Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 17 days & anxiety

:) HI I know this is new and I have heard that depression ect is common after surgery but what about anxiety?

I am feeling so afraid that something is going to go wrong even though I have thankfully had an uncomplicated recovery, just some nausea and weakness.

I keep obsessing about a problem arising and having to have surgery again....... Mostly because of the sleep apnea machine i had/have to use I was never given the machine untill a couple of days before surgery and I was so anxious about surgery that everytime I tried to use it I felt clostophobia (sp) then after sugery when they gave me my pain shot and I laid down with the machine it didnot stop me from not breathing and the nurse kept comming in and waking me up yelling at me that I wasn't breathing.

I was so frightened that I wouldn't go to sleep or take pain meds.

I was told that my sleep apnea was very mild the lowest number being 5 i was a 7.

I did not use the machine in recovery and am unaware of any complications.

I think the pain meds were to strong for me, I always need only small doses of medications.

When I expressed my concerns to the morning nurse she said that my saturation and oxigen levels were always fine so I guess thats a good thing.

So now I am afraid to eat or do anything that might cause problems with my band, and am in constant watch and anxiety mode. Feeling stuck in this situation as unbanding would mean facing my biggest fear.

Please tell me I will get over this

thanks Diane

Hi, haven't been banded yet, but will be in September.Don't worry about the band; a very small percentage of bands are taken out. You cant think of the band as a foreign object that you might piss off, you have to think that is a part of you now. So do what you have been doing, eat slowly, chew well and Water load. Its ok to feel nervous and anxious as you have gone through a major life change. Just make a concious effort to live normal and not obsess about the band. Its made FOR your body and to work WITH your body to aid you. GOOD LUCK!!

I wouldn't worry that much about the cpap machine... My husband has one, and it took him a long time to get used to the mask... some nights he only lasted an hour with it... Lately he's been sick, so isn't using it at all... And he's probably a 12 on a scale of 1-10 (very severe)! Sometimes it's all too much to deal with at one time.

Relax, try to settle yourself down before worrying about the apparatus... you've lived this long without it... several more nights won't make a difference... and if all goes well - YOU WON'T NEED IT AT ALL once you start losing weight.... (that happened to my DH, then he gained it all back).

Hope this calms you down a bit... HUGS!!!

Thanks npubander and Katie for thaking the time to read such a long post and reply.

Can i ask how your Husband knew when he didn't need it any longer after loosing weight? Did he have to do a new sleep study?

Thanks again Diane

No need to stress yourself out. This is normal. We have just gone through a major, life-changing surgery. I think you should view some of the anxiety as a positive, in that it reminds us that this is s'thing not to be taken lightly. Not sure if I just made sense there...

I was recently banded (7/25) and I've had those thoughts pass through my mind, as well. You're not alone.

Just try not to let the anxious thoughts overwhelm you. I know...easier said than done. Turn your thoughts elsewhere. Focus on healing and adjusting to your new life. You have taken a huge step towards health and a better you.

As for the machine, I understand that takes some time getting used to. Maybe try a different style mask. If it were me, I'd chuck the machine just for a few days, then go back to it.

And remember, give yourself time. This is all so new to us. You can do this!

Also, check this thread out. It may help.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/increased-depression-anxiety-after-surgery-15872/

thanks Chimboree

I am going to check out that sight right now.

Just 28 and so wise :Banane21:

So wise. I had to LOL at that one! There are many, many times I feel like a complete idiot, but hey, we live and learn, right??? But thank you! :)

Thanks npubander and Katie for thaking the time to read such a long post and reply.

Can i ask how your Husband knew when he didn't need it any longer after loosing weight? Did he have to do a new sleep study?

Thanks again Diane

Hi Diane... Yes, my husband had a repeat sleep study... he requested it because of the weight loss... he was not snoring anymore and sleeping well without it.

He gained all his weight back plus some (sound familiar) - and has had a number of surgeries...hosp. staff noticed low oxygen levels in recovery, alerting his pcp to repeat the study... and now he's back on the macine PLUS oxygen at night.

Are you starting to feel better?

katie

I have anxiety too, not that something will go wrong but that it won't work for me and I won't lose any weight. After the surgery I was worrying about everything. I couldn't focus or read or do anything. It has been alittle better since I have gone back to work. Be patient with the CPAP it takes awhile to get used to. I am so used to mine now, I can't sleep without it.

Hi Diane... Yes, my husband had a repeat sleep study... he requested it because of the weight loss... he was not snoring anymore and sleeping well without it.

He gained all his weight back plus some (sound familiar) - and has had a number of surgeries...hosp. staff noticed low oxygen levels in recovery, alerting his pcp to repeat the study... and now he's back on the macine PLUS oxygen at night.

Are you starting to feel better?

katie

Thanks Kathy for replying it makes me feel better knowing he was able to have surgery in spite of his apnea

However I am sorry for him that the weight came back on and he meeded sugery.

I have been feeling better until My eyes started swelling yesturday I have food allergies and the food color is a nono for me

I was also put on liquid amixil (bright Pink) 5 days ago for a uti so I am hopin its not the antibiotic

Juust Gods way of keeping me on my toes lol

Thanks again and I hopw all is well with you husband

Diane

Danielle thanks for the reply I just hate feeling this way its just like you said I can't focus on anything and external noise bother me but thats getting better.

So did you have to use your Cpap in the recovery room?

How long did it take you to get used to it?

I haven't used mine in about a week. Guess I should try it again aghhh

Diane

I haven't been banded yet but 12+ years on a CPAP and 2 surgerys and a dozen hospital stays since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Like everything else everyone adapts differently. Myself I took to the machine with ease. But I also have pretty bad apnea.

There are a ton of things you can do to help you get adjusted to the machine. Like start wearing it for 15 minutes a day while awake. Increasing that as you go. Try it during naps.

Its been my experience that If you go to the hospital for anything take your CPAP with you.

Many hospitals demand you use your own machine. When I had my apendix removed I was in the hosptial for 3 days. And as soon as they put me in a room (before they had decided to do surgery) The Told me I had to send my boyfriend home to get mine. That they would monitor my breathing during surgery and control my breathing if needed but I needed my cpap afterwards.

Anytime I have to be admitted They say I need to bring my machine.

And quite honestly. I can't sleep without it period which can be annoying at times. I cannot nap in the car without having serious problems.

This is one thing I wonder about once i get my band and lose allot of weight. I bet I will no longer need the machine someday. Will I be able to sleep without it. LOL

My sister in law was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and had some major struggles getting used to it also. With some encouragement she tried several masks and headgear sets till she found one she could live with. That helped her allot.

She also is allergic to all the masks but a solution I came up with for mine has allowed her to use hers now with no breakouts. Covering the mask part that touches your face with moleskin.

Its like anything else start small and slow and work your way into it. :)

thanks Telica for you reply I did use during nap today hopefully I will out grow it as I shrink

I also have sleep apnea and I took mine to the hospital and used it only at night. I would try using the nose mask - just fits into the nose holes - I am also claustrophobic (sp) and couldn't stand the others but I really like my new mask and have been able to wear it all night since day one.

I hope you find one that works for you because it makes you sleep and feel so much better.

I think it is normal to have some anxiety but I try not to worry about it too much - - have many other things to worry about. :)

Thanks SD Chick and everyone else who replied I just found out from my Doctor that I am slightly hyper thyroid so I know that is contributing to my post op anxiety.

So I have to lower my thyroid meds and wait for them to get out of my system.