Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Eval...WAY too long, WAY WAY too long

I met with him first, did one computerized test, went back did the block and word association type test, went back again and did the second computerized test and then met with him again to go over the results.

He said I was being guarded during the second set of questions. I just found them a bit more confusing. He gave me the true, mostly true line. I couldn't decide if something was indeed firstly true.

Just glad it's over. I have my RN/Dietician appt this Wed. This week is going to go by sooo slow. All my info has to go to a "team" for review. I keep thinking for some reason, that this is just not going to happen.

I have a 4-hour appt. tomorrow with my "Team." They do "team appts" each Tuesday, and then meet the following Monday to discuss patients... It's kind of nice to get it over with all in one afternoon (surgeon, psychiatrist, nutritionist & I think they sneak in the finance office... )

I'm confident they'll approve me, I just am uncomfortable with the process... what helps the most is all that I've learned HERE... I feel like I know what I'm doing, why, and what I need to do to make it work. I'm up for it and hope they can find a way to get me motivated to start my weight loss journey NOW while I wait for insurance approval...

So, have any of you thought about what you are going to do when you want to put that food into your mouth? That was a good ? I have always been an emotional eater...however, I think my emotions will level out as I lose weight and feel better with confidence......???

Seriously, I might take up knitting/crocheting!! crossword puzzles...hmmm.....

I do crochet... and will probably take it up again! : )

I might have to take up housecleaning too... mine is looking pretty pathetic : )

Katie

Mine lasted a couple hours. They gave me this computerized test of 569 questions, true or false. I read the questions, didn't think about them deeply and answered them. Anyhow, I thought that was what they wanted. Never really explained it. Then, the doctor came in and asked questions about my family past and present. Education and relationships. That lasted about 15 minutes.

Then I had to wait over a month for the results. I FLUNKED. My primary care doctor just laughed when he read it. Said it was a bunch of psycho-babble. Said I was depressed. DUH!!!!!!! Anyway, I wasn't about to pay for counciling for something I knew the cause of (weight) and I knew my insurance wouldn't pay since the doctor wouldn't recommend the surgery and my depression was SO bad that I knew I couldn't wait (I was ready to commit suicide) I went to Mexico, self pay and it was the best thing I ever did. The depression is gone and I am moving forward with my life.

Mine was about 15 minutes tops. The Doc wanted to make sure I understood this would be a lifestyle change. He just asked my reasoning for having it done, and asked a brief family history. No tests, no questionaires. I remember being a nervous wreck prior to the appt., wondering what kind of visit it would turn out to be. Drove thru a snow storm, got lost, but all in all, it went well, and I was back into the snowstorm in the blink of an eye!

Peggy

Isn't amazing what a void we have in our lives without food? Not that we are obsessed but that it is a major part of life. If we lived in a jungle, it would be the same thing except we would have to hunt instead of heading to the supermarket.

I was talking about this with my wife the other day. For example, she still has a habit of calling around the same time each day from work wondering what to have for dinner; something we have done back and forth for years. Then she will catch herself and apologize and we both get a laugh out of it.

Eventually I hope to get to a point where I can eat what the family eats again but in much smaller portions. This will return us to that sense of normalcy we always enjoyed at mealtime.:clap2:

My psych eval was about an hour and 1/2. I didn't have do do any puzzles or IQ tests though! He was concerned that I presented signs of being a binge eater. Also, that I have been in recovery for 11 years and he said a lot of people who lose weight after being heavy for a long time, switch addictions from food to something else. So, I guess he was concerned about me relapsing as well.

Maria

Indeed, going to try to switch that addiction to something positive.

Before the surgery I was totally enjoying swimming then sauna-ing at the health club. I think this is looking good BUTwhat to do while watching TV.....knitting/crocheting ...heck I don't know!

I met with a psychiatrist for about 30 minutes yesterday... It was very "pleasant" and I really liked him. I'm just so boring with no phobias or addictions (shut up --- food doesn't count) :kiss.. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't to recreational drugs... Been married to the same man for 36 yrs... both of us have been faithful... two independent grown up, healthy kids... no troubles with the law or our jobs... No one is out to get me and I don't have aliens talking to me in my sleep... I don't have urges to harm others or myself...

He thought I have a good grasp on the surgery, understood the risks and saw no red flags at all... He did not ask me what I planned to do instead of stuffing my face all day/night... :tea: I did tell him that my biggest fear of the surgery is that I will not be successful. I know the band won't do it alone, that it is up to me to make it work... and worried that maybe I'd fail (again)... He thought that was a logical thing to worry about... I did say I'd be reaching out to all the support offered - I have already and will continue to do so.

:ranger: Then I took two computer surveys. One had 700+ questions, the 2nd about 175... It took a little over an hour to do them (The psychiatrist pre-warned me not to over-think my answers, just answer T or F) I asked the pyschologist if I would get the results... She said "I can tell you right now." The first test is the more important one, and I didn't see anything to stop you from the surgery. You do seem to be on the shy side (yes)." The 2nd test - she skimmed it as it came off the printer and said everything looked fine there too.

Sample Questions (all T/F):

I would like to be a florist

I like to read newspaper articles about crime

Everyone is out to get me

I enjoy reading mechanical magazines

No one understands me

I would like to harm animals

I have more problems than my friends

I think it is ok to do things that are in the grey area of the law

I love(d) my mother

In a party I enjoy sitting by myself or with one other person to talk

I don't like it when I am the butt of a joke

I often get red splotches on my neck

I would like to be a librarian

I think its ok for people to get away with breaking the law sometimes

I believe my dreams are trying to warn me of bad things

I want my doctor to be very detailed when discussing my health

I cry easily

I enjoy walking alone into a large room full of people at a party

I resent people who will do anything to get ahead

I am answering these questions to make myself look better than I really am.....

etc....

Wow - I guess all I can say is that I'm grateful not to have gone through all of that! I didn't even do a psych eval nor did I meet with a nutritionist. I was self-pay so I wonder if that had something to do with it? I was banded in Houston TX.

Just goes to show that psych evals for lap banders have not been standardized yet, and anything goes. And yes, most morbidly obese people are going to test as depressed and possibly angry, as having low self esteem and a variety of other ills. My question is how that qualifies or doesn't qualify one for surgery. And the block test...that's part of the IQ test, and I doubt if IQ is significantly related to lap band outcome. Seems like all you'd really want a psychologist to do is to answer 3 questions: Is the patient sufficiently informed about lap bands to be ready for surgery, Is the patient put together well enough mentally and emotionally for surgery, and does the patient have any eating disorders that need to be addressed prior to being banded... The first question could even be answered by the surgeon. The other two should be able to be done by screening interview and brief Q&A tests....

I have knitted 105 pr of socks!! really keeps my hands busy--and they don't stay in my possessin long--people buy them as fast as I can knit them!! Just became a Bubbie (grandma) for the first time on July 25---new little boy has handknit everything!! Psyc exam was 2 hours--he suggested follow up...been there done that--knitting is the answer!!

Like Ktkt, I had an hour interview with the pych, and an hour with 3 Q&A programs on a computer. The doctor asked similar questions and found out my problem was mostly obesity related. Most of my problems with depression, the way I looked, and lately felt pain wise, were mostly because of my obesity problem, and I've been at least obese my whole adult life. He asked if my close family were obese also, and I said yes. He mostly wanted to know if I fully understood the mechanics of the surgery to get the band, and was I fully aware of what would be expected of me to make it successful. He asked me about recreational substance abuse and I was truthful to a fault. I admitted I was a child of the 60s (Class of 1970) who has since reformed years ago. :tea:

Sometime during the interview I told him about a new book I'd read that helped me decide on surgery. He hadn't heard of it yet. It was on why dieting and exercise usually fail for obese people, all based on actually case studies that have been done over the last 50-100 years all around the world. The groups were exercise and calorie counting, exercise and carb counting, exercise-diet-medication, and exercise alone. The book is new and just out since this summer, "Rethinking Thin". If you haven't read it you need to if you have any doubt that you're doing the right thing. That book is what cinched it for me. If what was wrong with me was genetically induced, then I couldn't ever be successful in getting back to and staying at something below 170 without some kind of bariatric procedure. I've never lost more than 30 lbs on any diet before the raving hunger lion would bite me and I'd gain it back plus.

In the end, he said he had no reason to keep me out of the surgery unless something came up on the Q&A programs. I should know those results by Aug 18th. I feel confident they won't find anything there to block me but its hell waiting for anything with me.