Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"But you're so young" and other things that piss me off.

I am 27, was just sleeved on 12/28. I have had a ton of people be supportive and that's great! (I tell everyone, no hiding it.. I even have an instagram dedicated to it!) My surgeon even used my age as one of the reasons he thought I'd be so successful. Easier recovery, etc.

My problem comes from a select group of people who seem to think that because I'm SO YOUNG (which btw.. is 27 even that young, news to me). They ask me why I would take this step at this age, why not wait until longer and see if I couldn't do it on my own (like I didn't try that, thanks for such great advice!).

I'm also not married, and someone had the audacity to ask me what guys would think of my saggy skin... well hell IDK what did they think of my fat? I've never had issues finding a date... so thanks but no thanks.

Then comes the "well you know you can't have kids right away" (my surgeon says 2 years). Considering I'm not married or in a serious relationship, and the fact that I'M NOT EVEN SURE I WANT KIDS this shouldn't be a problem!

I know I should just ignore these people and tell them to shove it, it really hurts my feelings some times. Just today a girl posted a before/after on Facebook and said "did this work the natural way, no pills or surgery for me!". That really hurt. This choice isn't easy. I feel like that was directed toward me.

End of rant.

Anyone else feel the same?

Just turned 23 a couple of days ago. I have been overweight my WHOLE life! I was really active when I was younger but once I stopped playing basketball in 8th grade, the weight really piled on. Since then I've tried Slimfast, Nutrisystem, pills, etc. I would lose some weight but then gain it all back. I'm now in the process of my 6 month weight loss period. I'm looking forward to the end.

My dad and stepmom are totally against me getting the surgery. My stepmom has told me negative things like "you'll always be big no matter what". And my dad brings up mortality with getting surgery in general. He also told me I need to work out and eat less(which I've tried). My stepmom is over 300 pounds overweight so I think she doesn't want me to lose weight because she will still be big. Her cousin got the bypass surgery 10 years ago and looks great! I think she is jealous and envious of the both of us.

Lucky for me a recent situation has caused me to cut both my dad and stepmom out of my life forever! ????

You know, if people lose the weight on their own, then power to them. Awesome. It takes commitment and sacrifice and dedication. I truly admire that. Unfortunately, not always, but in most cases those people gain it back. How many times do we see on this forum statements like: "I lost a 100 pounds and gained all back, and then some." They get stuck in that yo-yo dieting--a life of gaining and losing. Which is horrible for our bodies, metabolism and quality of life. Again, for those who take it off, completely change their life style and keep it off, I am in awe of them and super proud of their accomplishment.

However, for many of us that isn't the case. We tried and failed, tried and failed, and we tried and failed again. It is hard to erase a lifetime of habits, even if you're in your twenties. I wish I had taken this step in my twenties. To feel the quality of life that I now feel. The surgery was like a reset: a reset to my metabolism, my taste buds, the quantity I could eat. With that reset, I was better able to unlearn old ugly habits, pick up new healthy habits, and thus change my lifestyle. In essence, the sleeve gave me the opportunity to control the QUANTITY of food I intake. While I--me, myself and I, NOT the sleeve--taught myself QUALITY: the quality of eating a diverse array of healthy foods, the quality of eating small meals every 3 hours, the quality of exercising and activating my body for better performance and endurance. All of those things I DID. NOT the sleeve. The sleeve was the "tool" that got me there.

We do not and should not EVER apologize for that. Not one prescription or method works for all. The "natural" way did not work for us and our very lives, our livelihoods,our quality of life suffered for it. So, let them say they lost it the natural way. Let them compliment themselves or others. Agree with them, because that is awesome and it deserves to be acknowledged. But NEVER forget that our way was just as tedious--if not, more so because of the drastic change and toll the sleeve takes on our lives and body. NEVER forget that the sleeve may have been a jump start, but everything else in between is YOU. It is US. It is our efforts, our trials, our failures, our successes. We did that. Not the sleeve.

So, pick your head up sweetie. Because everyone of us here, knows better. Your efforts are validated. Your journey is validated. Your decision is validated. Don't let ANYONE knock you down.

...okay, stepping off my soap box.

This is awesome!

Isn't it something like 80% of people gain the weight that they lost, back?

Maybe it's even 90%...

Either way - I know it's a small percentage of people that keep it off by doing it the "natural" way.

So most likely your sister will gain it back, or at least some/most of it. The odds are kinda against her.

So when (or if) that happens, you'll still be small, healthy and happy.

Who knows, maybe then she will look into surgery!

You didn't waste years with yet another yo-yo.

You are smart to nip this in the bud now.. why wait?

I wish I did my WLS in my 20's, it would've saved me many years of being uncomfortable in my own skin, being ashamed, humiliation, pain, and who knows what else!

You're doing what's right for YOU and your future self and health. Doesnt it make more sense to do it now verses years down the road when you're way older and lost out on so much stuff due to your weight?

At least now you don't (or may not) have weight related issues.... yet.... why wait until you develop these issues and then deal with your weight?!

Think of all the misery and money you're gonna save by not getting obesity related health problems!

This is a very responsible grown up decision, a decision a 27 year old is very capable of making!

Good for you and good luck to you!

Edited by heather5565

I am 27 I had mine done Jan 26 and I have no regrets at all I have hypo thyroidism I went from 125 pounds to 225 in like 2 months BC it was so out of whack then I had two kids and was married my highest weight was 261 I am now at 240 in only three weeks!! I've never been so happy w it my parents were very supportive and I even got into a gym because the excess skin I do not want that at all :) my surgery went great he said it was textbook I had a little reaction to the sturry strips but no infection nothing I missed for for about a week and then I got OK w it ! Im so glad y'all divided to do it it is so life changing ! I feel 100% better already @lesleslosinit ur surgery was two days after mine

I'm also 27 and having the sleeve done in 3 weeks. I have held off telling everyone because I do not care to hear any opinions before the surgery but I have told quite a few people. Nearly everyone is ecstatic for me. After the surgery I'm going to be open and honest and we will see. I've been fat my whole life, if I could do this on my own I would have done it in my teenage years or kept off what I lost before college. I know this sounds horrible but I'm glad I'm kind of a bitch I think it will deter people from making their negative comments. I'm all about educating people though and will share the (surgery) gospel with whoever is interested.

I think the thing you really have to keep in mind is people will always have something to say. There will always be people that are negative and don't support you but you have to focus on what's right for you and those who support you. People fail with wls, so if you succeed that was your doing. Like people always say it's a tool, how well it works is up to the person using it.

Hi :) I am 24, had gastric sleeve done 2 years ago in Mexico. My parents were all supportive... they have since gone to the same clinic and gotten it done themselves so now 4/5 of my immediate family have had the surgery... but its my grandparents and coworkers that gave me more of a hard time. I also had friends stop hanging out with me and telling me I gotta "quit losing weight or we will be the same size", like every friend group has to have the token fat friend or something and they didnt want it to be them....

anyway... Ya I have lost 100 pounds, gained back 10 after I developed gall stones and stopped dieting and started eating solely foods that would not set off attacks (majority of which were carbs). But Im starting to get back into the weight loss mindframe :) wish me luck haha

also what was the instragram?