Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scare to go to solids.

I had surgery 12 days ago and I am still on liquids. Im getting hungery in the evenings so I have had mashed potatoes and cream Soup on occasion but I don't loose when I do that. I weigh daily and I have been losing 1lb a day. So I am scared that when I go to solids that I will gain. Has anybody experienced this?

Did your doctor also tell you that during the Un-filled period you may regain your initial weight loss and that this is fairly common until one begins getting adjustments/fills? This is a very common complaint from new post-ops. Once their pain seems to have subsided and their healing begins. Their hunger returns and they move out of Clear Liquids.

You will not lose 1lb a day with the lapband. 1lb a day is not even healthy for you. The lapband average weight loss is 5-10lbs per month overall. This does not mean that you're guaranteed a minimum of 5lbs per month. This means that one year from now you will have lost anywhere from 50-100lbs depending on your food choices, exercise and Water intake.

Please do not set yourself up for disappointment thinking you can maintain a loss of 1lb per day. It is unhealthy and it is simply not the way the band works.

Most doctors with any longevity require you to do Clear Liquids in the beginning, then move into full liquids, onto soft/mushy foods - all of which are not great weight loss choices.

Inamed states very clearly that unless the patient uses their own good food choices during this period they very well may not lose weight. This time is meant strictly for healing, to allow the band to get seated into scar tissue so that slippage may be harder later down the road.

Take care of yourself. Remember this is not a race. You have the rest of your life to lose your weight in a healthy manner. Good luck!

Lisa didn't you have your surgery with Dr. Ortiz?

I do not remember his post op instructions allowing Soups and mashed potatoes at day 12? Be careful to follow your Dr's post op instructions you would not want to jeopardize the healing process and having your band set in place like the Dr. wants it to. Well to answer your questions..yes it is normal to gain weight when you go from liquids to softs and from soft to solids..but I can tell you from experience weighing everyday will drive you insane you will loses and gain the same 2 lbs over and over again ..most of us here are in a weeklt scale challenge to stay off the scale and only weight once a week and it really helps in the wieght loss..Good Luck

hi , lisa

because, your changing from liquids to solids, you can gain or stay in the same last weightin you took, but, remmber, if you chew your food well is like eatting puree.semisolids. and is true, you need the time to heal, and rest your insides,

lea-g explained it very well, and michelle, look over your booklet and see what you can really eat, and what you can't eat , so you can make a speedy recover and graduate to solids, chew well and eat slowly, so you can enjoy each bite and your food.

best of health,

margie

------------------------------------------

margie

4/5/04

295/258/gol140

Weighing yourself each day is not a good habit to get into...I weigh myself 1 x week, but when I started I measured myself. That way if I have a week (or 4 weeks last month) when I am not losing, I can check to see how many inches I have lost. Over the last 40 years in ww. I have seen how fickle that scale can be, now it has no power over me, I just keep eating the right way, exercising and drinking and I know it (poundage)will eventually all come off.

Good Luck,

Nancy

Lisa you live in Sedro Woolley? I think you are pretty close to me. I am in Castle Rock, WA. I had surgery in May 04. I too have a hard time staying off the scales. I think I have just came to accept that I am going to get on them. I know they say it is not good but I don't know about that. I think it keeps me on track. If it is up a day I really watch myself the next. I think it is hard to say if it is good or bad I think for some it is ok and not for others. I think it should be what ever works best for you. Either way best of luck to you. Maybe since we are so close we could meet someday?