Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What type of "diet plan" did your doc give you?

Hi. I was banded March 16, 2007. I have enjoyed following the boards. I went in for my 3rd fill yesterday. I had gained 5 pounds. (I think alot of that was Water, I started today) anyway, my doc asked if I was eating "diet food". I have been. He said the band would not work if I cont. to do this. He said you must eat Protein, and a good fat source at each meal and then veggies and cards. He said if I looked at labels only look at carbs and keep that in check.

What advice have ya'll been given?

Thanks.

Just to eat a healthy diet including all food groups. Advice that solid food should be eaten for best restriction. No food plan as such.

I think I'm probably lucky in that I was a bit of a carbaholic, but basically a healthy eater - my normal diet was healthy and well balanced because I'm feeding a family. So once I was able to cut out all the extras, I've lost well on what I normally based my diet on, in smaller quantities.

I guess I have readdressed the carb balance though - I still eat bread, rice, Pasta, cereals, potatoes. But I dont eat 4 slices of bread a day anymore. And I dont eat all those things in one day. But that's just kind of happened naturally, not becuase I was told to.

Thanks for your response. I have enjoyed reading your responses to other questions. You have had such great success. My doc wants us to get like "normal" people and not to diet. This is a life long habit that i am tryig to break and look were it got me. It is just hard.

Thanks.:)

All my surgeon says to me everytime i see him is..... SOLID Protein SOLID PROTEIN SOLID PROTEIN...... Also when i got the guidelines it said to avoid foods high in sugar/carb/fats... and meals with sauces (which sucks cause i love ketchup)

I was told high Protein and low carbs and low fat. I still cant understand the low carbs. What is good carbs and what is bad carbs. I don't feel I got a lot of good diet training.

Bad carbs is highly processed white carbs - sugar in other words. Donuts, white breads, white Pasta, too much starchy foods like potatoes and white rice. Basically low GI foods (glycaemic index) meaning they give you that sugar rush, are digested quickly and lead to an insulin rush.

Good carbs are low glycaemic index ones, brown foods - wholegrains, certain fruits, vegetables, etc.

There's no real consensus, proponents of the GI diet believe that eating only low GI foods has a similar effect to a high Protein diet in terms of fat loss and balancing blood sugar levels. I tend to believe it too - and it does have the major effect of weight loss, blood chemistry improvements AND its good for your bowels becuase its high fibre.

Anyway, I eat plenty of carbs and I"ve still lost weight, I just avoid high GI ones.

I tend to try to stay moderate on fat but I dont hold back on good fats like fish oils and avocado. I dont purposely buy low fat products becuase with things like yogurt and cheese, your body doesnt absorb the Calcium, Vitamin A and D as well without the fat, your body does need small amoutns of it. I drink skim milk because i prefer it but eat full fat yogurt and cheese (in small amounts).

I was told Protein first, then veggies, then carbs. Basically I was told to eat 1400 calories or less a day and my dietician even gave me a food pyramid that I should follow. I immediately lost it. But I meant to follow it. I try to get all the basic food groups it-- dairy and protein aren't a problem for me and carbs I can manage. And then fruit and veggies I can get in as Snacks. I don't know what you mean by diet food. I eat soy crisps. Thats because they are healthy and not too filling and I don't really like potatoe chips, etc. Some consider those diet foods. I also eat bronwies and ice cream. Some think those are anti diet foods. I like milk, oatmeal. I just eat. I try to eat well. Not too well, because I don't like that. Healthy isn't necessarily "diet" and even if something is a tradition diet food that doesn't mean you are in diet mode if you eat it. For example, I like 100 calorie pack foods usually (except their granola bars taste horrid In my opinion). Does that mean its diet food? What if I just like them and think its a cool way to help me keep track of what I eat, etc?

My doc says............. the ONLY thing you have to give up is white doughy bread........ that was it...... I am more low carb driven than he is or his staff.. but that is because EACH and eVERY time I've ever lost ANY weight its been eating Lower carbs.. I do agree with Jachut though... the good carbs and bad carbs, Glycemic Index definately make a difference.