Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airport security issues ?

I didn't think you were saying that at all, sorry for the confusion.

Yes, TSA are basically like security officers and not real law enforcement.

And despite my lack of flying, it does seem like they are pretty shady.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I always get patted down. It's the skin and blobs of fat. After I lost weight, I used to get patted on my upper arms, abdomen, upper thighs and calves. Then, I had plastics, which left me in pretty good shape, except for my outer hips and calves. Then last year I had Lipo of my outer thighs, and just a couple of weeks ago, I still got the pat down, but it was only my calves, which both have an area of a fatty deposit that never goes away, no matter how much exercise or weight loss. I was elated the freakish thigh area no longer drew attention.

So, I came home knowing I'm not crazy, I am going to need some work done on my calves, lol! Thanks, TSA, for pointing that out! ;)

I fly pretty frequently and have never been patted down until after my VSG. Since my VSG the body scanner always indicates my stomach and my stomach is always patted down. Every time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

While it might be the staples it could also be a case of any scar tissue around them showing up as a more dense area. I say that because I have really bad lymphedema in my left leg and for the last few years, every time I go through the body scanners I have to have my left leg patted down because the Fluid buildup shows up more dense on the scanners. Annoying but at least I know to expect it now.

I have flown numerous times since surgery. I have not had a issue at all. I do have TSA pre-check and global entry. However, this does nothing when you go out of the country. I have y had any issues in foreign countries either. I would recommended getting the pre-check to anyone who travels a couple of times per year. It is great! Save a lot of time at the airport when you arrive.

I have flown numerous times since surgery. I have not had a issue at all. I do have TSA pre-check and global entry. However, this does nothing when you go out of the country. I have y had any issues in foreign countries either. I would recommended getting the pre-check to anyone who travels a couple of times per year. It is great! Save a lot of time at the airport when you arrive.

Yes it sucks having to spend $100 to keep from getting sexually molested by your government when you travel, but on the other side of the coin, my time is worth more than that...so I spent the cash. TSA can't give a decent massage, and I don't want a happy ending from those creeps.

I guess I look at it a little different........I want them to be very thorough and hope they find EVERYTHING! Because if the guy behind me in line has a bomb strapped to his belly I sure hope they find it!! I will gladly go through the extra hassle if that's what it takes to be a little safer........You never know when the next nut job is going to show up.

I flew a couple of weeks ago. First flight nothing and this was the metal detector. My flight home was the body scanner and I set it off. They did a scan of my body with a wand and checked my hands for residue. They think it was the bling on the back of my capri pants. No big deal. I would rather them be cautious then have a tragedy. :)

My work paid for the pre check and global entry, but I would gladly have paid $1000 to not have to stand in those security lines again. I get to the airport 20-30 min before my flight if it's domestic these days and I love it. Anytime spent in an airport is wasted time to me unless it's a nice airport. But in NYC we don't have nice airports.

Those are few and far between.

Also, @@beach lover I am intrigued. Tell me more about these blinged out Capri pants

LOL, they are just some denim capri's with some fancy bling on the back pockets. :P

I had my surgery a few days ago. No staples, he used glue. Do you think I'll have the same problem?

@@OKCPirate ... you and I usually agree on most topics.

I also fly a lot.

I don't find the TSA experience enjoyable. Not the lines, the technology, the process or the pat-downs when they happen -- and yes, pre-checked passengers are sometimes patted down. And when I win the lottery I'll never fly commercial again.

But I don't believe that 99.XX% of TSA employees come to work hoping to feel people up, whether they're "hot" or not. I think they're trying to do a job that's stressful and not easy.

I also think that telling someone who's riding a subway to work wearing a TSA uniform (whom you don't know from Adam and have zero knowledge about his on-the-job behavior) is rude and juvenile. I also think that insulting strangers in public places who have neither harmed nor threatened you is not smart.

Just wanted to add that perspective to the mix.

I had my surgery a few days ago. No staples, he used glue. Do you think I'll have the same problem?

I believe it's the staples used on your stomach that they are referring to. Are you referring to your incisions?

In my last trip, I was patted every time TSA used the big body scanner. The xrays showed like an empty space where my Duodenal Switch was performed. No doubt it was from my one year Bariatric surgery. :rolleyes:

I have flown 3 times since my RNY and each time that stupid scanner indicates an issue in my abdominal region. I keep telling them there is nothing in my pockets or pants. No bling, just plain pants. It has to have something to do with the surgery. I don't have an apron either.