Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEW POLICY: Editing Posts

@@CHM

Let me know when you're looking for some fun...

I'll see what I can do...

@@CHMLet me know when you're looking for some fun...I'll see what I can do...

I'm always looking for fun. I'll take whatever you have...

I don't super love or not love this idea. Sometimes I edit posts because I read it after it's posted and I wonder where I learned to spell or I somehow missed entire words in my post, so the time limit is effective for that. On two occasions though I edited a post way after this time and I would have been upset if I had been unable to do so. First, I posted a picture of my arms after surgery that I later wanted to delete, and I was glad that I could, and second I posted a long post about how one of my plastic surgeries might not have been a good idea, while I was hopped up on Percocet the day after surgery and freaking out because I thought I was going to end up with an ugly butt (butt is fine btw, lol). I was really glad I could go back and delete the parts that made me sound stupid the next day and I have often raved about my plastic surgeon (who is awesome) and I didn't want anyone to read my post and decide against using him, because I was freaked out about my new butt. Not to be the needy one, but do we have the option of messaging a site manager and having a post removed in this kind of circumstance?

Past that, I like the idea that all the wimps who start drama can't go back and delete their post. It's really much less fun for me when I read through all the replies and I can't read the original post. I think if you want to start crap, own it...I have far more value for someone who posts something inflammatory and then stands behind what they said than a coward who goes back and deletes it. If you're going to be a troll, at least be a troll that has a pair.

@@AvaFern

I remember your Percoset-ugly butt posts. Good times ;)

What's that topic title, "NEW POLICE...?" It's got a strong whiff of paternalism and 1984. I'm unfamiliar with the posts that brought on the Gotcha Police and have no interest in them. It may be, however, that people write things in the heat of whatever and then decide they'd gone beyond what they'd truly intended to convey. Or not. The only good in all this is that, for a nominal fee, one can display one's uncouth nature for a lengthier period. Rejoice, the matter is not significant enough to be entertained by the Supreme Court, where it would otherwise be ground into the dust.

I don't super love or not love this idea. Sometimes I edit posts because I read it after it's posted and I wonder where I learned to spell or I somehow missed entire words in my post, so the time limit is effective for that. On two occasions though I edited a post way after this time and I would have been upset if I had been unable to do so. First, I posted a picture of my arms after surgery that I later wanted to delete, and I was glad that I could, and second I posted a long post about how one of my plastic surgeries might not have been a good idea, while I was hopped up on Percocet the day after surgery and freaking out because I thought I was going to end up with an ugly butt (butt is fine btw, lol). I was really glad I could go back and delete the parts that made me sound stupid the next day and I have often raved about my plastic surgeon (who is awesome) and I didn't want anyone to read my post and decide against using him, because I was freaked out about my new butt. Not to be the needy one, but do we have the option of messaging a site manager and having a post removed in this kind of circumstance?

Past that, I like the idea that all the wimps who start drama can't go back and delete their post. It's really much less fun for me when I read through all the replies and I can't read the original post. I think if you want to start crap, own it...I have far more value for someone who posts something inflammatory and then stands behind what they said than a coward who goes back and deletes it. If you're going to be a troll, at least be a troll that has a pair.

I think in a situation like this, you could ask me or another host to help you out. I'd totally understand. It's the drama stirring, not not pain pill induced or privacy issue we'd like to end. :)

It's the drama stirring...

Aww. So I need to keep my "straws are good" comments to myself then?

Nevar!!!

I'm an English professor and get twitchy when I read posts I've written (mainly from my phone) that are pockmarked with errors, but I think most people on the internet are more relaxed and expect such mistakes. Plus, it can be comical to read some of the autoincorrect mishaps. My sister-in-law just wrote a Facebook post abut having accidentally spilled a pot of human beings all over the kitchen floor. She meant ham and Beans, but autocorrect was in a mischievous mood. :)

I think the policy of putting a time limit on when posts can be edited is fair, though. It's actually generous. I help to moderate the private community forum for my university, and it's common for the manufacturers of drama to then edit out their post and just be an audience to the ruckus they caused. Sadly, the faculty posters are just as likely, if not more so, to be the authors of such posts as the teenage undergrads. Everyone choses usernames to go by on the board, but moderators can see their email addresses used to log in. If only shaking your head counted as exercise, haha.

@@jaxmom if you are shotgun, then I get the back seat! That's where the troublemakers sit :)

@@LipstickLady love your replies on this thread! One in particular ;D

Dog gone it! I wish somebody would pm me with all this nonsense that started this and made it necessary after 9 years to put this rule in effect !

I gotta stay more active that's all. I stay in my little corners and forget there is the rest of the board!

I hope this forum doesn't become drama filled. I have acquired a wealth of information from this site and hope it continues to be a place were I/we all can learn, contribute, and assist one another

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I hope this forum doesn't become drama filled. I have acquired a wealth of information from this site and hope it continues to be a place were I/we all can learn, contribute, and assist one another

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

Anything that facilitates the meeting of different people will leave drama in it's wake. This is especially true of online forums where people can 'hide' behind a computer and not actually have to face the sh*t they stir up.

We all just have to absorb what we need, leave whatever we can give, and ignore what we don't like. Utopias do not exist.

Can I book my seat for the excursion please? Makes me think of a line from 'Orpheus in the Underworld' courtesy of Messrs Gilbert & Sullivan. Goes something like: Bound on a trip to hell are we, what glee! Please don't think that I am trying to make you think that I am cultured. Never let it be said. I only know it because of dancing in a TV production in the early '80s and we had to learn all the words!!!!!! Mind you, did dance with Fonteyn and Nureyev in my youth so 'spose there's a bit of culture lurking in my bones somewhere. Yeh, I know, us old gits have a habit of name dropping. Well dears, when you get to my age.............!