Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DO AS YOU'RE TOLD BY YOUR SURGICAL TEAM!

I agree with a lot of what's been said on this topic but this is a WLS support forum and everyone is entitled to rant and/or ask questions. A lot of the more recent surgery patients just want to make comparisons I think so that may be the reason for some of the questions that we may find silly or uninformed. Either way, we're here to support one another so I try to stay on a positive note because in the real world people are not so supportive. They dog you for your weight gain and then find WLS repulsive. You can't make some people happy so folks come here in hopes of finding understanding "friends and supporters" that will help them along this path of uncertainty. Weight loss is not easy, even with the surgery , and the diet gets old so I can understand the rants and questions about eating and drinking things they shouldn't. Just remember....... Just because we can doesn't mean we should. Follow the doctor's orders.

It is all a bit confusing at times, so I can see people getting VERY confused. Some doctors have two weeks of liquid diets post op, not my doc. Day three is puréed and I'm just fine. My doc says no carbs and no Tomato sauce, yet people are making chili to purée and mashed potatoes are on their approved list. Nothing nutritious about mashed potatoes.

My doc says no milk or yogurt, yet everyone I read has been having yogurt. I asked my doctor about this and he said don't listen or pay attention to what they're all doing cause it's wrong. I assume I should believe him. As much as I'd love to have yogurt or puréed chili.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doc says no milk or yogurt, yet everyone I read has been having yogurt. I asked my doctor about this and he said don't listen or pay attention to what they're all doing cause it's wrong.

That's interesting. In the hospital where I got my surgery milk, yoghurt and quark are staples from the second post-op day on. As for Beans (or other legumes) they said not for the first four weeks, after that just fine. Raw vegetables not for the first four weeks, after that just fine. Same for coffee. Ok to drink after four weeks are over.

And I'm also sure they would say "don't listen to others" as well. ^_^

I already said it: not that much evidence based stuff out there, as it seems.

Edited by summerset

@@jintycb, Of course I think it’s really important to do as you’re told by your surgical team! I also think that before that, you should make sure you trust your surgical team. Find a team you trust, so that you are willing to do whatever they tell you. If they tell you something you don’t agree with, ask why they want you to do it. Usually they have a good reason.

But I also think it is legit to ask around online to see what other patients have been told. You can learn a lot and even come up with some new questions to ask your surgical team.

I think it's interesting/frustrating to compare the differences in "rules" from different surgeons. I'm not always happy about it, but it's interesting. It's also easy to distinguish between real questions (I ate some chicken breast on my 2 week pre-op shake only diet, am I doomed?) and those looking for justification for their actions (I'm 2 weeks post-op and drank a case of Natty lite and didn't die, so why is my surgeon so stupid about restrictions?). While I agree with OP that you should follow your surgeon's guidelines, I don't think it's the end of the world to educate yourself about all the different approaches that different practices take. It's all knowledge.

Edited by leebick

My bariatric team contradict themselves constantly. My surgeon wanted me to take antibiotics the size of horse pills at two weeks post op. The ward staff refused to issue the tablets and I got a frantic call from the nurse telling me not to take any tablets until I was six weeks out.

Just an example. I won't bore you with the other thousand.

They "forgot" that I was still on fluids (8 weeks out), so I needed to experiment with foods. Using my discharge booklet as guidance, I also looked here to see what other people found successful.

I have asked questions here at 2 in the morning when no team was available.

I have asked questions here to see what others have actually experienced.

None of my bariatric team have actually ever had bariatric surgery.

They don't know how it feels.

And once you don't trust your team, other humans can be helpful.

I have to have a colonoscopy on Thursday which means a massively strong enema solution. At 8 weeks out, I am worried that my new stomach won't like this. Asking my surgeon is not helpful (remember the horse pill?), my nurse is on holiday. The colonoscopy team don't know. My GP says that is "beyond her".

Who will I ask?

I will research as much as I can, then decide what to do myself.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App