Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scary straight

Is anyone else scared about falling back into old habits? I've noticed that I am not eating the greatest lately and although I am still losing weight and not eating no where near what I used to...I am pretty scared I will fall in that again. Has anyone else felt this? Is it a faze? Maybe I just need a quick refresher of why I did this surgery in the first place. Any advice helps!!

I do occasionally. I use it as a reminder to stay focused on not only eating healthy, but being healthy. I'm never going back....that's my final decision.

It doesn't hurt to revisit your goals and to go back to basics.

Do you journal? Try writing out a list of what you can accomplish now that you couldn't do before surgery and what you still want to do. How is your life different? What do you want your life to look like?

Another thing that helps me is to reward myself. I have chosen to schedule massages when I get to some significant milestones. It gives me something to look forward to.

You may also want to consider making an appointment with your NUT to revisit your goals and/or attend some support group meetings.

In the meantime.

Follow your program.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein and Water.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as instructed.

And, exercise.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

This was actually a concern for me before I had surgery. I thought "well, what if it doesn't work?" Then I convinced myself that was a trivial concern and either I wanted to be thinner, or stay obese.

WLS is mostly about determination. There will always be hiccups regardless of the path you choose for weight loss. However, those who are successful in keeping the weight off don't stay discouraged because of bumps in the road.

I think we all stumble and have days where we don't make the best choices, I know I do anyway.

The important thing is that you recognize it as you have, and do something about it before it gets away from you.

I have always promised myself that if I get off track I will go back to the beginning. I would start with the 5 day pouch test and begin again as if I had surgery yesterday.

I will say however that the closer I get to goal, the more I want it. I recognize that I have had to work way too hard to lose this weight and get healthier. I have been restricted from exercise since June and prior to that I did 1 hour of cardio at least 5 days per week sometimes 7.

In June I had major spine surgery and another in November. I have another shoulder surgery coming up in February.

When all of these surgeries started in June I was terrified that I would stop losing and begin gaining weight. I am one of those people that look at food and I gain. I have had to work very very hard on my diet to ensure that I continue to lose.

The head games that come along with that can be overwhelming. I had had to learn little tricks so I don't focus on head hunger. For example I must keep my hands busy constantly so I have been crocheting like a crazy woman. I have learned to suck on those little sugar free icebreakers if I can't get my head straight. I have also started drinking hot teas. They are satisfying, sf and help to fulfill my liquid intake.

These for me are coping mechanisms that have helped me be successful in losing while not allowed to really exercise. To lose I have to be below 1000 calories and around 70 to 80 grams of Protein.

I stall between 1000 and 1200 calories and I gain if I go over that.

I track literally everything I put in my mouth which helps me hold myself accountable and more importantly make better decisions.

Yes I have had days where I will eat pizza or a piece of cheesecake but I account for them earlier in the day by making good choices. I also don't allow that to be the norm, it is only once in a while.

Also, I really don't tell myself I can't have that, I simply plan for it in my diet that day. I believe if I abstain it will only become a diet that I cannot follow long term. This way, it just became my new lifestyle.