Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the signs of a stretched pouch? Are there anyone out there feel like their pouch is stretched and if so how many weeks or months out?

I had an egd done about 2 1/2 years after my sleeve and was told it was stretched. I suspect it stretched about a year post op as that's when I stopped losing weight and noticed I could eat more than before. I just had a revision to mini bypass and I'm now 5 days post op. After my sleeve stretched I had acid reflux and never could lose any more and then I gained about 30 pounds.

Around 3 or so years post op, I felt like I could eat alot more. However, I felt "restriction" again when I returned to basics/following bariatric diet. I don't know what to make of it, but if I over-eat consistently, I can eat alot. If I don't - I find dense Protein really does fill me/satiate me quickly. i have a skinny mini girlfriend who did NOT have WLS and she says the same is true of her... hmmm

I also find that if I stay REALLY well hydrated, I seem to have more feeling of restriction.

It's pretty mysterious to me, but I do intend to ask my bariatric practice next time i am in the office. i am 4 years 4 months post op and maintaining around my goal weight. i don't have reflux so have no reason to believe I have a problem.

I will be 5 years out in June and my sleeve is still viable and has not stretched.

Sure I can eat more than just post op, but I believe that after the healing process is complete ( about 6-8months out), one's sleeve is the size it is going to be. After that it is truly up to teamwork between mind and sleeve.

Around 7 months I noticed that I could eat a lot more. That's when it truly becomes a "tool" that you have to work. You still have to track your food and calories to make sure that you don't overeat. The goal is not to eat 2-4 tablespoons for life, but to learn how to eat the right foods to fuel your body and to stop eating when you've had enough. I find that people struggle to lose when they adopt the mindset that they can eat whatever they want because the portions are small, but when your stomach has healed, that simply doesn't apply. Once you're able to eat more, your food choices make a huge difference.

So I don't consider it stretched, as much as I consider that it's now the size that it's supposed to be and I have to do the work to eat the right foods and not overeat.

After 6 or 7 months post op all the swelling has gone down so you can eat a little more but that doesn't mean it stretched. With the sleeve they remove the elastic part of the stomach so it can't stretch

I have read so many articles and talked to several Bariatric doctors who continue to tell me that my pouch will not stretch however your brain somehow adapts allowing you to consume more. At about the one year mark I noticed depending on what I choose to eat, I can eat 1 cup of food max.

I am now 19 months post op and I still have that same restriction. I can eat 2 to 3 ounces of dense Protein and a bite or two of veggies/fruits and I am almost overly full. However if I eat a bowl of cream of wheat, I can eat almost a full serving.

I believe what I have researched, that we adapt, our brains do that. Our stomachs don't stretch.

Incidentally I have also learned that I can over indulge in things like Cheezeits! I do eat them but if not careful I can mindlessly nibble way over a portion! I know this because I gained 2 lbs eating the wrong stuff for about 2 weeks. Boy was I pissed at myself.

I got back on track and within 1 week I lost those 2lbs eating the right foods and never feeling hungry.

Also, I noticed when I was eating too many carbs those 2 weeks I had several episodes of hypoglycemia! It came on so very quickly that it was scary. It became a vicious cycle. Eat too many bad carbs your body will crave it.

So now that I know what not to do, I think I will stick to the plan and if I want Cheezeits, I will measure out one serving and watch my carbs the rest of the day!

Cheezits = classic Slider food!!!

I guess I could eat a whole bag of cheetos if I didn't stop myself...

Crunchy Cheetos! Keep away!!! Keep away!!! :)

Yes! There's something about cheetos! I have fallen "victim" to them a couple times, lol!

I love how people say the sleeve doesn't stretch but I have a written report from a weight loss surgeon who did my EGD that clearly says my sleeve was stretched on the top and the bottom and needed a revision surgery. Just because yours hasn't stretched doesn't mean someone else's didn't. Every sleeve is different and not every surgery was done the exact same way.

One person said sleeves don't stretch ( I agree with you that isn't a true statement) others shared their own experiences.

If they didn't remove all the fundus, that definitely stretches and others have reported this experience. I definitely have more capacity but I do not know if it is stretched.

I love how people say the sleeve doesn't stretch but I have a written report from a weight loss surgeon who did my EGD that clearly says my sleeve was stretched on the top and the bottom and needed a revision surgery. Just because yours hasn't stretched doesn't mean someone else's didn't. Every sleeve is different and not every surgery was done the exact same way.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I am 18 months post op and am so depressed because I am not loosing. I don't have any energy I have no will to do any of my exercises I am taking my Vitamins and B12

I am traveling every week for work, which then I start falling back into bad habits-even though I am conscious of it...arrgghhh

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The part that stretches is supposed to be removed so if it's done correctly it won't stretch