Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery Jan25 & I keep thinking to myself, "what have I done" I hurt so bad, I can only consumes liquids spoonfuls at a time, & I don't even want them. Im sick of Soup and Protein Shakes. It takes me the entire day to finish a Protein Drink. I'm craving bread.. Omg bread, when will I ever eat bread again? And pasta!? ???? There are parts of my day that I feel like I screwed up, like maybe I'm just not meant to be in shape and healthy. It's like I have post-surgical depression, I'm just miserable. ????

It gets better. You're still in the sore/hurting/swollen, difficult part.

The bread/pasta thing is head hunger. You're craving comfort foods because that's what you did before when you were upset/feeling bad/whatever.

But you should also tell yourself that having bread/pasta isn't going to fix things... they are part of the problems that got you to this point in the first place. Think of this time like you're detoxing from a really bad drug addiction; a drug user is going to wildly crave the drug they're trying to kick and it's going to seem like the most wonderful amazing thing and why oh why can't they just have a little bit...

But it will get better. And maybe eventually, you could have a little bread or small serving of Pasta. But stop glorifying them and telling yourself you have made a mistake and miss these things and pine away with the wanting of them. They are not good for you, and they aren't going to help you.

Stay strong, remember that this time is going to be just a tiny blip on your journey and you're going to be happy and healthy soon. Good luck!!

It'll get better. I'm only 7 weeks out but I so relate to your feelings. It's definitely a scary and vulnerable place to be. I just started more solid foods this week and I'm seeing light at the end of this tunnel.

My advice would be: pay attention to those food wants during this time. They're obviously not tied to need or to real hunger. It's a head thing.

What do those foods do for you emotionally? What is driving the desire? Is it anxiety about something? Boredom? Fear?

Those impulses won't go away unless we deal with their roots. How can we replace food in that equation with an alternate healthy coping mechanism? This is a good season to start working on these things.

Courage!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wwboy

@wwboy@FrankiesGirl These two posts contain such good advise and wisdom.

What THEY said!

Good info...to add it will get better you have to adjust im 6 weeks out and i went through same thing even cried bc i wanted to eat, but couldnt. The smell of foods made me want to eat but i knww my stomach could not handle. It will get better, i cant eat anything sweet bc my stomach wont let me

I think everyone goes through this phase. I know I did. It wasn't immediate but like 2 weeks in I was like OH MY GOD THIS IS PERMANENT... for some reason it just hit me. haha. I'm over that now, and realize that this is a life changing, freaking amazing, life SAVING even procedure that I am so lucky to have had. Keep your chin up, it all get's better!!

They really need to send us home with morphine, I had to use a walker for 2 weeks, and I felt the same way I was angry that I even had the surgery, it took me 2 months to even hold down shakes, and Vitamins, I have been going to IV treatments, to protect my kidneys, no one told me about this part, and the taking a bit of food every 6 to 10 minutes is crazy, I would have never done the surgery had I known that, I hope you don't go through what I did, feel better and best of luck

I had surgery the same day believe me you are not alone! I'm going through the exact same thing! Hopefully it will get better

i am in the same boat as my surgery was the 27th. i am so beyond sick of nasty liquids that i broke down in tears today. i don't regret the surgery but i just can't deal with all this nastiness for 9 more days! liquids are hard to get in and i have to start Protein back tomorrow so its just going to get worse. :( praying this next little bit goes quickly. i am not craving my fav comfort foods but simply anything!!! mostly a scrambled egg or some Beans sounds amazing. I've been feeling much better the past few days but today was miserable. i feel so weak and i know once i can get something in i will feel much better!!!

i am in the same boat as my surgery was the 27th. i am so beyond sick of nasty liquids that i broke down in tears today. i don't regret the surgery but i just can't deal with all this nastiness for 9 more days! liquids are hard to get in and i have to start Protein back tomorrow so its just going to get worse. :( praying this next little bit goes quickly. i am not craving my fav comfort foods but simply anything!!! mostly a scrambled egg or some Beans sounds amazing. I've been feeling much better the past few days but today was miserable. i feel so weak and i know once i can get something in i will feel much better!!!

I'm only 2 days ahead of you but I tell you it gets better!!! Keep up on the liquids and I KNOW they suck. It is just now starting to feel normal to me to take a drink every few minutes. They sent me home with a book full of liquid recipes, there is one, Peanut Butter, milk, 1/2 banana, scoop of Protein and some ice in a blender that actually tastes great!! Stay strong !

Some of the BEST words I've received since surgery ❤️ thank you.

It gets better. You're still in the sore/hurting/swollen, difficult part.

The bread/pasta thing is head hunger. You're craving comfort foods because that's what you did before when you were upset/feeling bad/whatever.

But you should also tell yourself that having bread/pasta isn't going to fix things... they are part of the problems that got you to this point in the first place. Think of this time like you're detoxing from a really bad drug addiction; a drug user is going to wildly crave the drug they're trying to kick and it's going to seem like the most wonderful amazing thing and why oh why can't they just have a little bit...

But it will get better. And maybe eventually, you could have a little bread or small serving of Pasta. But stop glorifying them and telling yourself you have made a mistake and miss these things and pine away with the wanting of them. They are not good for you, and they aren't going to help you.

Stay strong, remember that this time is going to be just a tiny blip on your journey and you're going to be happy and healthy soon. Good luck!!

Some of the best words of encouragement ❤️ thank you

It'll get better. I'm only 7 weeks out but I so relate to your feelings. It's definitely a scary and vulnerable place to be. I just started more solid foods this week and I'm seeing light at the end of this tunnel.

My advice would be: pay attention to those food wants during this time. They're obviously not tied to need or to real hunger. It's a head thing.

What do those foods do for you emotionally? What is driving the desire? Is it anxiety about something? Boredom? Fear?

Those impulses won't go away unless we deal with their roots. How can we replace food in that equation with an alternate healthy coping mechanism? This is a good season to start working on these things.

Courage!!

I have the same feelings especially when I see a tv commercial but I find cooking the things I want since I cook for three other ppl at home and smelling it helps to not want it weird right lol I had my surgery the 28th of Jan and I just love it I can tell I've already lost some in.!! I'm going today to get all my stuff to make shakes ! And my yogurts n such and baby food (yuck) but I wish u so much luck !!

so - aside from tired of liquids.... how sick/in pain should i be expecting after surgery next week?

I thought i had read 2-3 days of aches....

i am already cranky- sounding like i should warn my husband that the next 2-3 weeks will suck!

I am tired a lot i have been on liquid diet for 10 days (down 15 punds)

I am cranky- not sure if stress or because i am tired.... poor husband...

what is the next month going to look like? My daughter is coming home to stay with me- I was picturing mother daugh.. now thinking she will have an invalid to look after?

Details please of what to expect (pre-op visit is thursday so i can ask my doc too!)

Well w my surgery they got me up right after I came to and had me walk all I can say is walk walk walk it makes u feel so much better I'm at day 4 post op and I started Protein Shakes today and puree like baby food three meals and just ea till ur satisfied I won't say full just satisfied by week four u can eat whatever but I'm gonna stick w no sugars and small proportions :) my husband has had it in for him too I'm just cranky it's normal!