Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am curious if anyone else has experienced what I am going thru now.

I had my Sleeve on 03/04/16 since than i have been unable to hold down any fluids. I was discharged Tuesday 03/08/16. Only to be readmitted for dehydration since I am throwing Everything up.

My readmission date was Friday 03/11/16 and i am still here.

While here i have had a egd with dilation with attempt to open up narrowing in stomach. However after this procedure still couldnt keep fluids down. Finally my surgical team state i need a NJ tube. This was placed this past friday. They also found a twist so they did another dilation.

So now i am here depressed and uncomfortable with a feeding tube.

Has anyone gone through this? I feel so alone

If so how long till the tube came out and you were able to eat & drink on own?

Any feedback would be valuable

Thanks

Caridad

It didn't happen to me but I am so sorry it happened to you. That must be scary. Don't feel alone...you have us on the boards!

I didn't go through what you did, but after my surgery I was readmitted and spent another 4 days in the hospital while they tried to control my nausea and retching. Every time I would eat or drink something I would involuntarily retch...I really don't remember the first 2 days after I got back in the hospital because I was on a lot of medications to get the nausea under control. Knock on wood, that was the last complication I had and I've been ok since.

Keep us updated and we are all thinking of you.

Bummer! I'm so sorry that you are having these complications! I did not go through what you are going through but I was readmitted the day after I got home for dehydration. I couldn't drink anything it hurt too much.

They kept me in the hospital for 3 days on IV fluids. Once I was able to go home I really focused on taking teeny tiny sips of Water. Eventually I was able to take regular swallows and today I can chug if I want :)

Just follow your doctor's advice and rest. It's time to take care of you now.

I am sorry. I was ok at first and things went downhill. Ended up with a PICC line. I survived it! Sometimes it takes a bit for your system to get back up.

Thank you all for your feedback. The small sips of Water to a large gulp , kranky, made me underdstand I will be able to drink for real soon enough. I was discharged this past Wednesday and have come home with nj tube. I have home health services assisting me with feeding bag and iv pole.

After reading this feedback helps me to understand I will be ok. As swimbiker until states it takes the body a Lil while to get right

One of my good friends who had gastric bypass 6 years ago said to me yesterday that " I need to be stronger than my emotions right now" between the support on here and that I'm already trying to submit to acceptance.

Thanks

Caridad

OMG I feel for you. Back in 2014 I had complications (couldn't swallow) after they removed my thyroid. I couldn't drink or eat. My veins kept blowing from all the IVs. They finally decided to give me a feeding tube.

The. Absolutely. WORST. Experience of my life! Once it was in, it was bearable, but the process of inserting it? I don't know about you, but they don't give you anything to make it easier. You can feel it and I don't think the tech who put in mine had much experience. I was crying because of the pain and gagging, snotting up, peeing myself from stress incontinence (TMI) not able to breathe--did I mention pain?

Then, after they did it, the damn thing kept want to wriggle it's way back up. I think my body was saying, "Oh HELL no!" Then they started talking about putting some sort of tube/shunt (I can't remember the word) directly into my stomach). It was depressing as hell. I was lucky and turned the corner (possibly from fear of another procedure).

I'm sorry you are having so many problems. Right now I'm waiting for a pleural effusion (Water on the lungs) to be drained and tested. It's pretty much preventing me from exercising, etc., not to mention difficulty breathing. But what I have pales in comparison to what you've gone through. May you also "round the corner" soon.

Thank you Songsmith just hear someone else has been there helps. Luckily my NJ tube was inserted while under sedation. They also bridled it so it won't slip out. But the hardest has to be the feeding bags every night. Pushing 900 cc of Water thru it.

Now I'm trying to learn my own strength again. This is psychological pain now. My heart breaKS daily knowing I choose this procedure and now my outcome.

But I'm placing it in God hands now. I am resigning to his healing. Everyday see little baby steps of change. Like my baby stomach

CaridadM, you are strong, stronger than you know. I understand the depression and feeling of isolation. I remember sitting in the hospital (did I mention it was right before Christmas?) and wondering if I'd get home in time for the Holiday and, if I did, if I'd have the shunt-thing in my stomach forever. I realized how isolated patients who face prolonged stays in the hospital are. It's very depressing. It made me understand a little better why they sent in the disgustingly chipper volunteer to cheer me up!

Have faith. I don't know how long it will take you to recover, but you will recover. Hopefully, this last fix will take. There's something demoralizing about that feeding tube. Talk to your clergy. There's another bariatric site, obesity health? You might sign up and see if you can connect with others who have gone (or are going through) what you're experiencing. I know it's difficult to think of how you'll be after this passes, but make lists of how you plan to get through the stages, think of what you want to prepare, how you'll approach your new life once you're released from hospital. Look forward.

Thank you Songsmith those are excell entry tips. You are correct the feeding tube is demoralizing. It makes me feel broken. Thank you for your words.

Caridad

????

i hear ya. i went from NG to plus PICC to NJ to get strong (7 weeks in hospital) but 31 days with Nasojejunum tube...then another semi perm jejunum tube for about.14 months on off. i pulled out the NG tube cuz it sucked. its easy to do....I am wishing you the best. long road ahead but remember how strong you are and utilize your support system. All self preservation goes out the door after what we have gone through. Plus, I am a nurse so I see both sides now. get better...

t

I had gastric bypass on June 5th. I have had several dilations and stents put in. Two weeks ago they put in a feeding tube and today I am throwing everything up again. I don’t know why it keeps closing up and they don’t seem to know either. I don’t know where to turn anymore.

Hi Mdsd52

I had my surgery on 03/2016. Due to my complications I lost weight very quickly. I went from 315 to about 199 by Jan 2017.

I understand your frustrations and fears alot. Even as I was losing weight on the outside I was in an emotional turmoil on the inside. I was unable to drink Water beyond a few sips for months. I followed the trajectory of "typical" gastric sleeves and I was not having the same plateaus as others.

My NG tube was removed 3 weeks after my surgery. I returned to work finally after my 5th week on leave.

I will not say it was easy. I started at work being able to only eat 4 it's of cream of chicken Soup and baby oatmeal. For wèeks that's all I had. I couldn't tolerate Protein or milk. I threw Every thing up.

I was so scared and second guessing the surgery every step of the way. People ask me now do I regret it and I say " you have to have a certain level of inner strength to get thru the process."

I was an atypical gastric sleeve patient but as I began to understand my body more and paying attention to triggers. I became more comfortable with eating again.

To this day I still throw up if I eat the wrong thing or to much. This pulls me down emotionally sometimes.

All I can say to you is this is a hard and bleak time now. Even though your body is not responding the way the typical patients heal. Does not mean you will not. If your like me it just may take a lot longer.

I have to add this. Due to my surgery I became more fertile and I got pregnant 9 months after my surgery ( also not recommended).

I was so scared because I barely was getting enough calories for me - now I have to eat a certain amount more to sustain a child. I had a few complications during my pregnancy. But my son was born 09/2017. In this I am thankful for the surgery. I thought my chances at having children had passed.

I say this to say... Dont give up and remember others have been where you are even if you can't find others like you online... In a year or two life can be dramatically different.

But for now please be patient with yourself and your doctors... If you need more answers explore other bariatric MD's and get there input. I had my surgery at Univ of Chicago

If you want more info or have questions or simply need to cry and vent during this time I can be your ear.

I am sorry to hear of your complications but remember be patient. Just be patient with yourself and it is ok to be afraid and angry and happy all at once at this chaotic time.

On 3/25/2016 at 12:32 PM, CaridadM said:

I am curious if anyone else has experienced what I am going thru now.

I had my Sleeve on 03/04/16 since than i have been unable to hold down any fluids. I was discharged Tuesday 03/08/16. Only to be readmitted for dehydration since I am throwing Everything up.

My readmission date was Friday 03/11/16 and i am still here.

While here i have had a egd with dilation with attempt to open up narrowing in stomach. However after this procedure still couldnt keep fluids down. Finally my surgical team state i need a NJ tube. This was placed this past friday. They also found a twist so they did another dilation.

So now i am here depressed and uncomfortable with a feeding tube.

Has anyone gone through this? I feel so alone

If so how long till the tube came out and you were able to eat & drink on own?

Any feedback would be valuable

Thanks

Caridad

Yes this is exactly what happening to me