Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shake-need help!

I have never liked Protein Shakes and it sounds like they are pretty much required before and after surgery. I can't stand the chalky and artificial taste. Any recommendations? I really want to find something and start a diet now. Please help!!!!!

I like Unjury shake mix (have to buy online) along with Body Lab.You can also buy clear Protein Shakes, ready made. They avoid the chalky feeling and taste but are expensive. If you look there is a thread here about companies giving free or low cost shake mixes so you can try their product out. You can also often find deals on samples like that on ebay.I wish you good luck finding a brand (or more) that you like and with your upcoming surgery.

Check out Syntrax Nectar. They are more like koolaid rather than a milkshake. Isopure is also like koolaid, but I didn't like the taste of them at all (plenty of others like them, though) As for the other shakes, diluting them 1/2 and 1/2 with milk or using more liquid than what the powder instructions say can really help with the texture. Torani and Dasani syrups can help with the flavor.

I buy the premade premier Protein. They are pretty good. If you're allowed Decaf, I recommend adding some instant decaf to the vanilla (yum) or even adding the shake directly to your cup of decaf instead of cream and sugar! I added about a third of the shake in mine and it was really tasty.

I also second the Syntrax Nectars. They had a deal where you could get a sample pack (15 packs) for about $16-17 with shipping. One per household.

My favorite is Premier Protein ready to drink shakes. Low carb, low fat and high Protein (30g). For powders I use Precision Engineered whey Protein Isolate. They are really good! If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you, they sell samples. Or BariatricPantry.com has lots of samples. Try some of those before you commit to a large tub and know that your taste could change post-op (though mine didn't). I am almost 8 months post-op and still drink 1 Premier Protein shake per day.

Oh and try some sugar free syrups from Torani or DaVinci to add to the shakes. My favorite is Salted Caramel. There are loads of flavors. These really help.

Thank you so much for the advice. I truly appreciate it.

Nashuanutrition.com also sells a lot of different samples, too. I tried dozens to find my 6-8 favorites....palatibility is highly variable,

Let me tell you, I was so dismayed at the thought of these shakes. I'm on day five of my pre-op diet and I can hands down give a seal of approval to Bariatric Advantage high Protein Meal Replacement shake in vanilla AND in Cookies and cream. I make mine with a lot of ice Water and *drum roll* cocoa powder. Omg, the stuff actually tastes good. The cocoa powder is approved by my nutritionist, just make sure you get cocoa powder not nestles hot cocoa mix or Ovaltine or something like that. Play around with it and you too will be a believer! 9 more days!!! (Oh and these are the meal replacement ones, there are all different types of course)

I just purchased my supplies today. I got a sample pack last week and tried all the flavors. I chose chocolate and strawberry. I just use cold Water to mix them and then use the shaker cup supplied with the sample pack. I really like the taste of these shakes. I shake them up quite a bit and have had absolutely no chalky taste. I am using Bariatric Advantage. I would highly recommend it.

I read so many reviews and got nitro tech from Amazon. It was horrendous. I've also tried isagenix too. I am so scared I'm going to ruin my chance because I can't tolerate them. I'll keep looking and pray I find something I can tolerate.

Syntrax Nectars in any of the fruit flavors... and mix it with Water. It has extremely good nutrition stats too: 24 g Protein, 100 calories, 0 carbs, and 0 sugar. It is also whey Protein Isolate, which is what is recommended for us.

I love the Bariatric Advantage chocolate and strawberry shakes. I found that, if you add the Water to the shaker cup first, then add the Protein and shake it up really well, they come out smooth and very tasty.

The sugar free syrups are a must! Also, post op i also add sugar free pudding mix. It cuts down the Protein taste from the powder. I did the Premier Protein before surgery and liked it but after I could barely drink it.