordered on the ward for days. I brought some crushables with me but the ward did not have a crusher, I had to bring my own the second admission.

Finally, the pharmacy just wouldn't supply one medication as they said it wasn't available so I had a severe gout attack.

After the cyclizine debacle, no one thought to remove the cannula so I developed severed phlebitis. I then developed phlebitis at all five cannula sights. They haven't healed yet.

When my surgeon asked the nurses to look after the phlebitis, they told him they would. Did they ever even look? Oh no.

I had to change my own open drain wound on the ward, begging for dressings like a lost puppy.

Alot of these things happened to my three friends too.

So not rare.

My hospital had just announced some pay and conditions change. The whole hospital was in an uproar. From the porters to the health care assistants etc, there was drama and serious neglect to patient care on the wards.

It was shocking and upsetting.

So no, I was never warned about any of this prior to surgery.

And after spending from 31st May to the present, in and out of this hospital, I can tell you, it's not rare!

I think this bariatric program should pause until proper care on the ward is organised and until the source of all of these life threatening infections and abscesses are sorted out.

I am now facing gallbladder surgery in this hospital by the same surgeons. I am petrified.

I am going up there tonight from 6:30 to who knows when for a repeat CT scan which means another cannula being inserted and two days trying to flush the contrast dye from my system. This is my third CT scan.

No one warned me that I might lose six months of my life.

And as I am losing 10lbs a week at present, what happens when I am at goal in approximately two months?

What will stop the weightloss?

How much more weight will I lose during the gallbladder surgery and recovery?

What if I develop another abscess? How much time in hospital will I spend and how much more weight will I lose?

These are legitimate concerns. And only people like me can inform pre op people of what actually might happen.

If the NHS cannot provide a safe bariatric service, the service needs a review.

To the OP --

Good on you for doing your research.

Although my experience with the sleeve has been textbook perfect -- I had a complication-free surgery, easy and fast recovery, complied strongly with my surgeon's pre- and post-op instructions, have lost 100 pounds and have been at or below goal for nearly 15 months now -- I NEVER try to talk anyone into this surgery. That has to be based solely your own deliberations. And you sound very competent to do your research and make an informed decision.

You should factor into your decision-making the ODDS of bad things happening and the ODDS of good things happening. You should also look VERY carefully at your particular surgeon's results. And you should seek out results that have been confirmed by third parties -- not the surgeon and not the surgeon's representatives.

Before making your decision, go to support groups held by surgeons in your area whom you're considering. Go to at least one (and probably more) introductory lectures by surgeons in your area, whether you're considering having surgery with any of them or not.

The experience of most WLS patients is positive -- at least through the weight-losing phases. My own WLS experience has been outstandingly successful thus far (I'm almost two years post-op).

The odds that your own surgery will be successful depends on the pre-op education, surgical care and post-op care you receive and, just as importantly, the ongoing education you seek out online and from your surgeon's practice.

And assuming you don't have any complications (and the vast majority of patients do NOT have complications of any kind, by which I mean fewer than 1 in a hundred), the single greatest factor that will impact the results you get from WLS is your own compliance and commitment to being successful.

Ultimately, half of WLS patients are successful long-term, by which I mean they lose all or most of their excess weight and maintain all or most of their weight loss. The other half of WLS patients eventually gain back more than half or even all of their excess weight loss.

Keep studying, reading, asking. Consider your own risk factors -- physical, emotional, psychological, environmental. You have to determine whether what you and your surgeon's practice bring to this potential surgery will likely make you successful long-term or not.

Very best wishes! :)

P.S. One of the best things I added to the mix was my decision to see a therapist to maximize my chances of success. I still see him once a month; he's been a big help.

No, I am not being unfair about my particular area's complication record. Out of ten of my NHS bariatric seminar class, all but two of us have had complications in some form or another. Three of us developed abdominal abscesses. One of us was in HDU for weeks, another is currently on her fifth course of antibiotics, on morphine with Fluid on her lungs and seriously ill on the ward. She had no prior health issues. That statistic means it is not rare! I did not have any of these problems before surgery. Fibromyalgia does cause immunity issues but the bariatric team said "Don't worry about it" prior to surgery.

And no, I was not warned about food revulsion, gallbladder removal, malnutrition or abdominal abscesses. I was not warned about food, Protein or lactose intolerances. I cannot tolerate any of the items you mentioned. I know exactly what I am consuming. I have to drink 150 ml of Fluid every hour for 15 hours a day (instructed by my bariatric dietician) for dehydration. I am only allowed free fluids until the gallbladder care plan is established (instructed by my bariatric dietician). I can only tolerate clear Soup, diluted fruit juice and Water at present. I am six weeks out of surgery now.

I discovered that my CRP was 100 (5 is normal) on the day of surgery, my platelets were 600,000 (upper limit is 450,000).

My GP mentioned to a haematologist that my platelets were high but the bariatric team said a referral to haematology was "appropriate".

The pre op assessment nurse halted the surgery due to the platelet issue but the anaesthesiologist overruled that decision.

The NHS booklet I was given on discharge has information in it that we were never told in the two years I attended prior to surgery.

On the ward, there was no provision for bariatric patients on clear fluid so I had to find whatever I could on the normal menu that might work. But there was nothing at all for Breakfast. I was readmitted so quickly post op that I left my blue asthma inhaler behind. No one in the whole hospital could provide one so on the third day I had an asthma attack, then on the fifth day I had an asthma attack.

I was given Cyclizine straight into my vein which caused a severe reaction which nearly caused a stroke. I lost my eyesight, speech and could not read or write for two days. The nurse was heard saying "I pray everytime I administer that to someone".

No one emptied nor monitored my drain fluid. Which is why I think the abscess occurred, the drain was taken out too early.

They were eager to discharge me as a geriatric patient in my bay had decided that I was a teenage girl who had burgled her house and everytime she got a chance, she would get out of bed to try and assault me, often falling in the process.

None of my liquid medications were available through my GP, nor were they ordered on the ward for days. I brought some crushables with me but the ward did not have a crusher, I had to bring my own the second admission.

Finally, the pharmacy just wouldn't supply one medication as they said it wasn't available so I had a severe gout attack.

After the cyclizine debacle, no one thought to remove the cannula so I developed severed phlebitis. I then developed phlebitis at all five cannula sights. They haven't healed yet.

When my surgeon asked the nurses to look after the phlebitis, they told him they would. Did they ever even look? Oh no.

I had to change my own open drain wound on the ward, begging for dressings like a lost puppy.

So not rare.

My hospital had just announced some pay and conditions change. The whole hospital was in an uproar. From the porters to the health care assistants etc, there was drama and serious neglect to patient care on the wards.

And after spending from 31st May to the present, in and out of this hospital, I can tell you, it's not rare!

I think this bariatric program should pause until proper care on the ward is organised and until the source of all of these life threatening infections and abscesses are sorted out.

I am now facing gallbladder surgery in this hospital by the same surgeons. I am petrified.

I am going up there tonight from 6:30 to who knows when for a repeat CT scan which means another cannula being inserted and two days trying to flush the contrast dye from my system. This is my third CT scan.

And as I am losing 10lbs a week at present, what happens when I am at goal in approximately two months?

What if I develop another abscess? How much time in hospital will I spend and how much more weight will I lose?

These are legitimate concerns. And only people like me can inform pre op people of what actually might happen.

You have been through the wringer.

It sounds to me like this needs to be documented and that you need to escalate your concern so.

Does the NHS have patient advocates? Who oversees the hospital said? Is there any kind of oversight?

What you detail sounds like a train wreck of system, program, and individual failures.

This is just not right.

To the OP --

Good on you for doing your research.

Although my experience with the sleeve has been textbook perfect -- I had a complication-free surgery, easy and fast recovery, complied strongly with my surgeon's pre- and post-op instructions, have lost 100 pounds and have been at or below goal for nearly 15 months now -- I NEVER try to talk anyone into this surgery. That has to be based solely your own deliberations. And you sound very competent to do your research and make an informed decision.

You should factor into your decision-making the ODDS of bad things happening and the ODDS of good things happening. You should also look VERY carefully at your particular surgeon's results. And you should seek out results that have been confirmed by third parties -- not the surgeon and not the surgeon's representatives.

Before making your decision, go to support groups held by surgeons in your area whom you're considering. Go to at least one (and probably more) introductory lectures by surgeons in your area, whether you're considering having surgery with any of them or not.

The experience of most WLS patients is positive -- at least through the weight-losing phases. My own WLS experience has been outstandingly successful thus far (I'm almost two years post-op).

The odds that your own surgery will be successful depends on the pre-op education, surgical care and post-op care you receive and, just as importantly, the ongoing education you seek out online and from your surgeon's practice.

And assuming you don't have any complications (and the vast majority of patients do NOT have complications of any kind, by which I mean fewer than 1 in a hundred), the single greatest factor that will impact the results you get from WLS is your own compliance and commitment to being successful.

Ultimately, half of WLS patients are successful long-term, by which I mean they lose all or most of their excess weight and maintain all or most of their weight loss. The other half of WLS patients eventually gain back more than half or even all of their excess weight loss.

Keep studying, reading, asking. Consider your own risk factors -- physical, emotional, psychological, environmental. You have to determine whether what you and your surgeon's practice bring to this potential surgery will likely make you successful long-term or not.

Very best wishes! :)

P.S. One of the best things I added to the mix was my decision to see a therapist to maximize my chances of success. I still see him once a month; he's been a big help.

Fantastic input and I appreciate very much that although your surgery and journey thus far has been positive, you support the practice of researching all aspects to make sure (as much as possible) that the surgery will be safe and appropriate based on pre-op health, mental state, etc. I don't have any health issues (other than being fat! ;) ). The only way I would consider the surgery is if, between my GP and I, we decided that it would beneficial physically (and really mentally too - daily focus has been on weight most of my adult life). I don't want diabetes and feel that in my state I'm a prime candidate for it. I am SO reluctant to diet once again, as every single time I gained it back plus more resulting in my weight now. A new set-point every time so that my body worked to reach my newest all time high and surpassed it. Repeat, repeat. We all know the drill.... I'm in Canada and it's unlikely free surgery would be available to me in the near future. Wait times are long. Mexico is the other option but that in itself causes me nerves. Just the flight itself on my own after surgery is something to worry about - travelling alone 4 days post-op and not knowing how I'll feel gives me pause. I never thought about surgery for myself before - ever. Then my massage therapist told me she is saving to go to WLF in Mexico for the surgery. I was shocked - she looks pretty normal to me! It was days before I even considered it as an option for myself.

How would you gauge your own psychological and physical state prior to surgery? Did you make an effort to get as fit as possible prior to surgery? For you, how was the pre-op diet? Did you feel well during it? And after the surgery - what did you feel like - pain? Difficulty swallowing? Any issues at all? Mental state after? And how did you manage on the liquid diet (is it 2 months?). Thanks!

So not rare.

Yikes. That sounds really bad! Lawsuit? wow - don't know what to say. I'm appalled by the lack of care in the hospital! I'm lucky enough to have limited experience in hospital - appendix out and c-section. Appendix the care was fantastic. C-section not so much. 2 different hospitals. I think when having a baby the nurses just feel like you are fine - sadly I had a terrible infection that got worse and was largely ignored until day4 when the surgeon came to release me and said "you have an infection!" Ya, no kidding. Anyway, I'd still rather have the surgery in Canada, but doubt that'll happen. Wait would be too long. But I'm not going to race off to Mexico without looking into everything that I can. The one thing that concerned me when I was speaking with the facilitator not far from me, that works for WLF in Mexico - she said she is booking for July and August. She KNEW I was completely new at looking into this. It made me pause and think - all about the money for them? Apparently the surgeon is extremely good and she's performed many, many surgeries. The hospital has a higher rating than Canadian hospitals (according to them). At any rate, a chat with my doctor is in order! I wish you luck and hope you find relief soon.

There IS a pilot program in Vancouver, BC, where the government is paying for WLS in order to gauge the possibility of making it available as a health prevention surgery. I did not pay a cent. There are nutritionist visits and A physical therapist as part of the program. Great program, I met many other people having the surgery through. Are you in BC by any stroke of luck?

Well Gina. This must be your hospital only that has this level of care. Which hospital is it? You don't have to go back for your cholecystectomy. You can choose where you have it done. That's patient choice. I suggest you contact their PALS service who can act on your behalf. Why on earth did you consent to surgery without all the information? The risks of surgery are normally written on your consent form. If they aren't then you need to ask why. Gallbladder problems post op are common and when I researched before I had surgery this came up as a common side effect. I was also told by my surgeon of many of the complications you have had.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by madadams

Fantastic input and I appreciate very much that although your surgery and journey thus far has been positive, you support the practice of researching all aspects to make sure (as much as possible) that the surgery will be safe and appropriate based on pre-op health, mental state, etc. I don't have any health issues (other than being fat! ;) ). The only way I would consider the surgery is if, between my GP and I, we decided that it would beneficial physically (and really mentally too - daily focus has been on weight most of my adult life). I don't want diabetes and feel that in my state I'm a prime candidate for it. I am SO reluctant to diet once again, as every single time I gained it back plus more resulting in my weight now. A new set-point every time so that my body worked to reach my newest all time high and surpassed it. Repeat, repeat. We all know the drill.... I'm in Canada and it's unlikely free surgery would be available to me in the near future. Wait times are long. Mexico is the other option but that in itself causes me nerves. Just the flight itself on my own after surgery is something to worry about - travelling alone 4 days post-op and not knowing how I'll feel gives me pause. I never thought about surgery for myself before - ever. Then my massage therapist told me she is saving to go to WLF in Mexico for the surgery. I was shocked - she looks pretty normal to me! It was days before I even considered it as an option for myself.

How would you gauge your own psychological and physical state prior to surgery? Did you make an effort to get as fit as possible prior to surgery? For you, how was the pre-op diet? Did you feel well during it? And after the surgery - what did you feel like - pain? Difficulty swallowing? Any issues at all? Mental state after? And how did you manage on the liquid diet (is it 2 months?). Thanks!

Thanks, @@TracyBar .

Responding to your bolded comments (above):

How would you gauge your own psychological and physical state prior to surgery?

Extremely motivated! Determined! Goal-oriented!

Did you make an effort to get as fit as possible prior to surgery?

I did what I could, given I was 100 pounds heavier, very much "out of shape, and in arthritic pain. What made me nuts pre-op was that I wanted to get my show on the road ASAP. Yet all the hoops I had to jump through (insurance, psych eval, nutritionist's and physical therapy visits, etc.) were taking so long. So what I finally did was put myself on a 1400 calories/day diet. Like you, I was researching my butt off -- reading, studying, asking questions here on BP and on another gastric sleeve message board. I learned about all the eating behaviors (protein first, chew better, eat slower, small plates, no drinking with meals, etc. etc. etc. And I started eating and moving like I was a new bariatric patient. I stopped all sodas, reduced coffee, started taking Vitamins, bought a Fitbit, upped my daily steps. I've said elsewhere here that I felt like a kid on the playground with a Batman cape who thinks he's actually Batman. ;) So, yes, I got "on board" before I boarded the train. :) FYI, I lost 11 pounds in 2 months on my own pre-pre-op diet.

For you, how was the pre-op diet? Did you feel well during it?

It seemed no different to me than any other low-calorie diet I'd ever been on. And I've been on dozens of them! Remember that I didn't go from eating heavily to the pre-op diet, but from 1,400 calories to the pre-op diet. I was on the doc's pre-op (liver-shrinking) diet for two weeks. The first week was two Protein shakes a day and a Lean Cuisine (or something like that) for dinner. The second week was three Protein Shakes a day. I felt a little icky the first three days and had a headache on Day Three. Thereafter, I just started feeling better. BTW, I lost 8 more pounds in that 2-week liver-shrinking diet.

And after the surgery - what did you feel like - pain? Difficulty swallowing? Any issues at all?

I fared pretty well. Was in the hospital only one night (standard op for my surgeon here in Missouri). I was on IV pain meds in the hospital, but came home with only liquid hydracodone, which I took only two doses of. It made me feel weird, so I stopped it. I didn't really have any pain after that.

Re difficulty swallowing -- yes, it was hard the first week to get in all my liquids. BTW, the sore, swollen throat thing is due to the hard plastic tube they put down your throat during surgery. I'd say two weeks post-op I was drinking pretty normally.

My program allowed us to drink Protein Shakes immediately after surgery. And I worked hard to get all my Protein in ASAP -- which I managed by Day Five post-op. My immediate post-op protein target was 60 grams/day.

BTW, some people have a hard time after surgery, but MOST people have a response much like mine. There's a recent thread around here called something like: "What's wrong? I'm not miserable immediately post-op!" You should try to find and read that thread -- it's sort of funny. ;)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/372467-ok-i-have-to-askare-things-going-too-well-am-i-overdoing-it/

Mental state after?

On Day Three (second day home) I had my "WTF have I done?!" moment. It lasted about an hour. There were no tears -- it was just an hour of, "Jeez Louise! I actually allowed a surgeon to remove 85% of my stomach. This actually happened!" I certainly wasn't suffering from any delusion that I would never feel differently than I did at that moment. But it was just my time to align the *theory* and the *reality) of voluntarily giving up at least three-quarters of your stomach's maximum capacity.

Oh, and by the way -- immediately post-op your capacity is much less than what it will be later on. Immediately post-op your sleeve is swollen and inflamed from the trauma it's just been through. The first 3-6 months post-op is all about giving your new sleeve time and nutrition to heal and knit back together. That's one of the main reasons there are so many specific food phases post-op -- so you won't spring a leak.

And how did you manage on the liquid diet (is it 2 months?). Thanks!

Oh, hell, no! :) My surgeon's requirements were more like full liquids for two weeks. Then purees for a week or so. Then soft foods for a week or two. By Month Two I was on full foods -- mind you, I was chewing all my bites like a Swiss cow. ;) By Month Three I was going out to restaurants. I was also bringing home a lot of food. Two years later, I still bring home a lot of food.

Later, I'll try to find and post here my one-year-surgiversary post -- what I did during Year One that I thought helped me reach my goal and go below it.

EDIT: Here's a link here on BP to my one-year-surgiversary post:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/361806-self-sabatoge/?hl=%2Bthang+%2Bverra+%2Bmudge#entry4088307

Having said all this there are NO GUARANTEES for anyone about what will work best for them or what their level of success will be. There are many individual differences. I'm fond of saying patients have to be willing to conduct a lot of "science" with a research sample of one -- themself. And then they have to have the courage to do with great consistency what works best for them.

Here's one of my first posts, and all of the responses really helped me decide the surgery was the right choice. I had a view of what life would look like after that wasn't accurate, at least for most people apparently. It sounds like you have some of the same concerns I did. Now, I haven't had the surgery yet, am working through insurance requirements right now. :) But I'm 100% committed to it at this point, thanks in no small part to the excellent information and shared experiences I got here. Best of luck!!

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/365646-questionsconcerns-about-the-lifetime-commitment/

There IS a pilot program in Vancouver, BC, where the government is paying for WLS in order to gauge the possibility of making it available as a health prevention surgery. I did not pay a cent. There are nutritionist visits and A physical therapist as part of the program. Great program, I met many other people having the surgery through. Are you in BC by any stroke of luck?

Hi - no, I'm in Calgary. Born and raised in Vancouver (Coquitlam). My family and friends are there. I'll talk to my GP to see if she knows more about it here in Calgary. What hospital are they running the pilot program out of?