Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe a late stage complication?

@@CBT fingers crossed for an easy to fix diagnosis! Keep us updated.

Soooo tired. Initial results are erosive gastritis caused by NSAID. My surgeon also did a biopsy and that takes 2 weeks. There has been some question if I have celiacs.

Treatment is like they treat an ulcer. So stay on the 2 Acid blockers and prescription sucralafate for 2 months. Follow up in 2 weeks.

I'm so grateful it's not more sever or requiring surgery.

I'm also immensely grateful for this community because really only you can empathize.

Thanks for letting us know what's going on. Hope you feel better SOON!

Question: Did you continue to take NSAIDs post-op?

(Pre-op I took 2 Aleve daily for so many years I can't even remember how long it was. But I stopped about 4 months pre-op and haven't taken any since VSG surgery 18 months ago.)

I am cleared by my surgeon to take NSAIDs. I have taken them on and off with no problems. Not anymore, though.

This likely occurred because I have been on high doses since 12/14 for a knee injury. Even though they started me on Prilosec to try and prevent it. So, not specific to the sleeve because they way the surgeons are explaining it, anyone on these high doses over long period of time runs the risk of ulcer, or in my case, stomach lesions.

Does this help?

Grumble grumble grumble. Yesterday, My PCP took me off Prilosec and Zantac and started Protonix with the consent of WL surgeon.

So I've had only 2 doses but I have a screaming headache all day. Anyone take Protonix and have this as a side effect?

Soooo tired. Initial results are erosive gastritis caused by NSAID. My surgeon also did a biopsy and that takes 2 weeks. There has been some question if I have celiacs.

Treatment is like they treat an ulcer. So stay on the 2 Acid blockers and prescription sucralafate for 2 months. Follow up in 2 weeks.

I'm also immensely grateful for this community because really only you can empathize.

I am cleared by my surgeon to take NSAIDs. I have taken them on and off with no problems. Not anymore, though.

This likely occurred because I have been on high doses since 12/14 for a knee injury. Even though they started me on Prilosec to try and prevent it. So, not specific to the sleeve because they way the surgeons are explaining it, anyone on these high doses over long period of time runs the risk of ulcer, or in my case, stomach lesions.

Does this help?

I am prescribed an aspirin a day. One regular. I try to eat something around the same time. I choose an intaric (not sure of spelling...) coating... How much do you consider high dose? I have been doing this with the sleeve from the beginning 5 years ago.

I was taking 600mg, sometimes 800, every 6 hours that I was awake for 2 1/2 months.

Prior to that, I've been on and off that dose since the original injury in August.

In December, the doctor added 20mg Prilosec in an attempt to prevent an ulcer.

Now, just this week, my potassium is low. Maybe from the Prilosec but waiting to hear about that. It happened really fast.

I the meantime, I'm taking a long weekend to go play!

Saw pictures of my internal sleeve today. Whoa was that an angry sleeve! Bright red with inflammation.

So much better now. Follow up in July for my 4 year anniversary!

Lots of props from my surgeon on maintaining my weight loss over these years. :)

She did say I will be able to take NSAIDs again but very short term and smaller doses. Headache, fever, etc. IDK if I will. This was pretty awful.

She also said when she was a resident in the emergency dept, she had a case of a guy on Advil for one week who developed a perforated ulcer :-0

Does this help?

I am prescribed an aspirin a day. One regular. I try to eat something around the same time. I choose an intaric (not sure of spelling...) coating... How much do you consider high dose? I have been doing this with the sleeve from the beginning 5 years ago.

When I used to go to my surgeon's bariatric support group, one meeting a post op sleeve patient stood up and tearfully told her story- she had been taking an aspirin a day for cardiovascular health, and ended up in critical care for a perforated ulcer. She confronted our surgeon in front of God and everyone because she had told him that she was taking the aspirin and he didn't advise her not to. She was basically trying to shame him publicly for what she had to deal with. While it was really awkward to listen to in that forum, I never forgot the lesson!

When I used to go to my surgeon's bariatric support group, one meeting a post op sleeve patient stood up and tearfully told her story- she had been taking an aspirin a day for cardiovascular health, and ended up in critical care for a perforated ulcer. She confronted our surgeon in front of God and everyone because she had told him that she was taking the aspirin and he didn't advise her not to. She was basically trying to shame him publicly for what she had to deal with. While it was really awkward to listen to in that forum, I never forgot the lesson!

What did your and her surgeon have to say for himself?

Not much! He just kind of politely shut her down. I do know that he was adamant with me from our first meeting on that all NSAIDS were off the menu forevermore. So I guess he was trying to not make the same mistake twice.

If I don't take an aspirin, I will have to move to blood thinners... also a risk there.... Whats a girl to do. I was told that the sleeve is the least problematic surgery if you take NSAIDS, although not great...

I think that while there is some risk, it's a low risk and you are doing everything by enteric coating, drinking Water and eating.

It's also a manageable condition but hella painful and inconvenient.

All of my doctors have said that taking NSAIDs will be an option for me in the future.

Not much! He just kind of politely shut her down. I do know that he was adamant with me from our first meeting on that all NSAIDS were off the menu forevermore. So I guess he was trying to not make the same mistake twice.

Hopefully, that was a learning moment for HIM.