Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vent: I'm in LAST place in the weight loss challenge! Really?

So... I am in a 12 week weight loss challenge with 8 of my co-workers. We are on week five and I have gained 4 pounds since we started. I am currently in last place!! Ugh!! Here is the thing though… I run, workout 5 days a week including 3 days weight training, get in my Protein and Water, etc. I am sure I am not getting enough calories but still though. My co-workers barely work out if they do at all. They drink smoothies all day and eat grapefruits and nuts. The highest loser has loss about 10 pounds. I am like WTH!!!!! Why am I in last place. Ugh!!!

I don't have any advice, but Holy Crap!!!

I don't know all of your program but you might be gaining muscle and losing fat. Have you measured yourself? My old job we did "biggest loser contests" and found out after the first one that it was unfair for the folks who where working out vs someone who just quit drinking beer. We used some of the entry fee money to hire a personnel trainer to weigh us, measure & do the pinch test to get body fat percentage and then used all three numbers to declare a winner.

My thought is you are burning up so many calories with exercise and breathing your body has gone into starvation mode. Up your calories with high Protein low carb food, eat more frequently and slow down a bit on your exercise. I think your body is holding on to everything for dear life itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SassyNanny

Weight loss competitions have always been toxic for me. They are a HUGE set up for dysfunctional eating and food behaviors. My advice is not to participate in competitions like this. Just focus on your own health.

That said, have you talked to your NUT? You probably aren't eating enough to support your level of exercise.

Our office was doing a weight loss challenge and I jokingly asked if I could retroactively count mine. One girl goes "yours wouldn't count" like losing weight through surgery wasn't the same as losing weight period. So frustrating.

Our office was doing a weight loss challenge and I jokingly asked if I could retroactively count mine. One girl goes "yours wouldn't count" like losing weight through surgery wasn't the same as losing weight period. So frustrating.

Sorry, but what a Bi***.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

@@lifeofblair, @@SamBwaR3 is right! What a bi***!!!! It's not as if weight loss after surgery doesn't require work. Probably the same type of person that would tell you NOT to have surgery because of the people who gain their weight back. @@Essence46 I did notice that you are close to goal, so maybe you're slowing down because of that too... Are you tracking carbs as well? I'm no expert as I haven't even had surgery yet- but i have lost weight a few times (I'm really really good at gaining it back!) so please take whatever I say with a grain of salt. I have done a little research on macros, so in addition to getting Protein in, make sure you're getting healthy fats, and not too many carbs. Good luck! How long is the challenge? My money is on you!

Ha! That's rich. My sister lost weight much more effectively and ended up losing MORE weight than I did doing Weight Watchers. So after the first initial weight loss we have after surgery, our weight loss is on par (and sometimes not) with the other ways of losing weight without surgery. I would have "educated" her about that.

"yours wouldn't count"

@@lifeofblair

WLS december 2015

139 lbs weight loss!!!

amazing!!!!

your weight loss methods don't count/match hers :blink:

watching, calories, carbs, Proteins etc

limiting your food intake

drinking lottttts of Water

etc. etc. etc

wait a minute bud.......

isn't that what "normal" people do to loose weight!!!????

even her!! LOL

this chic is definitely ignorant

she sounds like a bitchhhh too :D

keep up the wonderful job

i know you will

kathy

good luck

congrats

last place!!

@@Essence46

no way bud

you've always been in first place with me ;)

hey stranger, nice to see you again

get those 4 lbs off your mind (and body too!!)

easier said then done - eyes ahead!!!

i agree that you might be eating too few calories

combination of advice given by OP is great

your doing everything right with your weight training, exercising

how about food???

come on, tell me the truth

no one else is looking!!!!

are you writing food, Water, exercise in MFP

don't be sneaky, gotta write EVERYTHING down!

i'll be watching you

get out the ol' measuring tape from the closet

you know measurements sometimes go down at times

when weight doesn't

don't give up on you

i have faith in you silly head :rolleyes:

see you around the Water cooler

i'm buying!!!!

good luck

kathy

My own personal experience, is that I needed to shift from dieting mode... to healthy lifestyle mode. I also find these kind of competitions to be toxic...

Hey proudgrammy, my favorite person. :)

I am definitely going to get these 4 pounds off and hopefully another 25!! I have been eating pretty good. I started logging my food this week and realized I haven't been eating another calories. Not coming close actually. I sort of figured that was the problem. I am going to regroup and work on eating more small meals. I am going good with the Water and liquid Protein intake. I will do better. :)

last place!!

@@Essence46

no way bud

you've always been in first place with me ;)

hey stranger, nice to see you again

get those 4 lbs off your mind (and body too!!)

easier said then done - eyes ahead!!!

i agree that you might be eating too few calories

combination of advice given by OP is great

your doing everything right with your weight training, exercising

how about food? ??

come on, tell me the truth

no one else is looking!!!!

are you writing food, Water, exercise in MFP

don't be sneaky, gotta write EVERYTHING down!

i'll be watching you

get out the ol' measuring tape from the closet

you know measurements sometimes go down at times

when weight doesn't

don't give up on you

i have faith in you silly head :rolleyes:

see you around the water cooler

i'm buying!!!!

good luck

kathy

I love proudgrammy. I wish she was my grandma. :(

I know that if I eat 5 small meals a day, 1/2 cup protien and 1/2 cup veggies my metabolism will jumpstart and I'll drop weight off just with my daily routine. I am wondering if that applies after surgery as well. Granted those amounts may be too much for you. But more in will get your body out of a starvation mode if your not taking enough in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App