Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last day before beginning pre-op diet.

I am feeling nervous and a little overwhelmed. I know I am nearing my 6/3 date for my procedure. I have watched more YouTube videos than I can count. I am usually a very "open-book" type of person, but I have received some negative responses from some of my co-workers. I was shocked by some of the comments. I know I was warned about this possibility, but I still didn't think my friends would react this way. Therefore, I am limiting my openness about having this procedure for now.

I am a person who has never been rail thin. I have been of normal weight until I was in my mid-twenties. I had many medical problems at that time and rapidly gained 30lbs, then another 30, and another... Until now I am 275 lbs. I have now been obese for the last 18 years. I am tired of not being able to participate in life. I am embarrassed about my weight. I used to be the one who loved to dance and speak in front of a crowd. Now I just try to blend in--haha! Hard to do when you are the biggest person in the room. I am scared, but excited for change. I have lost at least 60 without any medical intervention at least 3 times. I cannot do better than that--old habits creep back and I give up. I am hopeful. I have many reasons to live. I feel like this will be a grieving process as well. Good-bye to the old and in with the new life.

Thanks for listening. Good luck to all!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Avettgirl - you are amongst friends here :]

My stats were very similar and you CAN do this!

Keep your WLS your business and ignore the naysayers, they have no clue.....too many of us here can vouch it works!

@@Avettgirl - you are amongst friends here :]

My stats were very similar and you CAN do this!

Keep your WLS your business and ignore the naysayers, they have no clue.....too many of us here can vouch it works!

You can do this!. I want to remind you to stay focused. It will be really hard but so worth it. I had my surgery Nov 20th and I am down approx 80 pounds. I was hard headed and I didn't take my Vitamins as required etc etc. Yes, I had (still have hair loss) and fatigue. But seeing the weight loss and getting noticed for being healthier has been exciting. Friends and coworkers probably see you as a happy healthy "normal" person and don't realize the struggle. Don't take their negative too hard. They want you to be safe. :) Follow the program so to speak, and it will be great!

@Avertgirl - Remember me?? I'm now 9 days post op.

I will be honest and say the pre op was the hardest part for me. And there were times I started to panic and question what I was putting myself through when I've "successfully" lost weight without medical intervention in the past. I got mad, sad and frustrated.

But I realized I was indeed panicking and had to remind myself compassionately of the bigger (more realistic) picture. This is temporary. You will eat again - even though the future can be uncertain - for a period of about 6 months you will be going through some especially tough stuff. But you're strong. And from almost everything I've read and seen - it's so worth it. Keep the faith. And don't let yourself be sabotaged or talked out of it because of a little initial deprivation.

Also I did not tell everyone either.

Again, you are amongst friends.

The pre-op was the hardest part in my opinion. I had a relatively easy post so maybe that's why I feel that way.

The positive side to the pre-op is getting your head in the game and therefore you are better prepared for the post-op phase, again, MY opinion.

WLS provides the tool to do the job, the tool has to be put to work, by the owner.

Some people don't realize they cannot expect to lose 100s of pounds in a couple of months without effort on their part.

Don't get on the scale everyday and don't get frustrated by comparing yourself to others - every ones journey is different. There are a multitude of factors that play into how much you lose, how fast you lose, where you lose...

Good luck Newbies!

Enjoy the ride!

Thank you so much for all the well wishes and advice!! I know I am going to need all of it. I am working on how to reply to each person. I am excited!

I do!! I am so proud of you!! We will still be close! @@newstacey

This is a good thing.....preop diet does suck but that is a few weeks out of your life! This tool can be put to work to get your life back!!!!! Don't let the naysayers influence ya!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App