Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a limit on protein?

Yes, you can have more - but in reality, especially in the first month or so postop, you'd be surprised what a challenge that can be.

I'm nearly five weeks out, and I got a whopping 66 grams in today. My sleeve is a diva, and it hasn't been easy to get it all in. My big milestone tonight is I was able to get in 2.5 oz of fish in at dinner. And that's all I got in for dinner.

I'm 2 weeks post op and my surgeon still has me on my pre op diet( clear liquids/protein shakes).I can do 5(30g of Protein each) a day no problem. but I have slowed down because I wasn't sure if this was okay.can to much Protein slow weight loss?

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by elaina831

I have been doing some reading in the scientific and medical literature, and so far I don't find much agreement on exactly how much Protein is safe or optimal. But, it's safe to say that the 60-80 grams per day that I was advised by my surgical team's literature is on the conservative side, i.e. the low side, and 100 grams per day for me at 250lb would be safe and perhaps better.

I'm 2 weeks post op and my surgeon still has me on my pre op diet( clear liquids/protein shakes).I can do 5(30g of Protein each) a day no problem. but I have slowed down because I wasn't sure if this was okay.can to much Protein slow weight loss?

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

That sounds like too many Protein shakes for both the protein content and calories. I would speak to your NUT about what your daily intake should be. Too much protein can cause kidney issues so be sure to find out what your Surgeon/NUT recommend.

I get in 65-90 grams of Protein a day in. Everything I put in my mouth is HIGH in protein

Edited by Lisa_85

I get in 65-90 grams of Protein a day in. Everything I put in my mouth is HIGH in Protein

Me too..I'm 8 days post SIPS and runny Beans and protein shakes is what I live off of... for now. I'm not hungry and feel satiated. Down 9 lbs too..yippee.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I think that there is an upper limit, but doubt very seriously that any of us right after surgery could approach that limit. For me it is better to overshoot my target than to undershoot it. My Protein target is 100 grams a day.

My nut said for women optimal amount of Protein is 50-60 grams a day. I normally shoot for 70 a day and she was ok with that. Just be careful to not over do the protein because too much can overwork your kidneys and cause strain there. You will find every dr or NUT will have varying views and recommendations.

Your weight X .003= Protein grams. It depends on your age and fitness level too. You can get too much protein. I've seen posts where people say they are eating 100 to 120 g of protein a day. That can cause problems too. For a woman, who lightly exercises, which I assume is most of us, 40-60 g is good. ????

Edited by TJBintheOC