Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can I expect as a guy having the gastric bypass surgery.

Hello,

I recently was told that my esophagus would not tolerate the gastric sleeve and the bypass was my only option. I was wondering what other guys have experienced with the bypass surgery and what I can expect. I had the lap band a wile back and had good success until it prolapsed. Thanks for any input.

Edited by cybershank

That is interesting. I've never heard of that one. What is it about your esophagus that would stop a sleeve? Mine gets tight at the bottom and requires occasionally stretching, but nothing to keep my from being sleeved.

I also had a lap band and they recommended RNY for me. I could have had a sleeve, but they would have needed to fix my hiatal hernia. The sleeve leads to higher esophageal pressure, so if you have GERD or an issue with your esophagus from the band, and RNY might be suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had a slightly dilated distal esophagus, severe volume refux and an axial hernia (band removal alone wasn't enough) so I got a revision to bypass and the hernia fixed. Sleeve would have been the wrong treatment for this.

The sleeve leads to higher esophageal pressure,

...whereas bypass creates a low-pressure system.

Sometimes RNY bypass is used as an anti-reflux treatment, even if the patient is not overweight (I guess they created a much smaller bypass then). When I got surgery I met a man who had failed fundoplicatio two times and finally got a RNY to treat his reflux.

Even though I never noticed any signs of reflux the scope revealed severe damage from it. They even told me I was at a high risk for esophagus cancer. The surgeon said he would not do the gastric sleeve because it would be suicide. I know my esophagus was good after my pre Lap-Band scope.

I know some women who have had the bypass including my mother, but no men. I was wondering what I can expect as far as muscle loss and that sort of thing. Thanks for everyone's input.

I am 3 years post op RNY gastric bypass surgery. One of the reasons why I choose this procedure was because I had severe acid reflux (GERD). Gastric sleeve will only make that condition worse. I am 3 years post-op and GERD is no longer a problem.

I don't think you will experience any muscle loss (provided you meet your daily Protein requirements), but the weight will drop off quite noticeably. Also you may gain more muscle mass because you will be exercising more. This is my before photo compared to my 6 month photo after the operation.

Operation.jpg

Even though I never noticed any signs of reflux the scope revealed severe damage from it. They even told me I was at a high risk for esophagus cancer. The surgeon said he would not do the gastric sleeve because it would be suicide. I know my esophagus was good after my pre Lap-Band scope.

I know some women who have had the bypass including my mother, but no men. I was wondering what I can expect as far as muscle loss and that sort of thing. Thanks for everyone's input.

Muscle loss? Not been a problem, but it really depends on how well you do with staying on program. Follow

@@BigViffer This guy is an animal

Yeah, I'm an animal alright. I'm like a pumped up and pissed off tortoise! I make slow progress, but I'll get there eventually.

I had the sleeve, so I cannot give you my experience as testament. If you are looking to build muscle, it may be more difficult than it is for me but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. You must continue to think long term. 5 years down the road where will you be instead of in 6 months I want bulging biceps. If all you want it to keep your current level of strength, sure you'll be able to do that after the first 6 months. You will lose muscle mass in the beginning. It is unavoidable, but it isn't gone forever. Follow the plan and stay determined and you can accomplish great things.

Even though I never noticed any signs of reflux the scope revealed severe damage from it. They even told me I was at a high risk for esophagus cancer. The surgeon said he would not do the gastric sleeve because it would be suicide.

Silent reflux is a problem because people simply don't notice it.

I noticed my (volume) reflux but thought I would be protected because I was taking the PPI (had no burning sensations at all) but in the last EGD they saw a benign lesion and that's when I got scared and wanted the bypass.

The lesion was removed but the scar now has to be controlled once a year with EGD.

I had RNY 4 months ago. I was cleared for all exercise one month post op. So, I would say, how much muscle you lose is up to you.

Follow your program, get your Protein in, hit the weights as soon as you are cleared by your doc and there should be no issues with muscle loss.

Given I did not workout prior to surgery, I would say I most likely have muscle gain.