Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Morning Rosie!

So some initial thoughts (and this is just from personal experience) -

Firstly, I think you probably need to eat more, more often. At the moment I try to eat five times a day, which looks like this:

Breakfast: Protein Shake (gross)

Lunch: 50g smoked salmon with 30g avocado and some roasted veggies

Snack: nature valley Protein Bar (chocolate and nut- tastes like a snickers..) and a Babybel

Dinner: fish pie or a fake pizza made with a tortilla wrap and some Passata, prawns and cheese.< /p>

Snack: (usually to get my calories up) Babybel and a couple of Jaffa cakes or a hobnob.

I think the Protein Bars are a great idea, but maybe try one as an afternoon snack in addition to your normal food?

My other half also suggests things like cashews, Protein weetabix with Skyr yoghurt (I prefer it with milk- he's weird).

It also looks like there isn't a lot of fibre going on, and things like nuts and weetabix or even some whole grain crackers (in moderation with cheese) in the evening could help.

Also, if you're having creme fraiche then you could try swapping it out for some Greek yoghurt (which from memory has a better protein ratio) and substituting half your strawberries for 50g of a sugar free muesli or granola as it would give you a bit of protein, fibre and sugar to start the day?

You could also try the old Slimming World favourite of overnight oats with yoghurt, oats and strawberries for a quick Breakfast on the go?

I also find that nut butters (either almond or peanut) are good for calories and protein.

Let me know if any of this is wide of the mark, as I said, it's just my experience!

Keep on keeping on- it's going to get better!

MB

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for that, I'll certainly take it on board.

Goodness, I never thought I'd see the day when I'm told I'm not eating enough!!!

I went to H&B yesterday and bought some Quest Protein bars which have 21g of protein in but are low in sugars etc.

I'll get some greek youghurt, Babybels and nuts as I like that but I don't like things like granola, meusli, Weetabix or Peanut Butter and that Skyr yoghurt made me feel sick.

I'm Glaswegian, if it's not dipped in Irn Bru and deep fried, I don't like it :)

It's bizarre, pretty much my whole life I've been on low fat diets, and trying to get enough Protein in sometimes requires that I ignore the little voice shouting about high fat (Babybels and pretty much every other cheese for example!)

I hear the Quest bars are meant to be amazing, haven't made it to a H&B to find out yet though!

Another good snack for protein are those "complete cookies" - although again- haven't tried them yet, so can't confirm!

I did a big order from Muscle food as well, which means that we now have high protein waffles (awful awful awful) pancakes (not as awful) lavash bread (really nice) and tortillas (also good) along with a bunch of meat for the other half. It was pretty cost effective and they have a good range of snacky high protein stuff (just don't be fooled by the high protein Nutella like I was- that stuff is possibly the worst thing Ive eaten so far!)

You could also try things like chicken or turkey sausages or maybe even something like Jerky or high meat content hot dogs as a snack?

I am digging the Quorn cocktail sausages at the moment, even my carnivorous other half thinks they are delicious!

H&B are extortionate, I'm just online now ordering some more Quest bars at half the price.

I'm going to clear out my fridge and then pop off to Waitrose and refuel.

How many calories a day should I aim for? At the moment it's between 500 - 700?

On an average day I'm on 900 a day, although I am 175cm (so pretty tall for a lady) and my weight is currently 113kg and I'm pretty inactive. Overall, I think it's pretty personal, but if the calories aren't working for you, then I'd try upping them and see what happens?

I'll convert all that info, I still work in old money ;)

I love crackers and cheese so I've bought some multigrain and some high fibre ones, I'll give these go for Snacks (moderation of course) and see how it goes.

Edited by RosieCheeks

Day 2 in the Big Brother House and I am reaching my Protein goals easily now with the added protein bar, diet tweaking and calorie increase so fingers crossed for a result n the 19th. I've bought one of those Tefal Opti-grills so it makes life much easier. There are more gadgets in my kitchen that there is in John Lewis, it's ridiculous but I do love them all.

I'm very grateful to you @@VSGMB and will keep you posted.

Hey no worries- keep going and I'm crossing my fingers for an amazing result for you later in the month!

Currently sitting at my first corporate function since surgery- wine and a three course meal- it's a real test! I don't want to eat anything really, but I'm conscious that if I don't it will look pretty weird!

Hey no worries- keep going and I'm crossing my fingers for an amazing result for you later in the month!

Currently sitting at my first corporate function since surgery- wine and a three course meal- it's a real test! I don't want to eat anything really, but I'm conscious that if I don't it will look pretty weird!

Enjoy!

Edited by RosieCheeks

"RosieCheeks" I just saw these and thought of you- http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=282694777&sc_cmp=aff*nt*gmo*HotUKDeals_1018132&utm_medium=gmo&utm_source=tradedoubler&utm_campaign=aff*HotUKDeals_1018132

(In case the link doesn't work- IrnBru ice lollies on special at tesco- £1.24 for three)

Whilst they aren't full of Protein, they could be a great treat for you with none of the carbonated issues!

OMG! I have never seen those.

I'm off to Tesco, where I never shop, hope no-one sees me!

Thank you, if you were here I'd kiss you x

I've just googled and been reading about them and definitely going to get some but it'll be weird as I have a 'wooden stick' phobia - I know, I'm an oddball but I just can't touch wood if it's not painted. I'll have to buy some, put on some rubber gloves then cut them off their sticks. There are no lengths I wont go to for my Irn Bru fix.

Glad I could help- plus if you're taking them off the stick then you can have a half at a time and pop the rest back in the freezer!

Finally back from my conference and need to get back on the Protein wagon- been lacking this last week or so and it shows!

Well, from "Two weeks to go" to "Three Months Post-Op today". The difference three months make.

Three months exactly since I was sitting in a clinic in Prague thinking "well I've done it now so might as well go along for the ride' . Whilst I don't have any regrets, it's completely different to expectations and it's certainly not the 'magic wand' I secretly thought it would be. I'm 37lbs down, which personally I think is disappointing. Maybe due to lack of exercise. Still haven't lost enough for my breathing to improve sufficiently to enable me to do more but I am making a big effort in walking.

I am enjoying my new diet and not really missing the junk I used to cram down my neck. I've discovered I love strawberries and can get sugar hit from them. I'm cooking a lot more fresh meats, steaks, lamb chops etc which is nice. I weigh everything frantically and research nutrition values, if it's not giving me anything positive, it's not going near my mouth. I went for lunch the other week and treated myself to spaghetti carbonara. The restaurant were great and weighed out 150g for me, although when it came, it was a disappointing sight compared to my friend's huge mound of lovely Pasta but sure enough, it filled me perfectly adequately.

I hope there will be a bigger loss next month, fingers crossed.

PS, I've search most of Greater Manchester & Cheshire for these Irn Bru ice lollies but they continue to evade me. I might have to have some shipped in. :P