Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am preparing for Gastric Bypass in July and looking for advice about preparation, the procedure, and recovery. Thank you in advance.

Two recommendations.

Cut out all caffeine and carbonated beverages now. I went cold turkey on my 6 diet coke a day habit at the beginning of the process. I suffered through a week of severe headaches and body aches from caffeine withdrawal. If you wait until the last minute to get off these just before surgery, you will combine the effects of surgery with the pain of caffeine withdrawal.

Walk 30 minutes (or equivalent exercise ) every day from now on. It really helps with minimizing any pain from surgery and the recovery process.

@@James Marusek Thank you. I have eliminated soda so far. Tea... on the other hand is more difficult. At this point, I am trying to switch to decaffeinated and herbal. Walking/swimming happens most every day either 30 min in the pool or walking at least 5 days a week. WHAT ELSE?

Take a good photograph of yourself. Many people do not really look at themselves prior to surgery. I mean really, really look at themselves. Therefore after surgery when the weight begins to drop off they fail to see the difference. This is where a good before photo comes in handy. I don't mean the one that the surgeon's office takes. I mean your own personal copy.

Buy a pill splitter and pill crusher. After surgery I lost my ability to swallow even medium size pills or Vitamins.

Buy a product called Bio-Oil. You can find it at CVS, Walmart and other stores. After surgery, my face began to develop very, very fine wrinkles. The kind you see on people that are 100 years old. My wife suggested this product and I began using it and it does the trick.

When you sleep on your side after surgery, put a pillow between your feet. This will help to keep you comfortable. Also I recommend a product Wonderful cushion which you can find at Bed, Bath and Beyond. You will lose fat in your rear end and this can make it uncomfortable to sit.

Fat is a good insulator. Before surgery I was always hot. Even on cold days I would sweat. Now I feel the cold and I thank God for the person who invented hand warmers. A great product when you are shoveling snow in the winter.

You will have to replace your entire wardrobe of clothing in the end. I found belts, especially cowboy type belts to be good, because I could cut them down and punch new holes in them as my waist size dropped. One thing you don't want to do is walk down a street and have your pants fall down on you.

You may even have to replace your shoes. You may drop a size or your width may decrease. Mine didn't but several patients experience this.

I bought a small metal spoon and use it all the time. I think they gave me a small plastic one in the hospital but I liked my small metal spoon.

Here are some other thoughts. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Take a good photograph of yourself. Many people do not really look at themselves prior to surgery. I mean really, really look at themselves. Therefore after surgery when the weight begins to drop off they fail to see the difference. This is where a good before photo comes in handy. I don't mean the one that the surgeon's office takes. I mean your own personal copy.

Buy a pill splitter and pill crusher. After surgery I lost my ability to swallow even medium size pills or Vitamins.

Buy a product called Bio-Oil. You can find it at CVS, Walmart and other stores. After surgery, my face began to develop very, very fine wrinkles. The kind you see on people that are 100 years old. My wife suggested this product and I began using it and it does the trick.

When you sleep on your side after surgery, put a pillow between your feet. This will help to keep you comfortable. Also I recommend a product Wonderful cushion which you can find at Bed, Bath and Beyond. You will lose fat in your rear end and this can make it uncomfortable to sit.

Fat is a good insulator. Before surgery I was always hot. Even on cold days I would sweat. Now I feel the cold and I thank God for the person who invented hand warmers. A great product when you are shoveling snow in the winter.

You will have to replace your entire wardrobe of clothing in the end. I found belts, especially cowboy type belts to be good, because I could cut them down and punch new holes in them as my waist size dropped. One thing you don't want to do is walk down a street and have your pants fall down on you.

You may even have to replace your shoes. You may drop a size or your width may decrease. Mine didn't but several patients experience this.

I bought a small metal spoon and use it all the time. I think they gave me a small plastic one in the hospital but I liked my small metal spoon.

Here are some other thoughts. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Really great advice. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G360T using the BariatricPal App

If you have any particular issues with emotional eating or mindless eating - talk to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. You'll need to learn how to cope without using food. Good luck on your journey!