Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IUD - What should I expect?

I think you might really be over thinking it. Mine didn't hurt any more than cramps.

The gas pain in my shoulder and my hip post WLS was really the worst pain of my life because it lasted for days and not the 30 to 90 seconds of the IUD.

I had a hysteroscopy in January and had an IUD put in during the surgery to control abnormal bleeding. No problems, except it takes 3-6 months to regulate so the bleeding has been constant :(

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Just got the Mirena placed...that was incredible painful and uncomfortable.

My IUD appt took over an hour. I was on the table for 40 minutes.

First, they tried to insert the sounding rod without dilating. That was painful and didn't work. It then took over 15 minutes to dilate my cervix. That was about an 8 on the 1-10 pain scale and did make me flinch several times. It was a pretty constant pain while they worked at getting it open. The actual placement was quick, not painful, and it was done. A little nausea and lightheadedness after, but I was fine to go back to work. I'm cramping now, but nothing worse than normal period cramps. I am surprised, actually, that I'm fine now. Standing up helps.

I'm 34, never had kids, with a small cervix. I couldn't schedule during my period because I haven't had one in the last two months due to stopping my BC pills and PCOS.

I would do it again, just because an hour of pain is nothing compared to 5 years of taking pills. However, I'm glad it's only once every 5 years. Knowing I'm covered is a good feeling.

(On a lighter note, the doctor that was supervising the insertion played dubstep on his iPhone using Pandora. That was surreal.)

Hi,

I had one inserted a year ago and have never looked back. I was 32, no kids & didn't track my cycle either.

They made me take some Ibuprofen beforehand (thankfully) and the worst part of it all was cramping while the cervix dilates. It can take some time because you can't help but feel tense lol

I was crampy that night and used a warm wheatbag to ease the pain. From what I remember, I had light spotting for a few weeks and experience no bleeding whatsoever now.

Good luck. Try to relax as much as you can to make the process easier.

Personally I liked the Mirena at first. Like you, I've never had any kids. It did hurt getting it put in, but I was able to go to work an hour later. Definitely bring Advil and if you can just go home and take a nap afterwards that'd be ideal.

I had it in for 8 months but had it taken out because I was bleeding non stop after the first 2 months :/ I'm now on the pill and it's not so bad but I've been skipping the placebo which I think has contributed to break through bleeding. I think I'll stay on the pill for a while though. Some people love the Mirena and I wanted to love it too but it wasn't meant to be lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by AH.healthyfit

For me I had given birth 19 years prior to my Mirena insertion so maybe that helped but maybe not. I was given a prescription to take 1 day before insertion to "soften" my uterus and another pill while waiting for the dr to begin the procedure. I felt cramping on a scale of a 7-8, it took all of about maybe 5 minutes. Not long at all. I did feel a bit faint as I sat up and the cramping continued. I'm glad I had a ride to take me home. Could have driven buy really just wanted to recline back and relax. Mirena has been the best BC I've used to date so you are making a good decision. Good luck and you got this!

Day two.. pain has been on and off. I was fine overnight and when I woke up. Experienced some pretty intense pain in the car coming home a little bit ago. Feels like something is stabbing me in my right ovary.

I just want to thank all of you ladies for your feedback. I really do appreciate you all sharing your experiences. Some people may get freaked out when they hear less than ideal stories, but the more information I have the calmer I feel, so you have all helped greatly.

April 1st is my day, and I am not rescheduling again. Time to get this done!

@ I am the same way! I'd rather know all the facts. It puts me at ease.

I got the Mirena a couple of years ago to address incredibly heavy periods. No problems with pain when it was put in - not even mild cramping or anything. But, about a week later I started bleeding and basically had a three-month long period. After that, periods are pretty light - yes....I am unlucky in that I still get them! I would say the PMS symptoms have been worse but manageable. Swollen breasts, that out of control angry feeling. A couple days of that and I'm tired of myself!

Not bad at all! I had the Skyla inserted on two different occasions and just had cramping that reminded me of intense menstrual cramps. The uterine biopsies I've had were much, much worse.

Not bad at all! I had the Skyla inserted on two different occasions and just had cramping that reminded me of intense menstrual cramps. The uterine biopsies I've had were much, much worse.

I think you were wise to postpone it. I had very little cramping and it was the BEST thing ever. I'm on my 2nd one- but I've also had 3 children. 2 of my co-workers recently had it inserted. One was in a lot of pain for about 3 days and the other also had pain but not for as long. The first girl hasn't had any children and the 2nd had 1 over 20 years ago. I think that makes a huge difference. In addition to not having to worry about birth control, I barely have to worry about my period as it's very very light.

I've had the Mirena for almost 3 years and it has work great for me at first my period went away but after WLS it came back, doctor said it was normal after the stress from surgery ... Still had cramps but not as bad as before I had it put in.. Best of luck!

I'm curious - how did it go for you? I've been contemplating getting an IUD (on Nuvaring now), so this thread has been fascinating.