Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi friends! well my Bariatric Bypass was Feb 10th, so here i am 9 days post-op, about to go back to work on Monday and I fear I might be eating (drinking) too much, taking in too many calories. I'm seeing people on here (I realize different programs and doctors and situations vary greatly) weeks post op eating 300 to 400 calories... wow!! So I'm taking in around 850 a day and getting in around 60 ounces of Water and walking or riding a bike between 20 and 30 minutes EVERY day. Now I'm down around 13 lbs +/- in the last week or so, I'm pleased. Sometimes I think reading people describing their situations can lead to me questioning myself and my program; you know what they say, A little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol...!!!

850 calories per day sounds on the high side, so what are you eating?

Hi friends! well my Bariatric Bypass was Feb 10th, so here i am 9 days post-op, about to go back to work on Monday and I fear I might be eating (drinking) too much, taking in too many calories. I'm seeing people on here (I realize different programs and doctors and situations vary greatly) weeks post op eating 300 to 400 calories... wow!! So I'm taking in around 850 a day and getting in around 60 ounces of Water and walking or riding a bike between 20 and 30 minutes EVERY day. Now I'm down around 13 lbs +/- in the last week or so, I'm pleased. Sometimes I think reading people describing their situations can lead to me questioning myself and my program; you know what they say, A little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol...!!!

You don't mention Protein at all.

Right now (and every day from here on out) your primary focus should be on getting enough Protein and fluids.

Are you following your post-op food program?

What is your protein target?

Are you getting AT LEAST that amount of protein every day?

Are you getting AT LEAST 64 oz. of Fluid?

Are you tracking your food so you know the answers to these questions?

Are you avoiding starches and added sugars?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed?

Are you cleared for exercise? Walking is great until you are cleared for me strenuous exercise.

It is very important that you follow your program.

If you are unclear about what you need to do, then ask your NUT. Even though it can be helpful to get an idea about what other people are doing, ultimately you need to follow your program.

thanks, I just saw in my program guide's fine print: these first 3 weeks should no more than 1200 calaories and no LESS than 800 calories, so I'm even on the low end of the range, damn!

So in answer to all those diet questions from INNER GIRL, the only thing I gotta do is raise Water intake around 10 oz.

I drink one Protein Shake with each meal (150 calories and 20 grams protein). SO I guess we're good, just got nervous

Pedro...hey buddy, so good to hear you are doing so well. I have no complaints either.

As far as exercising, I'm getting in 15 mins of exercise 3x a day and that's about all I can handle at the moment without getting winded. My exercise psychologist asked if I would try and get in 20 mins 3x per day starting next week. I'm certainly going to try...we'll see what happens.

Re the pounds, well I feel as though my weight is falling off slowly as well, but I'm excited about moving from a loose 2XL to a comfortable XL in shirts and sweaters. I'm not buying anything new, I just happen to have various sizes in my closet which range from medium to 2XL. I guess it's almost like shopping, but in my own closet. We will see how the suits, shirts and ties fit as I prepare to return to work. My wife is begging me to try on those items so I don't get frustrated by having the too big look when returning to work. I'm almost nervous to do that, but I have sizes from 44R to 52R in suits and 16 to 18 1/2 in shirts, so I'm thinking I will find something in between sizes that will look presentable. Lol.

Question for ya...when you say you "drink one Protein shake with each meal", what do you mean? Is the shake your meal or have you introduced other foods and having those with the shake?

I return to work Monday as well. I already have an all-day meeting in my calendar. I'm writing out my list of things to do for me and hope I can stay on track with the many things we have to focus on for optimal health.

@@DDN asked a good question -- are you drinking your Protein Shake WITH a meal? Or is that your meal? It is supposed to be a meal in itself and not with food. As I progressed, my NUT wanted me to cut back on the shakes and replace it with dense Protein like chicken.< /p>

And, I was also told to not count calories--just count grams of protein, carbs, fat. Mostly protein. It's easier than counting calories but just hard to get used to because we've been counting calories for so long.

That calorie intake this soon does sound too much but as others have said, be sure you are getting in your Protein and stop drinking 10-15 minutes before you eat and then wait 30 - 45 minutes after you eat to drink again.

For what it's worth, I am 8/12 months out and my NUT just told me this week that it was ok to increase calories to 1000-1200 calories. Most of my weight loss has been in the 700-800 calorie range and was much lower early out.

As everyone said, be sure to follow your NUT's program.

Hi folks, thank goodness you're here!!

No, the Protein shakes ARE my meals and I'm strict about stopping drinking liquids (Water, crystal light, ice tea) 30 min before and 30 min after, and a few times I'll expand that to 45 min after if I feel too full. This is only my 7th day out of hospital, where my intake of anything besides Water was negligible.

Some meals I will add another half cup (my protien shakes are 4 oz as well) of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth.

I loved the talk of clothes. I just piled up 5 sport coats I'll now be able to wear to work come Monday, I too will not buy anything new till summer, that's my vow to myself (and carrot), and luckily I have a lot of "thinner" clothing not worn in years.

No, I'm sticking to the very spelled out instructions from my surgeon very closely. I'm afraid to mess up.

My greatest hope is to somehow significantly change my relationship to food. Here goes nuttin!!!

As long as you are sticking to the guidelines set forth by YOUR nutritionist....you're doing exactly as you should.

My plan doesn't list calories as the focus. More so the carbs and portions (no more than 1/4 cup per serving in the period you are).

thanks, I just saw in my program guide's fine print: these first 3 weeks should no more than 1200 calaories and no LESS than 800 calories, so I'm even on the low end of the range, damn!

So in answer to all those diet questions from INNER GIRL, the only thing I gotta do is raise Water intake around 10 oz.

I drink one Protein shake with each meal (150 calories and 20 grams protein). SO I guess we're good, just got nervous

Seems like you doing good with your program specifics! I'm amazed you can bike ride-that's fantastic . I'm just on the Protein shakes, and allowed to have 1/4cup total of a few soft Protein items for 30days. After that check up, I will be allowed on to a small amount of vegetables and some fruit. Really glad your doing so well; it's like your the campaign poster for all to view and work towards . Keep up your great work, it's inspiring for people like me who are IMPATIENT to get the show on the road!

Pedro...hey buddy, so good to hear you are doing so well. I have no complaints either.

As far as exercising, I'm getting in 15 mins of exercise 3x a day and that's about all I can handle at the moment without getting winded. My exercise psychologist asked if I would try and get in 20 mins 3x per day starting next week. I'm certainly going to try...we'll see what happens.

Re the pounds, well I feel as though my weight is falling off slowly as well, but I'm excited about moving from a loose 2XL to a comfortable XL in shirts and sweaters. I'm not buying anything new, I just happen to have various sizes in my closet which range from medium to 2XL. I guess it's almost like shopping, but in my own closet. We will see how the suits, shirts and ties fit as I prepare to return to work. My wife is begging me to try on those items so I don't get frustrated by having the too big look when returning to work. I'm almost nervous to do that, but I have sizes from 44R to 52R in suits and 16 to 18 1/2 in shirts, so I'm thinking I will find something in between sizes that will look presentable. Lol.

Question for ya...when you say you "drink one Protein shake with each meal", what do you mean? Is the shake your meal or have you introduced other foods and having those with the shake?

I return to work Monday as well. I already have an all-day meeting in my calendar. I'm writing out my list of things to do for me and hope I can stay on track with the many things we have to focus on for optimal health.

Isn't that cool; shopping in ones own closet! I'm not there yet, but I'll be tickled when I can! Thanks for all the encouragement from yourself and EVERYONE who commented on my pain and recovery. It made a huge difference.

My pain is very much under control and I am decreasing pain meds to almost none as of today ! I am now walking more than before; I've walked my beagles, I've visited friends in my complex, and I've strolled out to listen to the beautiful birds singing!

Hope you find a good suit in your closet-you can model for your wife and she will give you an honest critique. We women get that .

Thanks, I can't wait to weigh myself this Wednesday at work on the nurse's scale....