Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those six months after band surgery

I had surgery six months ago or longer and...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. I had surgery six months ago or longer and...

• My hair is great, no hair loss at all
    • I've lost close to 25% of my hair
    • I've lost close to 50% of my hair
    • I've lost close to 75% of my hair
    • It's ALL gone, not a hair on my head
    • I was bald before surgery

I don't think there is a lot more you can do than what you are currently doing. I take Flinstones w/Iron x6 daily, Protein is at 60gms daily, and a Calcium supplement. I was doing another product (xango or something like that) and did not notice a difference.

Just hang in there, you are doing everything you can.

From what the Dr. said, and different posts on here, it seems to be more of a body shock/stress reaction than any type of Vitamin deficiency. My Dr. told me that none of the tests he has ran has ever shown a deficiency in the levels that would cause serious hair loss, although he has no choice but to believe it happens, he has seen too much of it!

Meanwhile, taking our Vitamins and keeping our nutrition up can do nothing but help. It is my understanding that you CAN overdo it on some Vitamins though, so we should not exceed the RDA. Some of them you simply pee out, others can build to toxicity.

WABB---has your Dr. recommended 6 Flinstones a day? Mine said 2--and I do them--my Granddaughter and I are actually sharing Dora the Explorer vitamins right now----they are Centrum I believe for kids! and me!

btw...thanks on the weight loss kudos! I was so happy I danced nekkid in the kitchen!!!!

It just confuses the hell outta me how every Dr. recommends something different, and then we are supposed to have full faith in them......

Kat

WABB---has your Dr. recommended 6 Flinstones a day? Mine said 2--and I do them--my Granddaughter and I are actually sharing Dora the Explorer Vitamins right now----they are Centrum I believe for kids! and me!

btw...thanks on the weight loss kudos! I was so happy I danced nekkid in the kitchen!!!!

Yes and no. He didn't suggest it but when I told him what I was doing he had no problem with it. I think the reason is that children's Vitamins are much lower in dose than adult. Also, the bioavailability of Vitamin tablets is quite low. For some vitamins it is as low as 5%. For others it is a little more. I'm pretty sure that is why he has no problem with it.

wow this is overwhelming, i havent been banded yet but reading this site scares me. my hair is pretty thin right now. i used to have average thickness before i has my son but after i had him and started taking different depression pills i started loosing alot of hair, now my hair is half as thick. i will die if i lose anymore. how do you deal with such a change?

andrea

wow this is overwhelming, i havent been banded yet but reading this site scares me. my hair is pretty thin right now. i used to have average thickness before i has my son but after i had him and started taking different depression pills i started loosing alot of hair, now my hair is half as thick. i will die if i lose anymore. how do you deal with such a change?

andrea

It's a whole lot better than being fat!

I am so sick of it . I just wish I had a real answer as to what causes it.

My hair fell out when my husband died suddenly, so maybe it is caused

from stress. I don't feel stressed, but I am sure my body felt stressed

when I was on a liquid diet for 4 weeks. I am sure nobody can tell that

I have lost half of my hair, because I have thick hair. I know my pony

tail is half the size it used to be though.

My friend had surgery in May, so I am waiting to see if her falls out next month. Then I will know it's actually from anesthesia.

I wrote this in another post but I'm going to write it here too.

I finally took the plunge and cut my hair. It's shoulder length now and my Hair loss has come to a dead stop. Not sure why that is but I don't care. It's stopped.

Now waiting for regrowth...

ok i am having my band done is october! i have heard a ton of people talk about hair loss! i have very thick and tons of hair always been my best asset lol! why is there Hair loss is it due to the anestetic spelling however its spelled or is it the actual procedure? any ideas how to prevent it someone said taking Biotin any other ideas im very scared about that!:help:

Nobody seems to know why it falls out. I get tons of Proteins and take all kinds of Vitamins and Biotin and everything they told me to take to prevent it.

My doctor said for those who are going to lose their hair, it starts at about

4 months after surgery (thats when mine started) and stops at 9 months after surgery. I will let everyone know as soon as mine stops. I hope it stops at 9 months because I am almost there.

I will be banded on 11/20. I pray I don't lose any hair. I asked my surgeon about it and he said only a few of his patients have complained about Hair loss.

My doctor doesn't require a liquid diet before surgery and we are only on liquids for 2 days after surgery. How many of you with hair loss was on a liquid diet for several weeks? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. It is just a thought.

I have very thin hair now so if I lose any I will be in a wig. Of course, I would rather be thin in a wig than fat.

I wonder if this is a function of how much weight is lost as well- I lost almost 20 lbs the first month and another 60+ since then; add in surgery and I've lost 25% of my hair and continue to have above average rates of Hair loss (for me). I don't see that it's slowing down yet. I took Biotin daily for 6 weeks- no difference in hair loss so I stopped the supplement

I'm 6 months out and am losing hair by the brush fulls! hair everywhere on my floors, down my drains, in my car, in my office, etc. I notice my hair thinning and my part is a little wider - also notice more of a part towards the back of my head and my bangs are thinner...yep, it stresses me out, but so does being fat! I can live with the hairloss as long as it's temporary.

I've been losing it for about 2 months, and sometimes it seems like it's slowing down, then WHAMO! I have a handful again...

My Protein averages about 70g a day, I'm taking extra Biotin, drinking plenty of Water...nothing has helped.