Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Glucophge--my blood sugar meds.

I take glucophge for my diabetic condition. As those of you that take the same medication, they are very large pills. Will I be able to swallow them after the surgery. My surgery is scheduled for Aug 27th. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I take the same drug for my PCOS. Not only they are huge, they taste nasty. So I cut them up in 4 pieces, and eat it with some suger-free chocolate pudding. They go down very easily and you taste nothing but chocolate.

Hi Guys,

I also take metformin for PCOS.

The chocolate pudding idea sounds great. The only thing someone should check before breaking or crushing the tablets is to make sure you are not taking the extended release version of the medication. If you break the ER you can get a large dose of medication at once.

Brenda

Hi. I was banded May 29th and had the same concern. I needed to take 2 of those big pills twice a day. I was told it would be ok but then when I was seeing the Endocrenologist the day of the surgery, he told me that they were having great success with another med called Januvia. It is smaller and once a day. My Internist agreed that trying that would be fine. I am thrilled to say that 21 lbs. down I was then able to cut back to 1/2 Januvia once a day and I hope to be off soon. I am not at a good restriction yet but I my 2nd fill this afternoon so I am hoping... TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT YOUR MEDICATION CONCERNS. I HAVE FOUND THEY USUALLY HAVE A SOLUTION. Good luck!!:confused:

I've been banded for 12 months and can take my loritab 10's which are the same size as the gucophage and my 2 other pills at the same time. I've never had to cut them or crush them. I know some people do so you might want to just buy a pill cutter and try it. I bought one a year ago and it's still in the package.

I don't want diabetes but I was self pay for my surgery and altogether been out about 20,000.00 and my husband the year before I was banded was put on glucophage. I've only lost 80 pounds in one year being banded and he's lost 60 just from being on his glucophage. My mom is also on it and has lost 70 pounds in 2 years. It makes me feel bad that he's lost as much as me and didn't have to be banded. Oh well, I guess I should just be proud I don't have to take it it's just the idea of it and believe you me I hear it monthly that he lost weight for free and it cost me 20 grand. lol.

Hugs,

Sherri Jo

I take the same drug for my PCOS. Not only they are huge, they taste nasty. So I cut them up in 4 pieces, and eat it with some suger-free chocolate pudding. They go down very easily and you taste nothing but chocolate.< /div>

Great idea!

Hello everyone. Thanks for the replies. I went to my Lap Band office for a talk about nutrition. I asked them about the meds. She told me that my Primary care dr. can give me liquid glouphge. So, I have a call in to him. She also said that she will be surprised that if one month I am still on blood sugar meds. Thanks again for the replies.