Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you wish you knew.

Hey guys. Hope all is well with everyone. Very first post ever, on here. Im 39 with Type II Diabetes with sleep Apnea at 370lbs. At my heaviest I was at 443lbs. I've lost some weight on my own. Now Im exploring Gastric Sleeve WLS. For you guys who have already had the surgery this is for you. What do you wish you knew before your surgery that you know now. The HIGHS and LOWS of it all.

Sorry..I just realized you were asking for males to respond.

Edited by animallover1247

I have not had the surgery yet. I am scheduled for next Friday, the 25th. I am interested in what people have to say as well. I have already read many goods and bads, but it is cool to have it in one thread.

I had the surgery last October. I weighed 422 on that day. I'd lost 55 prior to the surgery once I started in the program.

This morning I weighed 314.

Things I wished I known:

*how straightforward of a process the sleeve would be if I simply adhered to the surgeon's instructions....eat the foods and amounts that he said to and the fat will come off quickly and very, very easily.

*how my only regret would be not having my sleeve surgery much sooner. It is truly my only regret.

*how much my family and friends would support me.....AFTER......the initial results started becoming visible. I was apprehensive at first. Folks may even try to talk you out of it....or share some wls horror story of a friend of a friend's neighbor's uncle's friend......... Truly, once you being losing fast....supporters jump on board fast. Don't sweat the initial naysayers.

First of all, I wish I had done it earlier. Secondly, I had heard about how your tastes change after surgery, am it is odd, things that I grew up hating ALL MY LIFE, I know enjoy, dare I say like eating. WLS has more affects on you than just your body changing. The obvious, my clothes have changed, my meds have changed and most importantly, I feel better, more motivated, a bit more confident, and my endurance and enjoying exercise/physical activity. Good luck on your journey.

First of all, I wish I had done it earlier. Secondly, I had heard about how your tastes change after surgery, am it is odd, things that I grew up hating ALL MY LIFE, I know enjoy, dare I say like eating. WLS has more affects on you than just your body changing. The obvious, my clothes have changed, my meds have changed and most importantly, I feel better, more motivated, a bit more confident, and my endurance and enjoying exercise/physical activity. Good luck on your journey.

word for word, my sentiments exactly. ;)

I am a 59yr Old Salty Submarine Sailor who thought he had the world by the tail, until one day I woke up and realized I was 308# (5'6") and that I may not be around to see my kids get married and have grand children.

I had the surgery April 21, 2014. (No a Sleever - RNY) I weighed 256 on that day. I'd lost 52 prior to the surgery once I started in the program.

This morning I weighed 160

Things I wished I known:

*how straightforward of a process would really be. All you have to really know is to adhered to the surgeon's instructions....eat the foods and amounts that he said to and the fat will come off quickly and I thought I would be so much more..... It is really that easy.

*how my only regret would be not having my WLS much sooner. It is truly my only regret.

*how much my family and friends would support me.....AFTER......the initial results started becoming visible. I was apprehensive at first. People will try to talk you out of it....or share some wls horror story of a friend of a friend's neighbor's uncle's friend......... Truly, once you being losing fast....supporters jump on board fast. Don't sweat the initial naysayers. You just have to surround yourself with the right people!!

We are all here for you and willing to answer any question.

Edited by Phil Bettencourt

My decision to have the sleeve surgery was primarily based upon co-morbidities (sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure). Before my surgery I wish I had known what impact surgery and the subsequent weight loss would have on these health issues. My doctors would quote success percentages for these issues post sleeve, but there were no guarantees.

Now I know:

- Type 2 Diabetes - In remission. Normal A1C's after stopping all 4 of my diabetes meds.

- High Blood Pressure - Blood pressure is now normal and I have stopped my high blood pressure meds.

- sleep Apnea - Had a sleep study performed in December at 240 lbs and my AHI went from 125 to 14. Unfortunately an AHI greater than 5 means that I still need the Bi-Pap machine. When I get down to my goal weight of 200 lbs I will have another sleep study and hope to no longer need the Bi-Pap machine.

I was one of the 'lucky' ones.

I was 560lb with NO other health issues..

I was just FAT...

My surgery was deferred twice - once was financial, the other was health related (not obesity related)...

Like everyone else, my only regret is that I didn't do this sooner...

I've not concerned myself with the opinions/thoughts/support of friends/colleagues etc...

If they're there for me then so be it...

And if they're not, I'm ok with that too...

The reality is, I did this for ME...

I've rarely sought support or advice (outside of this INCREDIBLY HELPFUL forum)...

I've rarely needed to...

I can't recall any time that I could consider a 'low'...

It's all been positive for me...

Like others before have said, if you want to know anything, just ask...

You'll generally get an honest and up front answer...

Good luck to you mate...

I just celebrated 200 lbs. lost in 9 months. Same as Kinda Familiar, quite healthy, just fat (with apnea). The sleeve was the right choice for me. I have heard that amazingly fast changes can be made with diabetes for people that have the bypass. The pressure on my CPAP has been reduced by half. I followed the guide lines to a letter post op, no issues. My sense of taste and smell has changed. Just had some of a Hot Cross Bun for Lent, been eating them my whole life, and really like them. I remember them being "yummier". Did not trip my trigger, didn't WANT to finish it, so I didn't. That would NEVER have happened before. I agree with other people that I wish I had done this sooner, but in all actuality it happened at JUST the right time, when I was ready. Ask lots of questions, but follow your heart, it rarely lies.