Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you get a tat?

I've been wanting one for years.... I think I'm finally gonna jump in.

My oldest graduated HS yesterday, turns 18 in a month and will be off to college in August.

We are going to get matching tattoos--a small blue larkspur on our ankles. It's our shared birth flower and the primary flower from my wedding almost 21 years ago (her dad and still my husband).

It's so we always have a little piece of each other with us!

I got my first tattoo at 46. Always wanted one but had to do one that I knew I could proudly live with for the rest of my life and be proud of always. My Mom was born in Dublin Ireland and was adopted. I have spent over 15 years looking for her birth family and have finally found them. I got 1 shamrock with 4 leaves and 4 smaller shamrocks with 3 leaves on my right outer ankle to symbolize my Irish Pride. The 4 smaller shamrocks represent My Husband, 2 children and myself. I absolutely LOVE it!post-293271-14657668826139_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Tattoos are things I just don't understand. Why ink your natural God-given skin? So many ways to make a statement...with accomplishments, education, helping others. Just sayin... I'm not understanding this craze. But, do your thing, if you so choose.

I got my first tattoo at 46. Always wanted one but had to do one that I knew I could proudly live with for the rest of my life and be proud of always. My Mom was born in Dublin Ireland and was adopted. I have spent over 15 years looking for her birth family and have finally found them. I got 1 shamrock with 4 leaves and 4 smaller shamrocks with 3 leaves on my right outer ankle to symbolize my Irish Pride. The 4 smaller shamrocks represent My Husband, 2 children and myself. I absolutely LOVE it!attachicon.gif 20160428_211822.jpg

Very cool! I have 1 on my for arm above my wrist. I really like yours. I have been told that it really hurts on upper foot and ankle area?

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using the BariatricPal App

I got my first tattoo at 46. Always wanted one but had to do one that I knew I could proudly live with for the rest of my life and be proud of always. My Mom was born in Dublin Ireland and was adopted. I have spent over 15 years looking for her birth family and have finally found them. I got 1 shamrock with 4 leaves and 4 smaller shamrocks with 3 leaves on my right outer ankle to symbolize my Irish Pride. The 4 smaller shamrocks represent My Husband, 2 children and myself. I absolutely LOVE it!attachicon.gif 20160428_211822.jpg

That's pretty! I have a nasty scar on my calf/ankle and always thought about having a nice tattoo to cover/disguise it. I like this!

Very cool! I have 1 on my for arm above my wrist. I really like yours. I have been told that it really hurts on upper foot and ankle area?

Thank you! It was pretty painful but as far as tattoos go I have nothing to compare it to since this is the only one I have.

That's pretty! I have a nasty scar on my calf/ankle and always thought about having a nice tattoo to cover/disguise it. I like this!
Thank you!

Tattoos are things I just don't understand. Why ink your natural God-given skin? So many ways to make a statement...with accomplishments, education, helping others. Just sayin... I'm not understanding this craze. But, do your thing, if you so choose.

Who's to say those of us with ink don't also have or do any of those and more?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I agree, to each his own. I think of it as art. And beautiful art if we'll thought out

.....do your thing, if you so choose.

I am. And the beauty is you don't have to understand.

But while we're at it, do you wear makeup? Do you shave? Do you cut your hair? Ever dyed it or gotten a perm? Oh yeah, and did you have a surgical procedure that removed most of a perfectly healthy stomach? All of these things are forms of altering your God given body.

I have three butterflies on the top of my foot, one for both of my sons and one for me. Our initials are in the details of the wings. I also found a pic of a sleeping angel on a cloud, from her toes hang 2 stars, for two important people in my life that I lost too soon. This I have on my left shoulderblade. I want another, and will reward myself when I hit my healthy weight!

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to explain this. I suspected tats have a story but we don't often get a chance to find out.

For the records...I have none and I'm not interested getting a permanent ID. But saw a bunch at a wediening this weekend and was curious

post-288524-14657796987702_thumb.jpg

I have 5 tattoos. My first one is a semicolon on my wrist. It symbolizes that I will go on no matter what my struggles were in the past. My second one was a mountain range on my other wrist. I love the mountains and my soul truly feels at home when I'm there. The 3rd is a broken arrow on my left ring finger. Though my path is broken, I continue forward. The 4th is a Number 3 in calligraphy on the ring finger of my left hand. It symbolizes my 3 children. And the 5th is the one pictured. It is a Viking stave that represents safe passage through rough seas/safe journey. I got this one just this past week.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well people have been explaining why.

I just don't understand why you didn't just skip over the thread if it truly doesn't interest you, but you support others doing their thing. Why make the comment?

I have one tattoo on the top of my foot. It is a purple ribbon with my nephew's name in cursive. I will be adding my niece's name to it soon. They both have Cystic Fibrosis, it's my way of honoring them and to keep in focus that all life is precious.

I want more, three more to be exact.