Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble deciding between Sleeve or Bypass....why did you choose bypass?

I'm in the same predicament as you. I was set on the sleeve too, but changed my mind at the very end. I got the Bypass approved by my insurance but I've been sitting on my approval for at least a month now. I'm so torn not sure if I should continue or change to the sleeve.

I weigh 280 now and my BMI is 47~. I would love to lose 100 lbs, but with the Bypass I know I will lose more and I don't know if I want that. I think 150 is too small for me, I love my curves lol

I was worried about the curves also but the surgeon assured me everything will be fine lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I started with a bmi of 66 and opted for sleeve based on my research and testimonials from friends and family. Dumping syndrome sounds like something I never want to experience. I also know people who got bypass who still years later aren't able to eat raw veggies. I understand that everyone's experience is different but it seems that more people have issues with bypass. The other deciding factor was the lose skin situation. You lose a little slower with the sleeve so you have a better fighting chance with less lose skin. For most of us it's just unavoidable, however if there's anything I can do to circumvent it, I'm gonna!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Loose skin will be loose skin. The key is exercise and weight training to go along with the weight loss.

I started with a bmi of 66 and opted for sleeve based on my research and testimonials from friends and family. Dumping syndrome sounds like something I never want to experience. I also know people who got bypass who still years later aren't able to eat raw veggies. I understand that everyone's experience is different but it seems that more people have issues with bypass. The other deciding factor was the lose skin situation. You lose a little slower with the sleeve so you have a better fighting chance with less lose skin. For most of us it's just unavoidable, however if there's anything I can do to circumvent it, I'm gonna!

Loose skin will be loose skin. The key is exercise and weight training to go along with the weight loss.
Thats true. But slower weight loss doesn't hurt the skin situation. It was just a contributing factor in my decision.

I'm in the same predicament as you. I was set on the sleeve too, but changed my mind at the very end. I got the Bypass approved by my insurance but I've been sitting on my approval for at least a month now. I'm so torn not sure if I should continue or change to the sleeve.

I weigh 280 now and my BMI is 47~. I would love to lose 100 lbs, but with the Bypass I know I will lose more and I don't know if I want that. I think 150 is too small for me, I love my curves lol

Nyseness... I totally hear you but....you might NOT get too low, especially if deep down inside you don't want too be too small. And your BMI is close to mine, and we have a real fight ahead of us.

You have some control over when you stop losing weight, really, so why not just give yourself the best tool that's available for people with BMIs like us?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by gina171

Nyseness... I totally hear you but....you might NOT get too low, especially if deep down inside you don't want too be too small. And your BMI is close to mine, and we have a real fight ahead of us.

You have some control over when you stop losing weight, really, so why not just give yourself the best tool that's available for people with BMIs like us?

That's a good question lol I know the Bypass is the best option esp with the long term results, but the whole malabsorption really scares me :(

I'm going to attend another support group tonight with a friend of mines who did the lap-band 9 years ago. She is thinking of revising to the Bypass herself. Her surgeon said the lap-band is just like the sleeve and it's a waste of time. We go to the same medical group just see different surgeons. So I guess you guys are right each surgeon is different.

I'm choosing bypass because I'm diabetic. Endocrinologist recommended it. Didn't think my insurance would approve the bypass but they did. My surgery date is July 12. I've been attending support groups for 3 months. I'm not sure how I feel. The time is near. I guess excitement and apprehension at the same time. I'm probably most concerned about losing too much weight and looking "sickly". But this is all for my health.

That's a good question lol I know the Bypass is the best option esp with the long term results, but the whole malabsorption really scares me :(

I'm going to attend another support group tonight with a friend of mines who did the lap-band 9 years ago. She is thinking of revising to the Bypass herself. Her surgeon said the lap-band is just like the sleeve and it's a waste of time. We go to the same medical group just see different surgeons. So I guess you guys are right each surgeon is different.

I would be concerned about a surgeon who says the sleeve is just like the band and a waste of time. The theory behind the two, restriction of food intake, is the same but that's about it. There are plenty of people, me included, who are amazingly successful with the sleeve. I've lost close to 130 lbs and am 2 years post surgery. I think you need to gather all the information you can and go with the procedure that's right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would be concerned about a surgeon who says the sleeve is just like the band and a waste of time. The theory behind the two, restriction of food intake, is the same but that's about it. There are plenty of people, me included, who are amazingly successful with the sleeve. I've lost close to 130 lbs and am 2 years post surgery. I think you need to gather all the information you can and go with the procedure that's right for you.

I believe he said it based on her history. He did her lap band but recommended the Bypass. Now 9 yrs later she wants a revision so of course he is suggesting the Bypass. I think he said it with good intentions. Either way I support her and know she will do whats best for herself. Hopefully I can make the same decision and soon.

I was thinking sleeve at first because my sister had a sleeve and my mom is getting one. But I'm much heavier than they are and I believe I need more than just a restrictive procedure. My surgeon says if you are going to get weight loss surgery, then you should get the procedure that will provide the best results. In my case, that's RNY.