Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Best Food Swap?

There are a lot of foods you can’t eat after surgery. It could be that you’re intolerant to it, like some sleeve patients can’t tolerate meat for a while post-op. Or it could be that it makes you sick, like sweets and fried foods can give gastric bypass patients dumping syndrome. Or it could be something like popcorn, where the kernels can hurt band patients. Or, it could be anything that’s too high-calorie or unhealthy to fit into your post-op diet.

Which foods do you miss the most from the old days, and how do you substitute for them? Do you have healthier recipes, like eggplant lasagna instead of regular? Do you have different foods to serve the same purpose, like munching on bell peppers instead of potato chips when you’re at home? Share your swaps!

Pre-op patients can weigh in, too – there’s definitely a good chance you’re giving up a lot of foods even before surgery as you get ready!

I miss pizza!!! But I make homemade pizza using a zucchini crust. I also do mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, I use non fat creek yogurt anytime something calls for sour cream or cream cheese. I also make veggie Pasta, and I use ground turkey anytime you would use ground beef.

Greek yogurt blended with ricotta, vanilla, and sweetener gives me the taste and texture of vanilla ice cream and does a lot less damage.

Greek yogurt blended with ricotta, vanilla, and sweetener gives me the taste and texture of vanilla ice cream and does a lot less damage.

I am going to have to try this!

I really miss bread but I try to substitute it for other things. Like instead of just a regular Philly steak I make Philly steak stuffed bell peppers.

I do miss bread, Pasta, pizza. Occasionally, I use egg roll wrappers as a Pizza Crust. I don't do it much because of the carbs, but when I'm craving it it hits the spot.

Thanks for all your replies! @@MissMac, do you freeze the mixture completely? Does it stay soft like ice cream, or does it freeze like ice? It sounds really good!

@@Katnroyal, How interesting! I’ve heard of cauliflower crust for pizza, but not zucchini crust. How do you make it?

I’m with you in missing bread and the starchy foods. It’s hard to keep them to a reasonable serving, so I try to stay away, or I’ll have them as part of a healthy meal with plenty of veggies and Protein to make sure I only have a little.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches