Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Challenge! Go for the Gold!

I had to pull up during my run yesterday... hamstring a little sore. I have a 90 minute run scheduled for tomorrow, so I want to be careful.

Okay- advice... who has a garmin... I am ready to break down!!! Pleas share your story and what you like and don't like.

I have worked this week. Went back to no eating after 7:30 and I am down. I am getting closer to goal. We'll see if I can keep it up!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/153.8/148

less than 6 lbs to goal!!!!!!!

Dawn,

I have the Garmin 305 and can't live without it. The minuses are that it take a long time (3 min maybe, but feels like forever) to locate the satellite, but once it does, it really does a great job at logging your distance and speed. I feel the distance is EXTREMELY accurate. The speed is accurate on average (say, every .25 mile) but at any given SECOND can be wildly off (meaning it might say you're running 13 miles an hour when you're really running 6 or vice versa). On the positives, I NEVER feel like I have to run on a treadmill to get awesome stats about my run and I always feel like it's really precise.

Last month's Runners' World had a great article comparing and contrasting several models -- you might see if you can find it (I've already thrown mine out because the new one came).

Dawn, I completely agree. I bought the 305 two months ago.

The only negative, for me, is that the distances logged are SO accurate! haha! If only it would lie to me like my scale does, and give me a higher number (of miles ran.)

I can't live without it now, because I have the freedom of running any route I choose. It is helpful to forget it is on my wrist and get comfortable in my run.

costco had them on sale for about $200 a month ago. They still might online.

Good luck!!

First, Boo, you're really freakin' funny! Love that line about wishing the garmin would lie like your scale. Haha! Me too!

OK, I'm feeling really GOOD. I ran 6 miles today and felt SO STRONG and fit! I didn't run with my garmin because I knew the exact distance of the route I was running and I didn't want to time myself because I'm aggressive with my timed runs and I don't need to run aggressively until my legs are really healed. Anyway, it was a GREAT run, I mean a really great run! It felt so good to be back on track. And I think I've done really well to have so much surgery back-to-back -- essentially 12 straight weeks off running -- and still be able to comfortably run 6+ miles at a reasonable speed. YAY! I was so worried about that!

Anyway, that's all my news. I hope yall are doing as well! Tell me stories!

Wow, Julie, it is such a relief to hear you are feeling more like yourself now.

It is a huge accomplishment to survive all the surgeries and then bounce back with a free six mile run!

I think that it is a good idea to have some routes that are set for distance. I get a bit nervous when I check the Garmin and my time isn't what I would like, or I get too excited when I see a mile in the eight minute range. It messes with my mind when right now I am trying to increase distance.

It is still not so fun and comfortable to run more than six or seven miles. I ran ten last night and my legs just felt so heavy by mile seven. It must be my circulation or ??? Does that get better? I'm sticking with it, hoping as I get stronger that I'll enjoy the longer run. But for now, it is just an accomplishment to increase distance.

I'm staying at a beach resort, so running on a level path has been dreamy!! My routines always include some serious incline. With a level run, my time was SO much better!!

Enjoy the weekend!!

Boo

Boo,

Increase distances a tiny bit at a time. No more than 10% per week, ok? You should only get that heavy feeling on the very, very end of your longest run. 7 miles into a 10 mile run is too early. My opinion is you risk injury that way, so take it easy. Slow down if you have to. Increasing speed or increasing distance -- never both, ok?

I had to stop running again to get my leg seromas under control. I think I'm going to sit out a full 2 more weeks. I hate it, but these things have just GOT to go away. The last thing I want is drains put back in. UGH.

Safe training!

Hugs, Julie

Thanks for the tips. I just hope the heavy leg feeling goes away. I am assuming it is a circulation issue?

It is really important that I feel success at the level I am now. Just exercising regularly is what I need to focus on. Work and life is crazy. This is where I have usually broken down in my past, letting the demands take over my life. Short of never sleeping, I haven't found a way to say, "No."

I'm eating better, though!

So sorry about the seromas, Julie...unreal...

You are STILL the bravest woman I want to know.

Well, my legs are better. There are still knots in both of them, but they aren't filling with Fluid anymore (knock on wood), so the knots should get smaller and smaller until they go away. In the meantime, I've started running again, but only very limited distances (under 5 miles) until I see a little more progress with my recovery. I just couldn't sit out altogether -- I was so depressed and beginning to not function (wild) and exercise is the only natural combattant I have. Anyway, it should all be fine.

I have to tell you, though. I've been horribly depressed. It's not weight related -- at least not directly so -- it's just my normal depression. I'm so very lonely at core. It doesn't help to simply not "be alone" -- sometimes being with people makes it worse. Anyway, it's a struggle. I'm dating a lot, which in some ways makes it worse too -- like it highlights what's missing in my life, if that makes sense. Anyway, I'm tired of my own problems, so I guess that's my cue to quit writing!

Oh, geez Julie..............I guess we all wanted "life to be great" with the weight loss/ps/etc....................I too...........it doesn't make me young again with all the ++++'s I think that would bring! But, I'm so happy to hear no more draining from you! Yes, life continues - and it was not the answer to all (the weight loss).......... What can I say, go Julie......I know that running is a big part of your life now............and it does such wonders in the weight/loss/maintain/day to day well being of us all.....one of the best things we can do for our bodies.

I'm doing my "thing" almost daily........gym or walks.........but, have a little glitch...........have a neuroma on my foot (nerve inflamation)......have had two prior surgeries prior (years ago).........so, I've been hurting thro it all............but, I will not stop! Eventually I'll have to do something about it................trying shots of cortezone first! My weight is at a standstill - up 20 lbs from my lowest........but, have too much on the homestand at the moment to concentrate. Gloomy weather, my foot, my daughter's x cutting her child support, my house getting to be too much for us to take care of.............I want to sell it, but Alan does not,.........................geez Julile, maybe we'll do better in the Spring!

I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks tho - we're off to a Baja Calif, Mexico 6 night cruize - mah Jongg tournament (4 girls from our group) and 3 husbands are joining us (including Alan) - we're leaving Friday (the weather forcast says 80 ish in La Paz for all next week..........and then Alan and I are staying in San Diego for a few days afterwards to visit with family and friends.......yipee.......warmness.

Boo, Dawn.............how are you guys doing?

Have a great couple of weeks and i'll check in when we get back on the 18th.

Ah, we must all be having some sort of winter gloominess. I came home today, feeling down, and just started cooking multiple dishes of Pasta for my family. I don't even like Pasta very much, I just miss being home and homemaking. We all need to nurture and be nurtured, don't we?

Julie, this will pass. We all go through down times. Only you know your signs for needing help. I know that when I start to think that no one loves me, that I have no friends, that I should just get a divorce, or should run away, it is time for Zoloft. When there is free time on my hands (which rarely happens) I tend to be unsure and question my life. You have not been able to run, you are STILL recovering from multiple surgeries. Just because they were PS and have given an aesthetically beautiful outcome, your body is healing as if you were in a ferocious accident. Give yourself a break!

As far as missing someone or something, can you dig deeply in your heart and identify who or what that is? If you do know what is missing and can change anything, then consider it. If not, and if it is just a general sadness, then you are in need of endorphins! Your running will take care of it!

Heart hugs from me to you! I will see you in about 7 weeks!

Betty, I'm with Alan! Your house is all on one level, and has been built exactly to your taste and need. Where would you want to go? (Other than California?) You have created such a lovely life for yourself. The sounds and views are heavenly. Keep on doing your thang! We are so much better off than we would be without our bands.

XOXO

I got a fill this morning -- I'm hoping that will help. Actually, I'm certain it will help and I feel good about that. As it turns out, I only had 8.0 in my band, which isn't enough for me. I'm best somewhere between 9.0 and 9.5. So, he put me back up to 9.0 (which is where I thought I was -- I don't want to think about whether I have a leak, or whether Dad just thought he put in 9.0 and he really didn't -- let's hope the latter).

I already feel the difference. If it's mental, I don't care, as long as I keep feeling the difference!

Bad depression, bad boy problems, bad work week. Luckily, things should calm down at work come Friday.

Hope yall are all well.

I'm eating black bean Soup for lunch (they like us to do liquids/mushies for a couple of days post fill and I usually don't comply but for a meal or two, but I'm still in compliance mode, haha). I actually feel a difference even on soup. YAY. And I can honestly say I have no desire for Skittles at the moment. I hope I stay full and that the Skittles monster stays at bay! If so, maybe I can actually knock off these last few lbs, get to goal, and turn my focus to maintenance! Wouldn't that be incredible....

Wow, Julie! That is great! It is amazing how we have forgotten about the ferocious hunger that comes without a good fill level.

I had black bean Soup today, too. Yum! But the chocolate monster got to me and I had about 4 Hershey Kisses (or was it 5??)

So when are you writing a book??

My weight is staying the SAME, and for once, I am grateful. I have not been running but maybe three times this month. There are three herniated discs in my back and that is what is causing me tremendous pain in my hip and down my leg. I haven't slept well in at least 6 months. My determination to keep running has forced me to push through the pain, but I've finally had enough! Now I am trying a little rest to see what can be done. I see another ortho guy for a 2nd opinion on Thursday. Cross your fingers for me!! I do not feel it is injuring me to run. I love it. When I run there is less pain (endorphins?) But the really long runs (7 + miles for me) make it harder to manage.

I'm not down for good, just experimenting with a little rest and then will try again after Thursday, depending on what the dr. says.

My dear friends, keep it up!!! You ALL inspire me!! I need it right now.

Hi Guys,

Miss you all! Julie - how are you feeling (P & M)? Boo, what's new on the disc problems? Dawn - is it starting to warm up - way up there in the north?

We just got home from vacation on Tues. I caught the "flu not covered by the shot"......................and it's not good! I've been sick for almost 2 weeks now..................taking all kinds of cough meds, and yesterday started on antibiotics...............I have not slept in days.....have a hacking cough, my head/ears/chest/throat are so sore............this is no fun!

Betty, I'm so sorry and can relate. I've got the flu, too! I have never had a flu shot before, but after this will probably get one every year. Yuck, I am miserable!