Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling truck driver post op

I recently got sleeved on March 28th and currently struggling with food options. I want to be successful on this journey but today is my first day back at work and I feel down!

I drive over the road and go home rarely. My only options for food are at truck stops and service plazas. These places offer only fast food options like McDonald's, Popeyes, Arby's, Subway and many other no good options...

Does any one have any advice?

Today I purchased a fruit cup and have been eating it through out the day but I know it's not a good option either because I am not getting the Protein or nutrients I need.

Maybe the best thing to do wpuld be keep a cooler with you with shakes and yogurts and stuff a long with Protein powders. I am work at a factoring company where we do the receivables for truckers. We purchase their loads once done so they get paid immediately instead of having to wait. I actually have two truckers as clients who have had WLS surgery and both keep coolers in their trucks full of shakes cottage cheese and so on. One even has a case of Beans at all times. They have done really well. Hoping that helps a little

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

When my auntie was a long-haul trucker she installed a mini-fridge and microwave in her sleeper to help cut down on costs. Is something like that possible? If not, a good cooler might be your best bet. Figure out what types of shelf-stable foods are good for you (hello canned tuna!)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree. In addition to Protein shakes, cottage cheese, and yogurt you could pack tuna packets, turkey, etc.

If you must eat at fast food restaurants, go for lean Proteins like turkey, tuna, chicken, egg, etc. You can get turkey sandwiches or similar, without bread at Arby's, Subway, etc.

Wendy's chili is a great choice. You can get chicken or eggs at McDonald's.

Once you are cleared for more solid foods you will have more options.

Can't stop off at a Walmart that has a grocery? They are usually near freeways, HUGE parking lots where you can park a semi or large truck for a few minutes - just park it a bit away and get some walking in to boot. Check out the deli counter and surrounding area where you could get meats, chicken salad, or Soups. There is also lots of small containers of yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese sticks...

Any IHOP, Cracker Barrel, or Denny's restaurant can do up some scrambled eggs with cheese (and later sausage/bacon). I ate that for Breakfast and lunch. And most of those places serve Soups too.

And definitely pack a cooler or fridge installed if you'd like to save money or time. Love the idea of getting a small one that runs off of the truck's electrical.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

I would definitely suggest the pouches of tuna and salmon. They have some great flavors, no refrigeration required and no can opener needed! Most of the ones I've tried have about 13-15 grams of Protein per 2.6 oz pouch.

Keep some bottled Water with you and maybe the Syntrax nectar Protein powder - fruity flavors that go well dissolved in Water?

And the cooler sounds like a great idea for keeping some cottage cheese and greek yogurt, maybe some laughing cow cheese wedges etc.

you've been given some good ideas here! I know it is a challenge. I never know if I am going to be 'allowed' to leave work on time to eat - so I tend to pack two meals and two Snacks just in case. so, since I eat my egg on my way to work I leave the house with the whole day's food. not quite the same, but enough to sympathize.

Starbucks has a Protein box with a hard boiled egg, cheese, and Peanut Butter in it, Protein shakes, and an awesome Zesty chicken salad. I also get the oatmeal and add unflavored Protein to it. McDonalds you could do an egg mcmuffin. I usually take off the top piece. I always have 2 Protein Bars in purse in case I can't get something. But I think a insulated lunch bag or cooler is your best bet since this will be an every day thing. I got this one as it has an ice pack. Containers for smaller meals, and a shaker

http://www.amazon.com/FitPak-Portion-Control-Container-Reusable/dp/B00NSM088G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o01_s00

@@LadiiReignBeau

When you are a little further out and your plan allows it, you can get the low carb burger at Hardees and you can order bun free at 5 Guys. They will give you anything with no bun or muffin at Mcdonalds. You can always order grilled chicken no bun, chicken salads and just eat the chicken. Get an egg mcmuffin no muffin. There are lots of options, you can order how you want at fast food. Chik fil a girlled nuggets

I think the cooler suggestions are all great. You can also get a rotisserie chicken from Walmart and keep it in a cooler.

There are lots of options, you just have to think outside the box a little.

If you're wanting something warm or savory like a soup/stew you could always use one of the small size crockpots. I'm sure you could find a power converter to plug in your truck for when you're on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I also am a OTR Driver had my sleeve March 8 I'm about 6 weeks out I drink premier Protein shakes from Walmart in the morning an before I go to bed at night there 30 grams Protein I get my food at Walmart . An the pilot an fly j both have Soup . An in the morning they have oatmeal. TA an Petro will make u eggs or what u want girl were there is a will there is away lol

But yes it is hard to get the liquid down because the more u drink the more u have to stop an u an I both no there's not a lot of time for that out here. If u need to talk just text me.

Subway you can get just chicken, tuna and ask them to put it in a bowl you don't have to get it with bread. Some truck stops have the Wendy's or mc d's ask for the grilled chicken no bun. All truck stops sell Soup, just watch the sodium and drink lots of Water. Stop at a Walmart or before u leave home stock up on Protein drinks, fruits, yogurts (if u have a fridge). Until u get in the groove of the lifestyle u will feel numbed because eating fast food was so much more convenient but remember that is what got you here. Good luck!!!

On 4/12/2016 at 9:31 PM, LadiiReignBeau said:

I am also a dri

I recently got sleeved on March 28th and currently struggling with food options. I want to be successful on this journey but today is my first day back at work and I feel down!

I drive over the road and go home rarely. My only options for food are at truck stops and service plazas. These places offer only fast food options like McDonald's, Popeyes, Arby's, Subway and many other no good options...

Does any one have any advice?

Today I purchased a fruit cup and have been eating it through out the day but I know it's not a good option either because I am not getting the Protein or nutrients I need.

I am also a semi driver on the road. I buy groceries from instacart and have them delivered to my truck. I've even had them delivered at a rest area. I keep Premier Protein in my truck and I have a refrigerator for the rest. I'd buy some Gatorade with Protein to keep in the truck doesn't have to be refrigerated neither does the premier protein. Get yourself some canned tuna and canned chicken for protein and that doesn't have to be refrigerated. Also Loves truck stops has a cup of boiled eggs in their deli area.

Edited by Letty1776
Typos