Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of the gym

I think having a work out buddy wouldnt help me fail I had one a couple years ago she hated working out but I had a blast and once she quit i just kept going its the first little getting in to the grove I have a issue with i get bored alone and I would walk with my kids but the 2 younger ones just take off running and my oldest its to hard on her heart right now she is waiting on approval to have her heart fixed. Also alot of the lack of motivation at home comes from my husband who when I do work out he makes fun of me or what ever. I was telling him how I have lost 30 pounds and he was like cool tell me when you hit under 200. I was so hurt by it because i had worked hard to get under 300 he wont even try working yoga and because he does stuff like that my younger kids also have started making fun of me when i work out and it really hurts.

I DARE him to complete any yoga session demonstrated by Diamond Dallas Page, a retired pro-wrestle who says he never lifted a weight in his life. He calls it "not yo mama's yoga" You can find some of them on You Tube. The one's that I have from his website are 20-30 minutes.

I am attaching a list of my exercise video collection. DDP's Yoga, and Pilates for Wimps are the hardest of all of them - and they kick my a**.

In the summer I maintain a fitness trail in my back yard. Each landmark in the yard requires a different exercise, like push-ups off the oak tree, lifting five-pound weights at the picnic table, lunges from the back door to the rose bushes, squats at the garden shed, all with a couple of laps in-between. A half-hour in the back yard is a full work-out with some Vitamin D sunshine. Who needs a gym?

MISS MAC'S Exercise Video Collection.docx

re: yoga - it depends on the style. There are some athletic styles that can really kick your butt. I tend to go for the gentler styles, which may not be the greatest workout ever, but they're very effective for my stress level, which keeps me from eating!

Oh! I forgot to mention that last night I was watching United Shades of America on CNN and they were doing a show on San Quentin State Prison and the inmates there were learning yoga! If I bunch of big, burly guys on death row are doing yoga, you can bet it is a real workout!

@@sweetdarling1983 I'm sorry to sound like a jerk but your husband needs a kick in the b@$%s! Tell him that his teenage-like "teasing" is hurtful and degrading. He's teaching your children to be disrespectful of you and to have an unhealthy attitude towards weight in general. You don't have to tolerate this behavior from him. As long as you feel safe - tell him how hurtful his comments are. Putting you down is not going to encourage you to lose weight and be healthy. Stay strong!

Being a mom with 7 kids, I totally understand the home situation you are dealing with. When I first started exercising, I couldn't do much and my husband was a bit of an @ss about it too saying stretching and leg lifts weren't real exercise but a warm up to start exercising. Anyway, he gave no support and wouldn't watch kids so I could exercise so I started using them in my exercises. My toddler for instance makes a great bench press. LOL I bought a dance dance revolution game mat and challenge my kids to a dance off. It doesn't matter if the 3 yr old just rocks back and forth the whole time and never hits a single arrow, but they feel included and also stay out from under foot. Then(as long as you are in the northern hemisphere) spring is hitting us and there's beautiful days for taking long walks or strolls with the younger ones and just chasing them around at the park. It counts because your body is in motion. It doesn't matter if it's pretending to walk(treadmill) or an actual walk. If anything actually walking is more fun and motivating than pretend walking. Don't let his lack of caring or understanding become your roadblock to success.

I'm a gym rat...have been for years.

And I can tell you that true gym people admire those who show up obviously out of shape yet committing themselves in spite of any perceived barriers.

So people are not judging!!

We really are not. We are rooting for one another.

@@sweetdarling1983, some of the others have already said that other people in the gym aren't watching you/us and that the most serious about working out and fitness admire newcomers of all shapes and sizes. It's true. Another thing to keep in mind is that the fear (I think it's safe for me to say this next) is more about general insecurity than your/my/anyone else's actual weight.

Long ago, having been at my then-highest, 206 lbs, I dieted to 170, but still felt like a cow. I went out to Boulder -- outside Mount Olympus, perhaps the place with the greatest number of U.S. Olympians in residence -- to visit an athletic friend. I met her friends, who included the men's U.S. half-marathon record holder, a couple of Olympic athletes, ultra-marathoners, an Ironman finisher. I caught the fever and bought my first (and, it turned out, only) running shoes at Frank Shorter's shop. To my horror, my friend told them all about my purchase. From each I received the most generous, encouraging, sincere responses. People who love what they do love to share it with the newcomers. I fell down way back, but recall with gratitude and relief that generosity.

You can do this. Countless people have had your fear and discovered that it was unfounded. You'll be so absorbed with your own form and progress at the gym that you won't notice no one else noticing you, at least not in a judgmental way.

P.S. If you want to "confess" anything else, I hope it will be juicier than the above.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@sweetdarling1983, some of the others have already said that other people in the gym aren't watching you/us and that the most serious about working out and fitness admire newcomers of all shapes and sizes. It's true. Another thing to keep in mind is that (I think it's safe for me to say this next) is about general insecurity than your/my/anyone else's actual weight.

Long ago, having been at my then-highest, 206 lbs, I dieted to 170, but still felt like a cow. I went out to Boulder -- outside Mount Olympus, perhaps the place with the greatest number of U.S. Olympians in residence -- to visit an athletic friend. I met her friends, who included the men's U.S. half-marathon record holder, a couple of Olympic athletes, ultra-marathoners, an Ironman finisher. I caught the fever and bought my first (and, it turned out, only) running shoes at Frank Shorter's shop. To my horror, my friend told them all about my purchase. From each I received the most generous, encouraging, sincere responses. People who love what they do love to share it with the newcomers. I fell down way back, but recall with gratitude and relief that generosity.

You can do this. Countless people have had your fear and discovered that it was unfounded. You'll be so absorbed with your own form and progress at the gym that you won't notice that no one else noticing you, at least not in a judgmental way.

P.S. If you want to "confess" anything else, I hope it will be juicier than the above.

That is a great story and it rings true with all my experience. If people notice you at all, it is usually because they are really supporting you. It's like this "tribe" here in WLS land. It's a highly supportive community.

If it is chasing the kids at the park its still exercise. Get a badminton set, play kick ball, tag, hide & seek - put the smaller kids in a wagon and pull them (then they aren't running off).

Just don't reward yourself with food after "playing".

Also alot of the lack of motivation at home comes from my husband who when I do work out he makes fun of me or what ever. I was telling him how I have lost 30 pounds and he was like cool tell me when you hit under 200. I was so hurt by it because i had worked hard to get under 300 he wont even try working yoga and because he does stuff like that my younger kids also have started making fun of me when i work out and it really hurts.

You need to sit your husband down and have a serious talk with him about teasing and bullying. He needs to know in no uncertain terms that this is NOT OK and you won't tolerate it.

Then the two of you need to sit down with your kids and explain why teasing and bullying is NEVER OK and that talking this way about anyone, under any circumstances, is not tolerated. Period. Especially kids making fun of parents. Never. Ever. Respect for one another is essential. It is never too early to start teaching and modeling this for your kids.

There are consequences for kids when they start this kind of thing at home and then take it to school or out in public. As a society, we've all but forgotten our manners, which start from the notion that the people that we live with and the people we live alongside deserve respect simply because they're fellow human beings.

Getting off soapbox now...

@@sweetdarling1983,

Don’t be scared of the gym! Everyone is at the gym for themselves – to get healthy, to be fit, to reduce stress, to lose weight…they’re not there to worry about other people. Everyone who goes to the gym knows how hard it is to get there and the commitment it takes. They respect each other for being at the gym, and they will respect you.

@@B-52 is absolutely right. If they even notice you at all, the gym regulars will appreciate your efforts.

And if you’re not sure whether people at the gym are nice or not, just nod and smile at them as you pass by. You’ll be encouraged that they’ll return the smile, and you’ll feel more welcome.

If you don’t know where to start, walking on the treadmill or cycling can be a good place. There are tons of ways to get ideas. Asking a trainer is best, if you can afford one. Most gyms have policies that include staff who can show you how to use the cardio and weight equipment – just ask the front desk. Go with a friend who can show you some exercises. Check out the internet for ideas.

Take a group fitness class so you can learn new techniques and have fun. Don’t worry – you can always go at your own speed so you don’t push yourself too much. If you’re self-conscious, just stand at the back of the room.

I just started up at the gym and was dreading going. I was sure people would be staring at me as I am so out of shape and poor cardio. I have been doing the treadmill and am so focused on my audio book I barely notice anyone around me. I started with a personal trainer and there are these guys and 1 girl who always seem to be doing powerlifting right in front of where I have my training. Doesn't matter the day or time they are always there. Now they smile at me and when I do something particularly challenging they smile and nod at me. It's a nice feeling. The other day my trainer had me push a 50lb sleigh with an additional 50 pounds up the pathway and back 6 times. And I about passed out it was so challenging and the powerlifting crew actually cheered when I finished it. Kind of embarrassing , but kind of cool too.

So bottom line, just bite the bullet and go, start slow and feel good that you are starting a positive habit In your life!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by goplay94123

Because of my starting size, I started with Water aerobics and Water zumba classes. Me...in a bathing suit...Sweet Jesus give me strength...Here is what I did. I put on the trunks, took off my shirt, and presented myself to the world as I was then, a very big guy working towards better overall health. I think a class setting, at least at first, is important. It starts at a specific time, you can't wiggle and think you'll just go to the gym later in the day. There is accountability, if I missed a class or two, people would ask where I had been. People notice your progress and tell you, positive attention! I started in the pool at the 3 month mark- no sooner to let the incisions heal. At six months the surgeon said "Out of the pool!" Now I do land aerobics/zumba, and weights. I just did a 5 K May 1st. I didn't come in last either. Even if I had come in last, the fact that I was in a RACE was amazing! Just a few things that have worked for me. Good luck.

Being a mom with 7 kids, I totally understand the home situation you are dealing with. When I first started exercising, I couldn't do much and my husband was a bit of an @ss about it too saying stretching and leg lifts weren't real exercise but a warm up to start exercising. Anyway, he gave no support and wouldn't watch kids so I could exercise so I started using them in my exercises. My toddler for instance makes a great bench press. LOL I bought a dance dance revolution game mat and challenge my kids to a dance off. It doesn't matter if the 3 yr old just rocks back and forth the whole time and never hits a single arrow, but they feel included and also stay out from under foot. Then(as long as you are in the northern hemisphere) spring is hitting us and there's beautiful days for taking long walks or strolls with the younger ones and just chasing them around at the park. It counts because your body is in motion. It doesn't matter if it's pretending to walk(treadmill) or an actual walk. If anything actually walking is more fun and motivating than pretend walking. Don't let his lack of caring or understanding become your roadblock to success.

Very creative... taking lemons to make limoncello... good for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App