Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else have a huge dog that loves them so much its painful?

We have a 1 year old golden retriever that loves us so much and she is very well behaved but every once in a while she gets a little anxious and tries to body tackle or hug me. This can happen if I am sitting too because she tries to get in my chair but of course she doesn't fit. Don't get me wrong she is very well behaved but these incidents happen. Since I am on blood thinners I can get some great bruises when this happens and I do worry that this could be a problem when I first come home after surgery. Does anyone else have this problem. I also have 5 other dogs( chihuahuas and yorkie ) and 3 cats that I have to feed and take care of but my golden is the only one that can affect me physically.

Just call me the crazy pet lady!

I'd ask Dub. He had the same problem, but I don't think his dog buddies were as well behaved.

i believe dub has schnauzers :) i will tell you that you will not want a dog or anything else on your stomach for a little while. it will be sore for a few days, then you will want to be careful not to be 'run over' by your furbaby as to not cause damage. laying on you will not cause trouble, just being 'hit' in the stomach could be troublesome. anytime i have had surgery of any kind my dogs always seemed to sense something was going on. they were small and not overly active so i really didnt have much to worry about. golden retrievers are so smart :) precious animals.

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry. I've had two Goldens and they're so attuned to their humans that they really know when something isn;'t right with you physically.

Our first Golden was a moose of a dog, 27-1/2" high at the shoulder. He and DSD adored one another and she regularly greeted him with enough enthusiasm that roughhousing resulted. She had surgery on her wrist & her mom was concerned that the dog might bump into it. DSD came in the door from the surgery. He walked over, sniffed very delicately at the wrappings on her arm, and sat at her feet, wagging his tail. This same dog was an absolute angel when I broke my right arm and had pins in it for six weeks. He never left my side, unless I said "move".

Our current Golden was wonderful with DSD when she had her wisdom teeth out recently. He didn't tackle her. He was very polite, and made sure he stayed close by her for the weekend she stayed with us.

I think they smell changes in our body chemistry when we're stressed or hurt and they respond extra gently - at least, the Goldens I've known have done.

They are really wonderful animals and you're probably right. I know that when my 6 month old great grandchild visited at Thanksgiving I was amazed how gentle she was around him. She seemed to know that she should not be rough. Thanks for the pep talk.@ @2goldengirl

Now I know what your name means!

Edited by MIMISAN

Yes, I have a 70 lb bulldog that thinks she's a 7 lb lapdog. We actually both fit in the chair together now!! I took two weeks off from work, flew to California, had surgery and stayed with my in-laws while my parents cared for my dogs. That gave me enough time to recover.

Now I'm concerned with recovery for plastic surgery which will be at least four weeks. I'm considering staying at my parent's home for the four weeks because my husband does not do well with stitches, blood and drains. He can care for the dogs at home. Momma can take care of helping me shower and change bandages. We only live 10 minutes away so he can come visit me during the day.

@KristenVSG2014 That sounds like a good idea.

My German shepherd is not a jumper. However, I am owned by two cats, both of whom believe it is of the utmost necessity to jump on my stomach and check me out if they think I'm not feeling well. Now, for those who don't have cats, they are capable of changing their mass at will, exerting the force to crush diamonds in one dainty paw.

In other words, I grok you.

I have a 60 pound golden doodle who acts as if she is a teacup poodle. She loves to "hug" me by jumping up and putting her paws on my boobs and her head against my chest.

She didn't even bump into me gently for about three weeks post op. She knew. :D

Aren't animals amazing that they can sense when we are hurt or sick or something isn't right. I don't have any dogs but a blind coworker has a guide dog. When she came back from training with the dog the first time the dog met me I was on my scooter as she wanted to get the dog use to seeing and being around the scooter as he lead her through our big rehab center. He only had seen me when I was on the scooter for about a year as her office was in another part of the building. A couple of months ago her office got changed over to my side of the building. When I am teaching a student in the small braille classroom I leave the scooter in the hallway as that is the last room in the hall. One day Ann and Eddie came back from lunch and her office is 2 doors before the classroom. There are 2 offices before Ann's. As they walked down the hallway Eddie stopped and started to bark. Ann had no idea why until someone else came out and said my scooter was in the hallway. She thought that was odd until they told her I was not on it. Eddie didn't see me on the scooter, he saw only the scooter so he thought I as in trouble and wouldn't stop barking until Ann brought Eddie into the classroom to see me and know that I was ok. What a tail wagging and licking kissing on my hand I got from him. Once he saw I was ok he settled down in Anne's office and I went back to teaching my student.

I have a sheltie that can be pretty excitable and jump on you. I kept a large pillow on my lap as a barrier when I came home.

I honestly think they sense that we are delicate when we come home from surgery. I have Bernese Mountain Dogs & they knew to be careful around me.

Edited by Susan66

Animals are amazing @@ssflbelle

What a cool story!!!!! Animals are the best. I love mine so very much.

I have a pair of little schnauzers. Whenever I lay down, the older one lays down next to my right knee the other one usually lays down on my right shoulder. Works out good for me because the knee is shot and any extra warmth there feels great. The shoulder-dog is going to have to find a new spot when I get my shoulder repaired at some point in the future.

When I came home from this past hernia repair/sleeve surgery I spent a lot of time in the recliner......slept there at night, too.

The oldest jumps up and sleeps on the footrest, head on my knees. Puppy doesn't get in the chair unless I pick her up.

When I did make to the point where I'd get to the bed.....I'd sleep with two body pillows over my abdomen. Protected it from the dogs and it just felt good there.

An enthusiastic golden retriever is a different challenge than my little ankle biters. I wish I had solid advice for you that would help.

Looks like you have over a month until your surgery. Perhaps you can find a place to board the dog for that first week you come home ???