Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A1C Hey everyone, I applied for life insurance a couple weeks ago. After fasting overnight the med tech came to my home and took blood for the application. Today I got a phone call telling me that I was denied because my AC1 was 7.4 and it should be 4-5 ? I looked online and it sounds like I could be diabetic. Can someone tell me more? Thank you

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal

Edited by ACV

Yes, when your a1c crosses 6 I believe you are considered to have type 2 diabetes. You should follow up with You PCP

Yup. It's an A1c >= 6.1. I can't remember, but also I think if your fasting blood sugar is above 100 they'll diagnose you as well. I had both so... ;)

Yes, when your a1c crosses 6 I believe you are considered to have type 2 diabetes. You should follow up with You PCP

@@dhrguru I have an appointment with my Dr on the 24th for blood work because she put me on diet pills three weeks ago. Thank you

Are you pre or post op? I'm surprised she put you on any type of med without taking a look at your blood work first.

@@dhrguru I am pre op. You know that is kinda what I was thinking. As soon as I hung up the phone with the Life insurance company. I've seen her for 7+ years and I don't remember her having blood work done other than my INR.

Diabetes (according to NIH) is A1c > 6.5, fasting glucose > 126.

Prediabetes A1c 5.7-6.5, fasting glucose 100-125

Normal A1c is 5 or less, fasting glucose < 100.

The PCP's I work with are encouraged to check an A1c annually for any of their patients who have had a fasting glucose > 100 or who have other predisposing factors for diabetes, including obesity, sedentary lifestyle, and/or family history of diabetes. My A1c had crept up from 5.7 to 6.1, and that's a huge part of why I started considering a sleeve.

Sorry I put AC1 instead of A1C like I said, I don't know much. I just didn't consider I might have diabetes. I don't get sick when I eat sweets. I always have had problems with low sugar. If I exercise or don't eat on occasion I've gotten really sick, sweating, weak and passing out. Then I'd eat something sweet or drink juice and I'd feel better but usually down for several hours after. I have one brother that was the same way and then I have my Mom and one sister that were/are diabetic. Another good reason to have WLS. Thank you for the information.

Edited by ACV

I bet after you are sleeved that A1C comes down. Have it drawn every 3 months as it is an average blood sugar. As you lose weight it should decrease