Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings to all!

I'm soooo at the beginning of this journey (although I feel like I've been on it forever!).

I have my orientation at the surgical center on Sept 11. Already have my PCP referral and checked w/insurance. Problem (possible problem) is that my BMI is 36, so I'm not automatic. I'm very concerned about not making the grade. I have been on diets and exercise programs and beating myself up for about 17 years now, and I've had about enough. It's clear to ME this is the right path, now let's just hope my ins feels the same way.

I did a little weight diary of the various methods I've tried. Made me VERY sad. SUCH a huge amount of energy I've put into it, and I'm as big as I've ever, ever been. My knees and hip are painful. I'm winded just walking at 2.8 mph on the treadmill. I wake up constantly at night (I'm thinking sleep apnea - almost hoping for it - I have a Dr appt next Mon about it, and if I'm diagnosed w/it I'll be a better candidate for the band....how insane is it that I'm hoping to be as sick as possible? nuts.). I want to be active but I jsut struggle so much. I took dance lessons, learned to ice skate, bought roller blades, go biking - but I'm too big to maintain any kind of momentum and feel huge, unwieldy, and worry about major injury.

Anyway, enough whining. I'm happy to be here and see so many others on the same path. I look forward to getting to know you!

Hi:

Where are you going to have your surgery? I am having mine on 8/13 at NYU. There are other considerations when your BMI is not morbidly obese. sleep Apnea, Diabetes, and things like that. They are called co-morbidities. You should be ok though as long as your doctor monitors you and puts you on a supervised diet for a min. of 6 months.

Oh, good luck to you!!! Very exciting. I'll be thinking of you, and I'll be interested in how you're feeling as it gets closer (REALLLL close!!) and your recovery time.

I'll be at Ellis in Albany. I'm so looking forward to it. I just finished reading the book "Is Weight Loss Surgery for You?" and took notes of the comorbidities that I have or think I have. I'll be at my PCP next week for evaluation, and I'm hoping they can connect the dots for me. Some of my aches, pains, and complaints have been with me so long I didn't even attribute them to obesity (I still waffle on thinking of myself as obese, but the numbers continue to insist! Some days I feel lithe and lovely, then I'll see a pic of myself and plunge into body disgust. Can't wait to be done w/the rollercoaster).

I've been travelling today, and my knees are killing me. Normally, this would bother me, but today I'm pleased because it reminds me why I started this journey... :)

BESDT of luck to you!! I'll be out of the country that day, but I'll look for your updates when I return.

;)

~NY Trink

I'm in Upsate, and I'll be banded in Albany. Dr. Clarke is the one so far, unless they refer me to someone else. :)

My date is Aug 27th with Dr. Panemanglore from Dr. Clarke's Office. But Ellis Hospital is in Schenectady not Albany.

How are you making out with your tests? Right now I'm having problems with low Vitamin D and low pO2 in my blood gases so I have other appointments added now. :blink:

jacci

Hi, Jacci!

My road was a long one to getting banded - I finally got it on March 17 of this year, after numerous arguments w/CDPHP. I had to have my gall bladder out first, too, since they found stones, so that pushed me back as well.

All good now,though - Dr Clarke did a great job on the incisions - four have faded nearly away already, and the port one is getting better each week (I had an extra incision from the gall bladder op). My test numbers are still a little off - I was anemic before, and I'm anemic now. Better numbers, but still low. I can't wait to get some of the other numbers back, though - I feel like I've been doing better, and I'm working to get my supplements in. I understand that Calcium and vit D work together, so maybe try upping both for supps now to get your blood work in line. Not sure about the gasses though - maybe deep breathing exercises? Have they recommended anything for you to do or take to improve your numbers?

I'm busy getting fills now to get to the right level. I'm not quite at optimum restriction, so I still get hungrier than I'd like. Haven't lost a lot yet, but that's my doing, not the band's.

I wish you ALL the best - keep me posted as you get closer. Hang in there on those tests...it seems like forever, and LOTS of needle sticks, but it is SO worth it all.

I am just embarking on this journey and have CDPHP. I am 100lbs overweight and have a BMI of 40. I have no co-morbidites that are documentated. In your experience am I in for the run-around from cdphp?

You might be okay if you've hit 40 BMI - that seemed to be their biggest obstacle in my case. I have comorbidities, but none they considered immediately life-threatening (sleep hypopnea rather than apnea, high cholesterol but ok BP, that kind of thing). Their big complaint was that I had too low of a BMI. I had to show them the history of my weight and get a letter from my primary doc stating that I had a big struggle in even staying where I was BMI-wise, and that w/in 6 mo or so they could expect that I'd be re-applying with a BMI of at least 40. That finally got them to ok me.

I think you'll be ok, but I do wish you luck just in case. Keep me posted!

It has been hard since CDPHP is not a huge ins. company. If you don't mind my asking. . .did they cover it all? When I called there 1-800# they said lap-band was not covered at all. . . is this one of those the doc (surgeon) needs to call on your behalf?

They covered everything except the stnd co-pays, the medifast pre-op diet, and the pre-surgical testing by my primary care dr (only about $200).

it's new that they cover it, though - I think it just started last fall or around there. There's a specific code for the procedure and another one for fills - it's all been covered, though.

I found that not everyone there "got" the lap band concept. Kept calling it gastric bypass. I had to CONTINUALLY correct them, telling them it was adjustable gastric banding. I think it's just new to them.

I've got to be honest. . .I am terrified at hearing the word no. I am 26 years old. I have been obese since the 2nd grade or so. I have tried every diet. Last year I worked with trainer and counted calories and after 9 months of hard work and thousands of dollars, I had only lost a total of 24 lbs. which went up and down the entire 9 months. I never thought of myself as a candidate for this surgery. . .But my numbers tell a different story. . .as you had mentioned. I just need help. Sorry for venting soo much.

their rules for coverage of gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding. That way they should realize that you are talking about two things, but it should also be similar. Since medicare started to cover banding, most insurances do now too. But there are also many different versions of CDPHP also. So check yours. But get it in writing.

You may have things that aren't documented, but if you have some they can get documented. Some of the tests may find things that you don't even realize you have. Just take things one step at a time.

BTW, don't worry about venting, we all have to at some point... and... we all know how being fat sucks!!! so you are in the right place!!:(

jacci