Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge Eating

Someone asked a question re getting help from a therapist for bindge eating and I couldn't reply individually so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in again. In "You on a Diet" by Dr. Oz he

suggests that everyone who is overweight go on Wellbutrim...it's a

mild antidepressant that has a side effect of controlling smoking as well

as binge eating. I went off it after I made the decision for lap band

surgery and boom my binging started up again full force, but I had

stupidly been on Atkins for 6 weeks and fell off as well. I'm going back

on Wellbutrim and will stay on even after banding.

I was on wellbutrin for a year for depression and anxiety, and it didn't help me with weight loss. It also didn't make me gain weight like some of those types of medications can...

I was on Wellbutrin to stop smoking. While it worked very well for that I couldn't deal with the side effects. I swore I'd never sleep again, I felt like I was ODing on ephedrine, and it was horrible. But, not everyone has those side effects.

I couldn't stand it anymore so I quit taking it.

Dear BB: This is a late reply and I appologize...I was just wondering how many mgs of Wellbutrin did your doc prescribe to you for smokiing cessation? I felt like it worked really well for the first week or so and now I feel it's too mild and I had no side effects on 150 mg 2x a day. How are you doing by the way on the "lap band journey"?

Dear BB: This is a late reply and I appologize...I was just wondering how many mgs of Wellbutrin did your doc prescribe to you for smokiing cessation? I felt like it worked really well for the first week or so and now I feel it's too mild and I had no side effects on 150 mg 2x a day. How are you doing by the way on the "lap band journey"?

It *has* to be the 150mg SR twice daily.

This is going to sound weird and I don't know why it is true but it is. There are three types of Wellbutrin, short acting, the 12 hour timed release (SR), and the extended release (XR). It MUST be the 150mg SR type. The dose for smoking is to take one tablet daily for 4 days then increase to one tablet twice daily and quit smoking within 7-10 days or something like that.

If you take 1-300mg ER tablet it will not work. If you take 100mg of the short acting three times daily it won't work. It has to be the 150mg SR.

I have NO clue why that is.

I was taking 100mg of the short acting three times daily and losing ALL effect and I couldn't figure out why. Talked to the hospital RPh and he explained that it has to be the 150mg SR for smoking. He started to explain why but I didn't have time and had to run so I never got the explanation. Regardless, I went back to the 150SR twice daily and it worked like a charm. However, the side effects were so bad I just couldn't stand it, quit the drug, and started smoking again. :blush:

It's not a good idea to go higher than you are of 300mg SR daily. The higher the dose the more risk for seizures.

Dear BB: Thanks for the info on Wellbutrin ..I do remember reading this. Lately I've been forgetting to take it in the evening anyway. The heat of summer always does something to my brain and I can't wait for fall.

Wow, I saw your stats and you have some great weight loss!! You must feel like a million bucks losing all that weight. Good for you...

I take the 150 extended release for depression and anxiety and, for me, it's a wonder drug. I do have mild sleep issues with it, but I actually like them. I wake up a lot earlier (sometimes with my mind racing, which isn't so fun) and just generally require about 90 minutes less sleep than without it, and without feeling tired. It doesn't cut my depression in exactly the same way as zoloft did, but the side effects of the wellbutrin work better with my body and lifestyle. I think I'll actually stay on this one, as opposed to zoloft where the side effects got me every time.

JulieNYC -

What differences in side effects did you find between Zoloft and Wellbutrin? I've been on Zoloft for about 6-7 years and I literally cannot function properly without it, but I'm wondering if it's having a negative effect on my weight loss. Any ideas?

Jodie

Jodie,

My zoloft side effects are the normal ones -- i.e. complete desecration of my libido! It works wonders for my depression -- I respond to it super quickly, so in the past, I've waited until I'm entering a depressive cycle, then take it for a few months, then when I'm feeling better, go off it. But, this isn't really the recommended approach. Plus, it's no fun to go through the cycle of depression that leads to wanting the meds (I usually don't realize I want them until I start having suicidal thoughts). So, my psych really wanted me to try something different to see if we could find something I'd stay on long term. So far, the Wellbutrin is a strong candidate. I don't feel the same as I do on zoloft. It's hard to describe. It's like, if zoloft kept me (think vertically) from falling in a hole by making sure I couldn't fall down emotionaly, wellbutrin knocks me sideways, away from the hole, instead of up. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense. I feel more "me" on the wellbutrin, except that I have a ton of energy, require less sleep and just feel like I'm on a slight caffeine buzz all the time.

I was given Lexapro shortly after my sister passed away and it was really amazing how well it worked on my depression. So much so that I was embarrassed that I seemed so happy when I should have been looking more down so soon after her death. Not a manic happy or anything like that just a really content relaxed jolly happy and speaking of jolly that's what I was becoming. I was never anxious so I fogot I need to go to the gym a lot and I started eating much more. Needless to say I packed on 15 lbs. Too bad because I felt great on them. I switched to Wellbutrin after reading about the weight loss possibilities (but later learned only in high doses) and have not had any side effects but it doesn't work as well on my blues and Lexzapro did.